wow

EdgarTheFish

I saw that last week at work, almost posted it here too.

IT'S SO PRETTY!!!!

But yeah, I don't think they have any fishies in there, I don't know what COULD live in there with all the current and waterfalls. Salmon?

I don't. That would cost more to maintain than to build. One could find a lot with a stream through it and build a beautiful house on it for way less money, and zero maintenance. You'd still have money left over to make a beautiful fish-friendly pond.

There better be fish in that. At least a few... Just my opinion, but in an age of West Nile virus, _not_ keeping fish in a pond for mosquito control is irresponsible.

~Bruce

I love the look of this pond. A bit much for me but some of the others on their site are more realistic and elegant. Also, their mission as a company is amazing. Their a nonprofit organization innovating to bring water to countries that desperately need a fresh water source.

I don't. That would cost more to maintain than to build. One could find a lot with a stream through it and build a beautiful house on it for way less money, and zero maintenance. You'd still have money left over to make a beautiful fish-friendly pond.

My thoughts as well.

Of course the builders deserve a ton of praise for mimicking nature, but when I looked at this, it just felt overwhelming.

It looks so totally artificial to me, and the roar is terrible. They start out showing a large number of waterfalls pouring water into a disappearing pool. That's where the water goes through rocks into that 50k gallon underground reservoir. The rocks will need to be cleaned out regularly at huge expense. From the relatively small volume of water they have on the top, this whole system is very shallow. It's Aquascape, so the bottom is covered with a thick layer of stones for which they provide dozens of "bacterial preparations" which "digest the sludge," "clarify the water," etc. These alone add up to hundreds of dollars a year for a small pond, and would be probably tens of thousands for this. Even with all of these wonderful "natural" products, they provide regular cleaning services. Every 2-5 years they come out and dig out all of the rocks, pressure wash them, clean the muck out of the bottom and replace everything. This costs thousands of dollars for a smallish koi pond. I can't even think how much it would cost for this monstrosity.

I think if you can afford to have someone build something like this on your property, affording maintenance won't be an issue.

Edited by Smegy Psiren

I agree with Smegy.. if I could throw 1 million dollars into a man-made river for my backyard then I probably wouldn't be one to worry about maintenance costs either..

While that may be all true, this makes for a very difficult to sell property. He will have also committed himself to years of crazy expense.