Sign in to follow this  
GreenTea

What does your fishkeeping do for you?

"I've been keeping fish for over 30 years, so at this point I can't really imagine NOT having them."

This is how I feel also. I got my first aquarium when I was 16...I'm now in my 40's, and have had fish that whole time, except when I was in college. But for most of those 30 years, I've only had tropical fish. I decided to buy a second aquarium last year for goldfish, and I'm so glad I did. I love my tropical fish, but the goldfish are SO active that I find myself just staring at them. I have them near my TV, so very often I'm watching the fish instead of the TV. :)

I love fish because I love to create their homes. I like making aquascapes that are pleasant to look at and be thoughtfull of the fishes needs at the same time (and the needs of the plants). Sometimes that can be a challenge. I've had angelfish for a while and their home is always a work in progress. I met a goldfish about 20 yrs ago that I could never get off my mind. He was an Oranda that was about 10 or 11 inches with another 7 or 8 inches of tail. He was so huge and graceful and friendly. Finally I decided to get one (three months ago) and put it in a 75 gal. tank (his name is Butters). Well, he looked really lonely so he needed a friend so I got another. After that it became a playground and there are four. I love these goldfish. I watch them spend their days picking around and hanging out with each other and they're all right there when I walk in the door doing their dance. My little water puppies are so funny and I've gotten more attached to them than any other fishes. I think their best friend is the food hand.

I fell into this completely. I noticed my bf was taking a load of stuff to the tip including an old fish tank. I rescued it with the intention of using it for an art project. He then moved house shortly after and we bought googles along with 2 others as a kinda house warming thing.

Although I knew nothing about fish, I fell in love with them all. I love all creatures (hence why I keep a rescued grass hopper in my bedroom!) Although I find keeping fish adds stress to my life (a huge amount if I'm honest) It's my love for them, especially Googles, that makes me keep going with it.

Having said that, there are a few things about keeping them that does relieve stress for me. Redecorating is one! I love changing the layout although its tricky because Googs needs a lot of floor space and the tank isn't very big. But I do love trying to make it as stimulating for them and as pleasing for me as possible. Secondly, it's researching about them. I never thought I would find learning about them so intriguing and relaxing, I probably really do learn something new most days!

Thirdly, it's thanks to Googs why I'm part of this lovely and amazing fish community. Although I've never met any of you, your support and friendship is amazing and my darling baby googles would have been a goner ages ago if it wasn't for you guys. Thank you x

I just like watching them poop and then cleaning up the poop. Am I alone on this?

I love this reply so much!! :)

Everyone has such a great story :) Thanks for sharing.

Black, is googles your telescope?

Yea, my orange and black silly sausage fish :)

I keep goldfish in large part for the great love and respect I have for them. I truly believe that they are the greatest fish in the world, which makes my job of caring for them that much easier. Not to mention the fact that goldfish need a lot of filtration, and I just so happen to love learning about and working on filters of any kind.

Well I had always wanted a big tank of fish. But I was waiting until we settled down .... the fish just came to us .. LOL

But I love to sit and watch the tank. I love how when I stick my hand in the tank they are not afraid of me and sometimes brush up against my hand (mostly on accident I think, but it doesn't scare them) I love when we make fish faces at each other. I love that late moment at night when the kids are in bed, the house is quite except for the tank running and I watch them eat there bedtime meal (snack). I love how they have grown in a few short months. I love learning about them. And now that I know how many people abuse them I want to help them even more. They are beautiful fish, they are interactive, they are gentle. First thing every morning I go to the tank and say hi and they come too .... I love planning out the next thing for them. someway I can make there life better.

And I love that most my fish were rescued fish. And that they have had a better life here then what otherwise would have been. If I hadn't rescued them and accepted this responsibility then they would have died months ago.

I've always been an animal lover, but was never really interested in fish to be honest. Then one year, my brother was given a small tank with 2 goldfish for Christmas by a friend of his. He didn't particularly want the fish, kept them for about a year before offering them up for rehoming, which is where I stepped in!

The fish were originally in a 20 litre tank, which I quickly upgraded to a 90L, then a 200L, and now they're in a 500L! :P I now also have two tropical tanks and a tank for a rescued african clawed frog... so I've gone from having no interest in aquatics whatsoever, to having four tanks up and running! :D

I enjoy maintaining the tanks and watching the fish, I find it very relaxing which is great for me as I have big problems with anxiety and get stressed very easily. And with the goldfish in particular, I love seeing them grow and watching how they interact with each other as they all seem to have their own individual personalities!