Kind of morbid...but...cleaning a snail shell?

TetraLover

Just lost the Blue Mystery snail and I was wondering if there was a non-stinky way to keep the shell?

We just got 2 new mystery snails too, a red one and a brown stripey one. The red was going to be Blue's buddy in the Chi :(

You'll have to remove the snail body from the shell. Tweezers could work. After that, I would think a little soak in a concentrated saltwater solution would disinfect things nicely (and hopefully won't break down the shell).

When I've had snails die the shell just kind of started breaking down in the water. Maybe it was related to the snail's body disintegrating inside? Anyway, that leads me to think that it might not work if you plan on keeping it in the tank as a decoration but I'm sure someone else can give you a more experienced answer on that.

A while back a nerite dug itself into my ecocomplete and died, and I found him a few water changes later while I was vacuuming the gravel lightly. Only his shell was left so I just tossed it. :rofl this story is absolutely no help at all. Sorry!

Not trying to be morbid but I've always only found the shells after the snail was dead in the tank for a few days. In the meantime, the fish had feasted on the body and there was only a fully empty, non-smelly shell left. Letting it dry fully will also get rid of bacteria, since there is nothing left to feed on for them. :)

Yeah, I took it out of the tank and it isn't going back in. Don't want to have the new one be scarred for life by it's dead friend it only new for a few hours.

Left the shell next to the kitchen sink in a small tupperware with the body inside since I couldn't get it out. Forgot about it for 2 days. WORST IDEA EVER. Putting it out in the garage would've been the best idea I think.

OMG no amount of bleach is going to get the smell out of the tupperware OR my nose!!!!!

....at least the shell is clean now? LOL!!!!

Yeah, I took it out of the tank and it isn't going back in. Don't want to have the new one be scarred for life by it's dead friend it only new for a few hours.

Left the shell next to the kitchen sink in a small tupperware with the body inside since I couldn't get it out. Forgot about it for 2 days. WORST IDEA EVER. Putting it out in the garage would've been the best idea I think.

OMG no amount of bleach is going to get the smell out of the tupperware OR my nose!!!!!

....at least the shell is clean now? LOL!!!!

Ewwie, should have put it outside for the ants to clean out for you lol

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so I know this thread is kinda old, and the OP's question has been sorta answered through the virtue of time... BUT, for the record...

The best way to remove a snail body from the shell is to let it sit IN THE TANK for a couple of days. Fish and bacteria (mostly the later) will VERY quickly consume the snail body, leaving you a pristine, unsmelly, shell.

Empty shells in a tank: The reason some break down, and some don't, is due to water chemistry, the harder the water, the longer the shell will last, the softer, the faster it breaks up. In our tanks, snail shells work much the same way as coral, or calcium-based rocks (the kind that fizz when you put vinegar on them). Also, a faster current will speed up this process. one of my snails got stuck INSIDE my AC, the remains of her shell now resemble lace, while those of my snails who have died in the tank left normal looking shells.