Sign in to follow this  
VicMao

How to Feed Fruit?

Hi guys! :)

I'm going to the grocery store tonight, and I wanted to get some frozen peas, some spinach, and some grapes to vary up Baxter's diet. Yay! :D

But I was wondering...how do you feed a fish some fruit? I've read a lot about peas and spinach, but what about fruit? How would I give Baxter his grapes? Cut them up into teeny pieces? Mash them? Also...canned spinach or fresh baby spinach? Any help would be *much* appreciated. :)

Hi vic mao im no expert at all but i think that you get a masher or a grinder, and grind it all up into litle blocks and then feed it, im not expert so this is just a sujjestion

I have never tried grapes, but I bet you can just take the skin off and cut the grape into goldfish bit-size pieces. :) Also, orange slices are very healthy.

I like to feed fresh spinach (but of course soften it by microwaving it in some water first). I'm sure you could feed canned if you want, just make sure there is no added salt or anything.

I have never tried feeding grapes, but I would just make sure they have no seeds and then either cut it into small pieces or clip a small piece to a veggie clip. But please remember that fruit is a special occasion 'treat' kind of snack, not something that you want to feed too regularly because it is high in sugar. I feed fruit only every couple weeks, and just a small amount at a time. Leafy greens like spinach are more beneficial in the long run :)

Mine just blow orange back out :wacko:

Sparsely.

Fruits are high in sugar and should be fed only rarely. Mine only get some citrus fruit every few weeks. They don't even care much for it but prefer small bits of fresh tomato - which still contains a lot of sugar and should b feed only occasionally as well :)

Like Fang, I don't see why one would feed fish high-sugar foods.

Fang, tomato doesn't have much sugar at all, in spite of the sweetness.

Like Fang, I don't see why one would feed fish high-sugar foods.

Fang, tomato doesn't have much sugar at all, in spite of the sweetness.

Good to know!! I was told to leave the tomatoes out of my mother in law's salad because of the sugar. Her doctor told her that. Should have researched that! :D

I think it depends on the tomato. I've had ones that are -very- sweet, as tomatoes go anyway, and I've had some that were savory and meaty.

Look it up. Tomatoes are so low in carbs that they are one of the "salad vegetables" recommended to eat in the "induction phase" of the Atkins diet in which one eats no more than a total of 20 g of nutritional carbs a day. You can't judge sugar content by sweetness. Milk is loaded with sugar and isn't sweet at all. The right combinations of of sugars can be sweeter than a higher quantity of sucrose.

A whole cherry tomato has less than a half gram of sugar (analysis says 0 grams), and those are sweet. That tomato would feed quite a few goldfish. :)

For me the guiding principle for feeding fish isn't that variety is best (that's for humans to get complete nutrition, and to satisfy the palate). If you are feeding something that is already nutritionally complete, I don't see the point of adding even more land-based things to your fish's diet.

A big huge thank you to everyone who responded!! You all were such a big help. Baxter will love his peas, and the occasional grape. :D

I am real new at Goldfish, but my goldfish go nuts of peas. I use the steam in the bag type, pinch it to take the skin off and then before putting it in the tank I mush it. Sometimes some insides are harder then others, I never feed those to my fish only the mushiest ones. You should see how happy they get when they eat peas. When I first got my goldfish I only fed them flakes, and when I added peas 1 or 2 times a week, I saw there colors get a bit brighter. I was neat to watch. One fish lost all his black coloring (not ammonia burn, his dad was a comet shabunkin mix, so black was natural) his name was tiger cause he was orange with black strips. Once the peas were added, he lost his black. LOL He was also young so it might have happened anyways, but the timing was funny. :)

I think it depends on the tomato. I've had ones that are -very- sweet, as tomatoes go anyway, and I've had some that were savory and meaty.

I think that you are talking about Grape Tomatoes ( the sweet ones ) they are the ones that are high in sugar. :D

in summer i will throw in a quater piece size of frozen orange every now and then with no rhine. Ranchu thrashes it about taking bites or sometimes she will just push it around till its no longer cold. I scoop out what ever is left after an hour. when i make it small like one bite size she does not care about it so i think it is more for a bit of entertainment. Frozen peas are good any time of year but no skin. I defrost one a bit under running water pop it out of the skin and in to the tank. I always leave them whole so she can play with it and work on it she was pretty good at taken out chuncks now she just eats it in one go.

Have tried other things but that is all she has cared for.

you can get lettuce/seaweed clips from the pet store or on line its a clip with a suction cup. Your fish might like that :)