Sign in to follow this  
mygoldfishmylife

How to hand feed fish?

When i try to, the food either goes away when i put my hand in the water or the fish never come by me :(

Sakura has a video here on this.

What are you feeding with?

Soaking with garlic will attract the goldies faster.

Blanched veggies are normally easier to hold onto and don't degrade as fast as gel food :)

I feed them peas and pellets. Can i just get any type of veggie, wash it and cut it up and feed them?

Any vegetable but pay special caution to any type of cabbage (broccoli, califlower, asparagus etc). If it can cause gas in humans it'll cause gas in goldfish, that can cause floatiness in some fish. Also try to shell anything that needs shelled (beans, peas, etc)

Any other vegetable is alright, blanch it for a few second with boiling water or in the microwave so it is presoftened so the fish don't have as much trouble ripping it off :)

Especially when you're training them to hand feed, you'll want something with a strong irresistible smell. Like Una suggested, garlic should get their attention . ..

Good luck. :D

Keep in mind, once they are used to hand feeding, anytime you put your hand in the tank (WCs, tank rearranging/decorating/planting, etc) they will be right there nibbling you! :rofl

I have had some luck training mine to hand feed and the one thing I recommend is patience. Most likely their experience with hands in the tank has been some sort of commotion (moving things around, trying to catch them, etc...) and they need to get used to the hand being something good.

Sakura has a video here on this.

That's a great video! Thanks.

What are you feeding with?

Soaking with garlic will attract the goldies faster.

Blanched veggies are normally easier to hold onto and don't degrade as fast as gel food :)

I just rub garlic on my hand, right?

Edited by mygoldfishmylife

I just rub garlic on my hand, right?

The garlic goes on the food.

Otherwise, the goldfish won't be going after the food. They'll be going after you. So you better count your fingers afterwards if you rub it on your fingers! :rofl

I usually add garlic to the water I am blanching the food in. This way it soaks in (: