5.5 Weeks! (Pic Heavy)

IvoryValentine01

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

the babies are gonna be 9 weeks old tomorrow. here are some pics of the special needs baby (it's a double tail but only has the center of its tail on 1 side & full on the other) I couldn't bare to cull cuz it gets around fine & has so much personality. it's grown like a weed in the 5 gallon tank with the heater especially since all it ever seems to do it eat...today I'm moving it to its own 10 gallon. I'm calling it Weirdo.

Spade8wks6days04_zpsa77901dc.jpg

Spade8wks6days03_zps67a39de9.jpg

Spade8wks6days05_zps07ce8d93.jpg

Spade8wks6days01_zpsfd12c20d.jpg

Spade8wks6days02_zps83b03cfc.jpg

Spade8wks6days08_zps8b4ab584.jpg

Spade8wks6days07_zps5ca5b2b2.jpg

Spade8wks6days06_zpsb5fffbb5.jpg

Weirdo, 9 weeks & 2 days...all settled into the 10 gallon...enjoying all the space...think it's actually grown a bit more since the move to the bigger tank a couple days ago as well. Also, Hubs has issues with me calling it Weirdo so trying to come up with a new suitable name...any ideas?

Weirdo9wks2days02_zps2d8753cd.jpg

Weirdo9wks2days01_zps47b1ba7c.jpg

Weirdo9wks2days03_zps1753150d.jpg

Weirdo9wks2days04_zpsb84a8357.jpg

I am just curious, why did you decide to grow out the fish with crooked backs, real long bodies, etc? I would think growing them all in all of these tubs would be a lot of work. As opposed to culling down to the fish that meet pet shop standards (for example,) so that the biggest and best looking all have more room to grow with less work for you?

Not trying to rag on you here, I am just curious as to why you decided to go this route.

Edited by GreenTea

There are only 21 double tails now (not counting Weirdo) & 15 single tails. At this time, I think there are only 2 with crooked backs. They get around fine & are of the biggest of the babies. Their flaws do not bother me if they aren't bothering them. Right now, they are in 18 gallon tubs...3 per tub with the exception of 3 tubs that have 4 (the babies in these tubs are on the smaller side). They have had & have plenty of room to grow & yeah, it's been a lot of work...keeping in mind that this is the first time I've done this & that there were 234 of them when they hatched & for the first month...I had to cull many at that point & then it was strictly the ones that weren't growing or had visible problems. As for pet shop standards, it's not really an issue since I myself will keep half the double tails (& Weirdo) & a friend of mine is taking the other half. the single tails are going to a friend of my husband's. I will try to get more up to date pics of the current lot some time today or tomorrow since the last ones up here of the tub babies are like 2 wks old now.

• 2 weeks later...

Awww he looks lovely.

Love his nice shiny Orange colour.

Mine are around 11wks now and I havent got any Oranges (so far) :/

So, my babies started to leave me for their new homes over the weekend. 8 of the double tails & 6 single tails...leaving me with just 13 double tails (not including Weirdo) & 9 single tails. so sad...but they gotta grow up sometime...& I have a whole new batch of hatchlings to raise now.