New Gold Mystery snails

Jessijaxx

I just got 2 cute little Gold mystery snails which my daughter named Hikaru & Kaoru. I also got some omega one veggie rounds for them. I droped a few into the tank and the fish love them and i'm worried that the snails wont get any food. Is there anything I could do to make sure the snails are getting food? Also should i cover the back of my tank do you think they would escape? F1C77CD0-DCAB-4909-A1F5-63508921A0E5-38006-00002ADC2A5F5706_zps876d73a8.jpg

They won't come out of the tank, you can leave it uncovered.

Try waiting until the fish are asleep, sneak in, and drop a little food in the back of the tank as silently as possible, and without waking the fish.

Alternately, you can just take the snails out to a lidded tub with a little tank water for a few hours every other day, or so, and feed them an algae wafer that way. They'll tuck back into their shells when you take them out of the tank, but mystery snails really don't seem to mind being handled regularly like this, and will certainly eat while in the tub, especially if you give them a little darkness while they're dining.

Very cute snails. Congrats on the new friends! :D

EDIT: They will only need 1 algae wafer for both of them every other day, even as adults. You could even get away with 1 algae wafer for both of them every 3 days- they don't require a lot of food to be healthy and growing. Make sure to supplement their calcium for shell growth, though.

Edited by JamieMonster

One other thing you want to do for mystery snails is to leave some space between the water line and top of tank (about an inch or so). They will go up to the water line to breathe (you'll see them stick a little siphon out) and will lay eggs above the water line if they ever have any :)