stocking levels large tanks

Cohazard

Getting a new large tank soon, and from what I've read, general consensus is 20g per fish.

I feed sparingly twice a day to avoid water quality issues, what would the recommended stock levels be for these tanks:

120g

150g

225g

240g

Those are my options,im leaning towards the largest tank.

• Admin

Serg Great thinking and yes 20 gallons per fish actually... My two monsters live in a 50 gallon tank with to filters. They get feed three times a day.... pro gold in the morning, then Spinach, then progold in the evening... :)

I always say give them more room the happier they will be :) Also less problems. :)

Just divide the total gallons by 20. I think you would do better to go for one fish per 30 gallons. Definitely don't use the "rule" of 20 gallons for the first fish and 10 for each additional fish on a large tank. For even 100 gallons, that would give you 9 fish, each with a whopping 11 gallons.

As for following the small aquarium recommendation of an absolute minimum of 15 gallons per fish, remember that assumes you are changing 50% of the water at least once a week, and have excellent filtration.

Thanks for the help guys. I will definitely be within the 10-20g per fish rule of thumb.

I am planning to keep the large tank in my bedroom and still debating with my gf what size tank we can fit in the living room.

Originally I wanted 110g in the living room, but we might be restricted to 65g.

I want the fish to grow huge but I want the tank to look full too.

I will be monitoring water quality tightly especially as they grow and increase water changes accordingly.

I tend to acquire full-sized goldfish. 3 adult ranchus in a 46 gallon bow front is perfect for me. The more densely you stock, though, the more those big water changes become very important.

Remember, even given all the space in the world, a goldfish will only grow as big as its genetics dictate. Although you stand a much better chance of helping it reach its full potential in a large volume of water.

Edited by RanchuDressing

How exciting!!

You can also make a big tank look 'full' with lots of nice live plants while you are waiting for your fish to grow :)

There will be plenty of those :)

I cant wait to pick out a nice large centerpiece driftwood. Even if i have to smooth out the rough edges.

• Admin

How exciting!!

You can also make a big tank look 'full' with lots of nice live plants while you are waiting for your fish to grow :)

There will be plenty of those :)

I cant wait to pick out a nice large centerpiece driftwood. Even if i have to smooth out the rough edges.

Oh be careful.. last time I did that I caused Septicemia in my tank and killed two fish :yikes

Adding driftwood caused septicemia? Ill have to soak and bake the wood then to be safe.

What kind of wood did you use koko? I plan on malaysian driftwood.

Edited by Serg

How exciting!!

I was just about to say the exact same thing. A nice, well-scaped jungle can really fill up a tank, and make your fish feel right at home. :)

• Admin

Adding driftwood caused septicemia? Ill have to soak and bake the wood then to be safe.

What kind of wood did you use koko? I plan on malaysian driftwood.

That was the wood I had... It fit the tank perfectly from end to end... but It had so many hollow spots in it that it caused stagnant areas in the wood, Eventually the tank smelled like a sewer and two fish just had redness all over... I pulled out the log and boy oh boy did it smell.... Its cause of the hollow spots in the logs when they get so big :(

Honestly start slow and you will find your stocking level that works for you. Every fish you add means you need to adjust feeding amounts, water changes (either through amount or frequency), possibly filtrations or environment adjustments (more plants, less ornaments etc).

Start with one or two, Qt them, observe for a few months, then repeat. You will find your limit that works for you :)

I have 8 in 140 gals, that is my max.

Looking at the cost of two 150g tanks, it makes more sense to just get my dream tank, a 300g.

Aquarium Masters (local tank fabricator) offers two sizes: 96x24"x30, or a 360g 96"x30"x30"

Ive kept aquariums for years including a 180g, im very comfortable with the ammount of maintenance required.

I also am familiar with managing goldfish waste, however this setup is most likely going to have substrate.

Crazy I know, but bi weekly thurough gravel vacs, and weekly 80% water changes are well worth the awe of a large community of goldfish monsters IMHO.

Whether I go with dual 150's or a single 300 - 360 behemoth, this tank will be my masterpiece.

If you can, I would go with the single larger tank personally. I like the dimensions better than the 150 gallons (but that's my personal preference... if you're going to go big, I'd rather have 96" of length over 48")