Sign in to follow this  
VicMao

Paranoid About Cycling

Hi all! :hi

It's Day 4 of cycling Baxter's newest tank. I'm just really anxious and paranoid about it, I guess. I'm really terrified I'm going to do something wrong with testing the water quality. For example, on Wednesday night I changed the water in the new tank for the first time to bring the ammonia down to 0, and it was successful. But yesterday morning and afternoon I checked the water again using my Tetra EasyStrips, and it said the ammonia was still 0...so I let it go without changing the water yesterday. I checked the water again this morning/afternoon, and the color chart for the EasyStrips was still reading 0. But the water was slightly cloudy (maybe that was my paranoia too... :P ), and I got all worried that my kit wasn't reading right so I changed about 90% of the water. Was that bad of me? I just *really* don't want Baxter to get sick during this process...I'm so worried about him, even though his behavior is totally normal and happy and beggy-for-foody. :P I am so afraid of being a bad fishy parent... I ordered the API Freshwater Master Kit on Amazon tonight, and it should be here Tuesday/Wednesday. Until then, I'll use my strips, but just in case the ammonia is hard to read for me, should I continue changing the water every day? Maybe not 90% every day, but if the ammonia goes almost 2 whole days as still reading 0, (almost, but not quite, leaning towards the .25 color), should I consider changing the water 60% or so? I am sooooo paranoid. xD I mostly just want comfort/advice about this. I'm sure you guys know how I'm feeling...yay for support groups. :)

On a lighter, happier note, Baxter will officially have been adopted a week ago tomorrow!!! YAY!!! :D I love him so stinking much. :3

Hello. How big is your tank and fish? How many are there?

Cycling with fish can be a little stressful because of all the water changes, but you will be fine.

I have 1 fish, Baxter, in a 10 gallon. I know and plan to follow the rules on 20 gallon tanks, and it's kind of a long story...just know that I'll be upgrading soon and that I really do care about Baxter. :)

As I said on the other thread do a consistent daily water change (I suggested you start at ~ 3 gallons, an amount that has worked for me with one small fish in a 10 gallon) every day as long as the ammonia and nitrite read zero. What you are trying to do is find the water change amount that will keep your fish healthy. If it reads 0.5 or higher do a large enough change to get the reading back to zero and up your daily change to 4 gallons. Do not decrease the amount of water changed or skip a water change for at least 3 weeks, which is the minimum time required for cycling. If you establish a water change that keeps ammonia/nitrite down and do it every day, there is nothing to stress about.

^^Agreed. Fish do OK with cycling as long as you stay on top of the water changes. Trust me, with the way you're watching the water params, you are going to be more stressed out than Baxter. :rofl

Hang in there. You are doing just fine. :D

As I said on the other thread do a consistent daily water change (I suggested you start at ~ 3 gallons, an amount that has worked for me with one small fish in a 10 gallon) every day as long as the ammonia and nitrite read zero. What you are trying to do is find the water change amount that will keep your fish healthy. If it reads 0.5 or higher do a large enough change to get the reading back to zero and up your daily change to 4 gallons. Do not decrease the amount of water changed or skip a water change for at least 3 weeks, which is the minimum time required for cycling. If you establish a water change that keeps ammonia/nitrite down and do it every day, there is nothing to stress about.

Thank you very much, shakaho. Thanks for being patient too, and answering and re-answering my questions. :wub: I really appreciate it, and I'm sorry if I was repeating the same question. This makes me feel a lot better.

^^Agreed. Fish do OK with cycling as long as you stay on top of the water changes. Trust me, with the way you're watching the water params, you are going to be more stressed out than Baxter. :rofl

Hang in there. You are doing just fine. :D

Haha, it's very true. :D Thank you, fantailfan1. I just need to breathe and stick to my routine. :P

Are you using prime or similar to detoxify ammonia and nitrites? Also did you already post in another thread your tap ph and kh? Prime will detoxify up to 1.0 ammonia and/or nitrites.

I cycled with fish in too and it was very stressful because I worried about the fish like you are. I had 2 in a 20g and did a 75% water change daily but that was because my ammonia would rise to about .5 every day.

If you are using prime or amquel plus I think some people use, this will keep your fish safe in between water changes if there is a little ammonia or nitrites in the water.