5.5 Weeks! (Pic Heavy)

IvoryValentine01

Sorry for the new post but the old one (Waitin on These Lil Buggers to Hatch) has gone all non-functional and locks up when I try to upload pics.

Anyways, the babies (I'm just calling them babies now) are 5.5 weeks old now. There are 65 double tails and 59 single tails. And they're getting sooo big!

DBT5Wks2Days01_zps2d8d8d06.jpg

DBT5Wks2Days02_zpsdb3c3d76.jpg

DBT5Wks2Days08_zps580f766e.jpg

DBT5Wks2Days13_zps45763028.jpg

DBT5Wks2Days10_zps488396b6.jpg

DBT5Wks2Days24_zps0fc8a263.jpg

DBT5Wks2Days20_zpsfba7983e.jpg

DBT5Wks2Days29_zps2abd5de9.jpg

DBT5Wks2Days40_zpse01db0e2.jpg

DBT5Wks2Days40_zpse01db0e2.jpg

DBT5Wks2Days30_zps1dafdfee.jpg

DBT5Wks2Days42_zpsf0a8786b.jpg

DBT5Wks2Days44_zps127c6e3a.jpg

DBT5Wks2Days43_zps4a43bbd5.jpg

DBT5Wks2Days21_zpsb75ee050.jpg

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks. I had originally only intended to keep 60 double tails...but most of the whitish pearly ones were on the smallish side of the biggest ones so I ended up keeping 75...but since then, I've lost 10 double tails...altho none of the white pearly ones. The single tails are all spoken for which is why I'm still growing them. There were 60...but one died last night. Raising them is quite a bit of work but we're doin' good tho.

They're mama is a lemon oranda (Lemon Drop)...all three mature males in the tank were involved in the chase and were there when the eggs flew (a black moor, a red & white ryukin & a calico ryukin)...some of the babies have started to develope tele eyes...so my black moor (Pug) has seemingly fathered at least some of them.

mama (Lemon Drop)...

WhiteOranda01_zps1832cd47.jpg

one of the daddies (Pug)...

Pug08_zps0e1302db.jpg

the other two possible daddies (Pongo & Flame)...

Cali04_zpsff45b2e0.jpg

RedampWhiteRyukin02_zpse96ae6fa.jpg

Thanks. The pics did turn out rather awesome...waaay better than the previous ones I've taken for the most part. They were out of their tubs at the time in a 3 gallon glass jar whilst I was cleaning their water...so the glass was much clearer than their tubs. It also helps that they're insanely active...makes for good action shots!

SOOOO adorable! Oh my goodness- if you end up with a white tele, I will absolutely die. My fav fish EVER, and so hard to find. :heart

there is one white, like literally white, double tail...and one white single tail...the others, of which there are many, are a more pearly white. I am keeping a very close eye on that one white double tail tho.

SOOOO adorable! Oh my goodness- if you end up with a white tele, I will absolutely die. My fav fish EVER, and so hard to find. :heart

there is one white, like literally white, double tail...and one white single tail...the others, of which there are many, are a more pearly white. I am keeping a very close eye on that one white double tail tho.

Awesome! I am looking forward to seeing pics of them as they grow. :D

Man that is really something my female drops eggs all the time but im not sure if my guy knows what to do or they all end up eating the egg. thanks for sharing the pictures good luck to you

How cute! I love the one that looks almost all white :)

I'm thinking that lil white one is gonna get it's own housing soon...I really want that one to thrive and grow. since I posted this when there were 65 double tails & 59 single tails, I lost 4 more double tails from various tubs and 1 more single tail, so down to 61 double tails & 59 single tails. I worry for that lil white one. I def think it needs it's own space.

also, my 3 shubunkins who grew like mad (they're like twice as big now...I suspect it's their bigger, uncrowded tank their living in) turned out to be 2 males & a female...they're aiming to breed now.

I have 5-12.5 gallon (50qt.) clear Sterlite tubs each running 2 sponge filters...2 for single tails...3 for double tails...I couldn't afford to go out and buy all kinds of new lighting so I had to use what I had here...2 tubs have fluorescent lights and the the others LED. I modified all the tub lids with center cut outs for lighting and holes for air tubing. All that being said, all 234 of them there originally were lived in a 10 gallon aquarium for the first month...then I split them up and started culling the lot down to a more managable number. I think I paid $5.50 each for the tubs...got them at Walmart.

I think they actually got quite a lot of room as of now.

The thing is though that if you are planning to grow them ALL out you will need to provide at least 3 gallon per fish with daily water changes or every other day, until they are about 1" body length so you can rehome them - OR you need to start culling to give the fish more room.

I hate culling though. I understand, but think it is wrong at the same time to dispose of a fish just because it does not meet the beauty standards. :/