Sign in to follow this  
doddmatic

Got a larger tank to upgrade to. What now?

Hey guys

So I'm relatively new to the goldfish keeping game and I wound up putting three fish in a 75 Litre (20 Gallon) aquarium, when I discovered the error of my ways

I took a vow to find a larger tank as soon as possible but my budget is quite limited. While I would like to upgrade to a 200 Litre (53 Gallon) tank next year I've

managed to find myself a nice 155 (41 Gallon) Litre to use in the meantime, hoorah!

I'm going to pick the new tank up this weekend and take my time establishing it, but what would be the best way to do it?

At present I have a 75 Litre with a Fluval U2 Filter and all of my water parms are good, I have gravel as a substrate but I would like to move away from that,

I was thinking of a bare bottom, some bogwood, river rocks, potted plants, with maybe a little patch of gravel kept for the fish to forage around.

The new tank will come with An Aqua One Maxi Internal filter, I'm not sure of the size capacity yet but it might be the 103f, 104f. Hopefully I can combine this new filter

and my Fluval to provide optimal filtration, thought I might go for an external later on.

My real question is, what is the best way to proceed with the new setup? Can I make use of my existing filter media or water to get the cycle started?

Is it possible to clean out the new tank and move everything across including the water, filter, fish? Just keep the tank half full and 'top up' the tank with

a few extra litres of prime treated water periodically until the tank is almost full? Would that be a stupid idea?

Let me know what you think, or if there is a good post on this somewhere on the forums could you point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance

Derek

Hi Derek, congratulations on the new tank. Clean it out well - plenty of threads on the forum about how to do that - and then move everything (but not water - use all new treated water).

Run your old, cycled, filter and the new filter(s). The BBs in the old filter will eventually begin living in the new filter media.

You can simply fill the tank, treat with conditioner and move the fish so long as the ph and temp are the same as in the old tank.

Susan

That's great Susan, thanks. I'll have a look into threads on cleaning right away. Feeling a bit giddy :)

Susan gave you excellent advice. I just wanted to add. . . don't forget the pics once the new tank is set up!! :rofl

+1 on pics. Watch your water parameters initially. Sometimes when you move your old filter to a new tank, you'll see a small bump. When I moved tanks, I never had a problem, but sometimes people do. Better to be safe than sorry!

Congratulations on your new tank!!!

Congrats on your new tank.. But maybe im wrong but 10 gallons is that not 45 litres?

Sorry my bad ^^ lack of sleep playing tricks :rofl

Edited by FlipsHere

45 Imperial gallons but 38 of the... Hardt and Negri variety???

So, funny story. I get to the chaps house and the '150 litre' advertised looks a whole lot smaller than I expected, I take a tape measure out, run the dimensions through

some website on my phone and convince myself that it is indeed that size, despite what my eyes are telling me.

I took it home yesterday, filled it up and it's really somewhere between 90 and 95 litres! approximately 20 (not 75/80) litres larger than my existing. I felt quite foolish, the price was definitely too good to be true. The guy seemed like he would take it back but I noticed - just as I had brought the second tank home - that my own has sprung a leak! There is water collecting around the trim in one corner and underneath one side of the bottom pane.

So, long story short, I'm sticking with the newer tank, despite my disappointment

I figure though that if I reseal the old tank, I should be able to sell that and the giant piece of bog-wood the guy sold me for enough to make the whole affair cost neutral. Still, I'll have to put off that dream

of adding a fourth fish to my tank for a while longer :(

I'll still post picks though, it doesn't look half bad, though I'm in between plants at the moment as my two moors - having been introduced to pond weed earlier this week - developed

a taste for foliage and destroyed both of my aquatic plants in about five days straight!

sorry it wasn't as big as he advertised :( that is too bad, but at least you had a tank to replace your leaky one with!

I suppose in a strange way it was quite lucky, and I got some nice river rocks so it wasn't all bad!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

The above is a picture of the lads in their new diggs. Turns out the 'custom lid' I got with it was a bit crap so I've got a smaller one perched on some timber until I can build something better.

I'm also on the look out for a bigger tank.

It looks good Derek. People have no idea what size their tanks are. I have no idea what size our smaller tank is :)

A quick update on this, a week after setting it up I found somebody willing to sell me a 220 litre tank even cheaper, close to 60 gallons

or so for those 'across the pond' I think. Very excited..... here's hoping it fits in the house.

Nice. Hope it is just what your looking for.

Picked it up today! Much to do

p3D5je8.jpg

Edited by doddmatic

Congratulations on finding even a bigger tank. You are going to have a lot of fun decorating your 60g. Keep us posted! Your fish are adorable by the way.

Woot woot! New tank I'm excited to see it all set hp

OMG. I just glanced quickly and thought to myself, "That's an interesting really tall column tank!" :rofl

:Congrats:

Ha, my moor does like to swim vertically at the front of the tank, he'd probably get more exercise if it was oriented that way.

Just set up the new tank, using a temporary light and have to add another filter but it's definitely an improvement e4yrezud.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

It looks so wonderful! Congratulations on a great new tank!