• * Ph Level, (Tank) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.6
  • * Ph Level, (Tap) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.6
    Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? fry tank, 1 sponge filter
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? prime
  • * Water temperature? 72 F
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? daily 50%

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? yesterday 50%
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 29 gallon filled to 15 gallons to keep water level low for fry
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 1/4" maybe? tiny and there are about 75
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? frozen baby brine shrimp, soaked pellets, gel food
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? no
  • * Any medications added to the tank? Yes , I will explain below
  • * List previous issues experienced (dropsy, SBD, etc.)none
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Yes, Ill explain below
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? No
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.

.3% salt and prazi

• * You can really help us to identify with the concern more accurately if you post some pictures and a short video.

So this is just terrible. About five days ago some of my fry started having jaw problems, mouth being stuck completely open, kind of like a parrot ciclid's mouth. I though this was a normal fry deformity since this is my first time fry keeping. I culled these fish and thought nothing of it. Over time more that were previously fine were coming down with this issue. I started to add salt to the tank because I suspected flukes, because the main tank is having a possible fluke problem and the sponge filter in the fry tank was from the main tank. By last night (saturday) I had the salt up to .3% and added prazi to the tank. Everything seemed fine. I just came home from work and 1/3 of them are dead. All have this open mouth that are dead. There are about 20 more still alive with the mouth open but I am pretty sure they are goners :(. SO I know I may lose my spawn but I am hoping for help to maybe save the remaining fry. I have EVERYTHING on hand, salt, epson salt, MMs, MG (although feeding a pellet food would be difficult since they are still so small, metrozidonal powder, kanaplex, and prazi. I am also worried that this issue maybe connected to my main tank because the mother ranchu is having issues on a separate thread.

• If you have questions ask and I will answer, I know this is a lot of information up front. I would post pics but I think they may be too small for my camera to show that kind of detail.

I wonder if maybe they are still too young for pellets and gel food and it's getting stuck in their mouth/throat.

How long have you been feeding that? Was it before or after this issue started?

Edited by happysnapper

Its not that because I can watch them and then they open their mouth and then can't shut it while just swimming around. They are also seizing and then die afterwards. Also I first spotted open mouthers before feeding the gel. I didn't even start soaked pellets until a few days ago. And I mean SOAKED like falling apart powder. They are 27 days old.

Please someone advice, they are dying in front of me! :(

Flukes can break the jaws of small fish so this is what I think it is as well. I'm really sorry Allison. I hope some make it. Its what I thought of immediately. This makes it impossible to eat and move water over the gills for oxygen.

At this point a fairly aggressive treatment might be your best bet since there appears to be a bad infestation.

Hugs to you, I'm really sorry.

Edited by GreenTea

At .3% salt, should you double dose the prazi? I think I read somewhere that prazi is made less effective when used along with salt, so using a higher dose of prazi with salt over .1% is best. I'm not 100% sure this is safe for fry so young, but if they were mine and dying at a rate yours are, I would probably double the prazi. I really hope some make it! :heart

Oh, that's horrible. I hope some survive. Flukes suck, I never realised they were such a problem. It'd be good if they could invite something similar to dogs flea treatments, so you have a preventative against flukes from ever getting on your fish. But I doubt that could ever happen.

Oh, that's horrible. I hope some survive. Flukes suck, I never realised they were such a problem. It'd be good if they could invite something similar to dogs flea treatments, so you have a preventative against flukes from ever getting on your fish. But I doubt that could ever happen.

Its called praziquantel :) There are other ways too.

Its called praziquantel :) There are other ways too.

But is praziquantel a treatment rather than a preventative? If you get what I mean. To stop you're dog from getting fleas you put a liquid on them on their neck, but if your dog was to be infested by fleas you'd give them a flea bath, maybe some other treatment, antibiotics (if they had scratched themselves really bad) and then start the preventative treatment.

As what I've picked up on praziquantel does not completely kill the flukes or eggs? Yet flea treatment treats the whole flea cycle :)

I don't know in the end though!

Edited by Andrea

Some members treat with prazi on a yearly or 2x a year basis as a preventative. I will probably adopt this habit as well now. Prazi does not kill all stages, you are right, but we do multiple cycles of prazi to kill all of them off.

Prazi only works to kill the parasites, when there are actual parasites to kill, whether this is in fish, dogs, or humans.

What we mean by using it as a preventative is that we prevent this from ever becoming a clinical/disease issue. It is thought that because flukes are extremely hard, if not impossible to eradicate, there will always be some number of flukes present on the fish. Periodic treatment with Prazi keeps this number low, preventing disease manifestation. :)

Prazi only works to kill the parasites, when there are actual parasites to kill, whether this is in fish, dogs, or humans.

What we mean by using it as a preventative is that we prevent this from ever becoming a clinical/disease issue. It is thought that because flukes are extremely hard, if not impossible to eradicate, there will always be some number of flukes present on the fish. Periodic treatment with Prazi keeps this number low, preventing disease manifestation. :)

Haha that's exactly what I meant, just not so good with the words. So in the end it's a major pity there isn't something that can do this. I guess also people put a lot more research into dog diseases rather than fish as also there is more money in it. But I'll stop hijacking this thread now!

Andrea, you CAN use Prazi to do that. :)

Oh I totally understand that and I'm not disagreeing. But I know what I mean inside my brain haha. It's still not the same as flea treatment which will kill any flea that jumps onto your dog and their eggs too. While a prazi treatment only kills the current adult flukes in your tank. Prazi seems more like a flea bath rather than the once a month stuff we put on our dog which stops her from getting any fleas on her at all :)

I don't know, ignore me :P

No, it's a good discussion :)

Flea meds can be used as a preventative because the meds can stick around on the pet skin for a long time after application. Unfortunately, I don't think there is anything quite like that for fish and flukes. :(