Sign in to follow this  
Mernany

filling hollow decor?

Hi guys!

So i just bought a sphinx online as an aquarium decoration but it's hollow... :( I'm wondering if there are any tips on how i could fill the decoration so i could use it safely in my tank. There are little holes on both sides on both does but i don't think they would help with water flow...

Put a bubble stone inside of it :) this will prevent stagnant water and it will look nice.

I was going to suggest the air stone too, but you will need an exit for the air at the TOP of the ornament. Otherwise it will fill with air and then flip.

Usually it is easy to just drill a couple small holes into it, carefully. :)

And of course, vacuum underneath it with every water change as gunk will still collect underneath the ornament.

I think the airstone would be great too. If you don't want to do this though you can fill the ornament with gravel/rock/sand and then use aquarium safe silicone to close the bottom hole (and I suppose you'd need to put some in the little holes to close them as well). I have never done it myself but I have heard people suggest using a piece of plastic from an old cd case to put over the bottom hole and silicone this to the ornament to seal

Hmmm I like the air stone idea!