What does your fishkeeping do for you?

GreenTea

It's an education in it's self, and such a rewarding thing to do. I know it sucks when they get ill, but the achievement of knowing you helped them get better makes it all worth while. It's definitely a discipline as well with the maintenance, and level of care- it's hard not to get attached to something when you are that involved with it.

Also, I got to meet all of you great people from all over the world because of goldfish:) It's so nice to know that there are so many people who are down to earth here and share the same hobby. Seriously, you're all such wonderful people. Sorry to sound all soppy :rofl

Beautifully said! Made me tear up a little reading all these responses.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although the little boy brought me into goldfish, I like the look of the tank. Newton is beautiful and the tank is relaxing. I like puttering about with things and the tank is something to work with during the long winter nights.

Yes I bet its real dark and cold...glad you have them :) I think its wonderful that red caps are "in your family" so to speak.

It causes joy for me and money for my mom! :tomuch:

Get a job you bum! ;)

It is a thing I can focus all of my energies on since I tend to have an obsession toward one thing at a time. It is a way I can perpetually learn and excel, which is something my brain craves. It is calming to me, even so much that I use working in/on/around the tank as a method to either stop or reduce anxiety. It gives me a place to direct emotion, as making emotional ties with people is difficult for me. Fishkeeping is very much a therapy to my mind and body.

It is fun, too. :D

Its great you have an outlet for when things get stressful. It seems like many keepers here struggle with anxiety/depression and fish keeping helps. Hug!

I'm an animal lover and have worked professionally in animal welfare for more than 15 years, which means my mammalian pets (dog, cat) are all rescues. Keeping fish is the only time I get to choose exactly what I want in a pet, and buy it, guilt-free, since there's really no fish rescue where I live. I love that.

What type of work do you do? Its amazing you help animals.

It is calming to me, reduces stress, it's a form of meditation for me and a chance to look at my beautiful fish...........and the "kid" in me gets to play in water........ :rofl

Nice to see you posting <3

I'm terrible at putting things to words but GT and Narny have expressed the same reasons as I have for fishkeeping much more eloquently than I ever could. I have a pond that I sit by for hours as a type of meditation but winter leaves me with a long period of down time, so after being away from fancies for four years I am starting up again. Hopefully I have eradicated the chilodonella from my tank and can begin fresh with this new cycle! As has been stated , even though it is hard to lose them, the joy and peace they bring to your life far outweighs the sorrow of losing them. There's always a piece of them that stays in your heart no matter how long or short their stay with you is!

That is plenty eloquent. Thanks so much for sharing.

I kind of fell in to this hobby, I didn't think i'd ever become attached to a fish! I got a tank because my newly decorated front room felt like there was something missing! That was seven years ago! ;)

Now I couldn't be without them, I :heart :heart :heart their wiggly "feed me" food dance :wub: I love all of their individual personalities and I can't get a dog at this moment in my life, so fish are perfect for me right now. :)

Interesting topic!

Even though there's a lot of stress involved in fish keeping (Oh no! My expensive filter broke! Oh no! My fish is sick!) I find it so peaceful to watch a tank of healthy fish live their lives. Though there's definitely days when I don't feel like cleaning my tanks I do like working with water. It's a calming chore.

I also love to learn, especially when there's a direct way for me to apply that knowledge to something and see the benefits. I like that tanks are like a never ending science project. It's fun to test the water and understand how life thrives.

Plus aquarium keeping combines two of my deep loves; plants and animals! I get to have adorable pets AND a bunch of cool house plants.

I keep fish because they bring me so much joy in so many different ways :)

I love the personality of goldfish. I feel like I know my fish in the same way I know a person. I don't mean to lay over human emotions on them, but they do have very distinct personalities, I can tell when they are excited about something (food :P) or when they are feeling down because something is off.

I also get satisfaction out of caring for something.... this is probably my biological clock telling me I should have babies :rofl but I really enjoy the care they require in terms of feeding and cleaning :idont

Finally, I love to learn! And with fish I get to learn new things every day. I love that there is a medical/diagnostic element to our hobby in terms of helping out sick fish, there is anatomy and physiology to learn about, there is chemistry to learn in terms of water quality, there is botany related stuff to learn about if you keep plants, and there is the fun geeky equipment aspect of the hobby. I can throw myself into any one of these things and there is just so much to learn. I just get a great sense of satisfaction out of learning everything I can that relates to this hobby! :D

I have never really had a true 'hobby' that has given me such a sense of enjoyment and pride. I really really love my fish! :heart

This really is a cool thread idea! :)

I'm new to keeping fish myself, and I've only had my Baxter for a few days, but already he's teaching me so much about fish, about caring for something specific outside yourself, and about keeping a strict schedule (of feeding, checking the water quality, changing water...). I love him so much already. Last semester in school, I suffered from a really draining period of depression that lasted more than 2 months. It affected my social life a lot, and I felt really alone, since my family was 3 hours away, and my boyfriend (and best friend since I was 12) was an hour and half away. I come home from classes now and see Baxter swim up to the glass to see me, and I just smile and talk fishy-talk to him. He makes me feel needed and loved in a sweet, small way. He's so cheery, and he helps me stay that way too. :3

I love to watch them living their lives in their own little world. Getting them new things, treats, things to play with, all brings me an overwhelming sense of peace. My job (a teacher) can be very stressful at times. My son, who is special needs, can also be a tough cookie, and we sit together to watch them. I love interacting with them, and feeling them nibble on my hands and arms, is very rewarding.

I'd like to think they love me half as much as I love them. :)

Its really helped my anger issues. Before I got my tank my mom wanted me to get on pills to help keep me calm beacuse anything would set me off. Now I still have a temper but its chilled out alot since I got my little finned kids. <3

Its also helped me to be more responsible . They need me to live and that makes me feel needed.

Edited by dakotak

I'm an animal lover and have worked professionally in animal welfare for more than 15 years, which means my mammalian pets (dog, cat) are all rescues. Keeping fish is the only time I get to choose exactly what I want in a pet, and buy it, guilt-free, since there's really no fish rescue where I live. I love that.

I'm the education director for a large nonprofit animal shelter. We take in more than 10,000 animals a year and provide tons of services to the community. Before that, I was with an assistance dog program. My job focuses primarily on children's education. It's fun, and my pug comes to work and shares my office every day. :)

I'm the education director for a large nonprofit animal shelter. We take in more than 10,000 animals a year and provide tons of services to the community. Before that, I was with an assistance dog program. My job focuses primarily on children's education. It's fun, and my pug comes to work and shares my office every day. :)

That sounds like so much fun!! I wish I could take my rabbit to work with me. He's such a love!

I've been keeping fish for over 30 years, so at this point I can't really imagine NOT having them. I keep goldfish because I think they're adorable. When I see their little faces it just makes me smile. I love tropical fish too, but you don't get attached to them the way you do with goldfish. They really are like aquatic puppies, always happy to see you.

This really is a cool thread idea! :)

I'm new to keeping fish myself, and I've only had my Baxter for a few days, but already he's teaching me so much about fish, about caring for something specific outside yourself, and about keeping a strict schedule (of feeding, checking the water quality, changing water...). I love him so much already. Last semester in school, I suffered from a really draining period of depression that lasted more than 2 months. It affected my social life a lot, and I felt really alone, since my family was 3 hours away, and my boyfriend (and best friend since I was 12) was an hour and half away. I come home from classes now and see Baxter swim up to the glass to see me, and I just smile and talk fishy-talk to him. He makes me feel needed and loved in a sweet, small way. He's so cheery, and he helps me stay that way too. :3

That's a lovely story :) Animals are one of the best things to help with depression and I am very glad you've had Baxter in your life to help with those horrible times. People say you can't hug a fish, but goldfish and I'm learning Betta's greet you just as happily when you come home as a dog does.

Well, one day I sat there and said to myself, "Self? You have WAY TOO MUCH MONEY and empty space! Why not throw both out the window and set up 352902853230523 tanks!?" :D

Not really. I love that my fish are usually even more excited to see me than my dog. I love that they don't make noise or make messes. I love watching them. I get a little nerded out at all the science. I really loved breeding the babies and seeing them all flourish under my care. The credit at the fish store didn't hurt either. ;) I love watching my kids enjoying the fish too.

They eat the mozzie larvae.

Seriously, I only got some fish to eat the wrigglies in the pond. But then I found myself fussing over them, reading everything around to try to make their home better for them. And giving them names. And then they had babies, so it was exciting to see if the babies would survive.

Now I feed them each evening after work and find it so relaxing to spend a little time sitting by the pond, patting the cat, watching the fish, scooping out the algae. It is great stress management.

Then I go inside and have another go at trying to work out what I need to do to make sure the pond is healthy.

For me it started out as a favor and quickly became an obsession! I found it to be very therapeutic and it eases my anxiety issues. My wife isn't the happiest at times with me about my hobby but she has been very grateful that these little guys of mine came into our family that last night she was the one that bought me the repashy saki hikari and the gh/kh test kit from tastyworms! All day long i think about the well being of my new kids and i love coming home and seeing the reaction i get from them. Overall it frees me from all the problems of the world and frees me from all the demons that i fight on the daily. I owe a lot to my fish and they have know clue of how good they have been for me. This is a great thread Green Tea thank you for allowing to post the reason behind the love for my fish!

For me I just love pets. And I can buy more fish or tank plants without making hubby mad just can't get more tanks. They are so much easier for me to take care of then any of my other pets and I am not having much luck with "real" plants.

for me, whether it's goldfish, bettas or shrimp, I just love sitting in front of the tank and watching them go about their business! though with the goldies I found that, as soon as I approached, everything else was dropped/forgotten (like chasing the lady fish eh) because it must be feeding time! :rofl

also I like seeing the fruits of my labour. I take progress shots when I first start aquascaping and then compare it to the final product. although with my goldie tank it was never "finished", per se...

For me it started out as a favor and quickly became an obsession! I found it to be very therapeutic and it eases my anxiety issues. My wife isn't the happiest at times with me about my hobby but she has been very grateful that these little guys of mine came into our family that last night she was the one that bought me the repashy saki hikari and the gh/kh test kit from tastyworms! All day long i think about the well being of my new kids and i love coming home and seeing the reaction i get from them. Overall it frees me from all the problems of the world and frees me from all the demons that i fight on the daily. I owe a lot to my fish and they have know clue of how good they have been for me. This is a great thread Green Tea thank you for allowing to post the reason behind the love for my fish!

No thank you for sharing. Beautiful story. My partner doesn't get it either but he does support me and knows its good for me. I'm glad you have support too.

What do you notice in your anxiety or anger levels after fish keeping? It has helped me tremendously as well. Hang in there <3

First of all, they are relaxing, full of personality, and I love them. :)

Second, like the others, I enjoy learning more and more about them.

Lastly, if you think about it, taking care of our goldfish is a duty. They rely on us to take care them, and without us they would die. :(

It's our job to feed them, change their water, clean their filters, treat them if they are sick, ect.

We' re their servants. :rofl

Edited by teleSC

I enjoyed reading everyones posts. Thanks for the thread.

As a lot of you know my daughter (14 then) had a small 5 gallon aquarium tank in her bedroom with a couple of goldfish in it toward the beginning of last year. (2012) They were her pets. I was okay with it for awhile until I started feeling sorry for her fish having such a small home. So we kept upgrading their home and before I knew it her fish got moved into a 55 gallon tank that is in our livingroom now with two more occupants. I wasn't planning on being a fish owner but I love it and can't imagine not having our fish in our lives now.

I enjoy feeding them and watching them swim around. To me it's like when you sit by a window and watch nature outside but instead I'm sitting in front of our aquarium watching our cute little fish go about their business. Or they are staring at me hoping I'm going to give in and give them food. :) I love their personalities. I don't call it a hobby for me. To me they are our pets just like our dog, cat, rats, and two betta's. I do find myself looking forward to syphoning out their tank. I find it kind of relaxing.

I guess to sum it all up. I just enjoy our fish and they bring a smile on my face when I see them.