What does your fishkeeping do for you?

GreenTea

Or why do you do it?

For me its like meditation and self discipline, changing all the water, the time and physical energy spent. It clears my mind. It relieves stress and gives me a creative outlet. My anxiety is lessened. Last but most importantly, its a hobby that makes me smile and has made me some awesome friends. Both here on Kokos and out in the real world.

Goldfish people on the whole just tend to be relaxed, fun people in my experience.

So I'm wondering fellow members, what do you get out of it? Is it just a simple hobby? An income? A way to create your own world? I'm curious. If you feel comfortable, please share!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just love animals and fish were a way to have a whole life living in my room! It's not really necessarily a hobby for me, but another pet to love and rescue in a way too :)

I also love watching them, but I think they've added more stress to my life than relieved at times ;)

I like pets. I have a dog but since I live in a flat it's not appropriate to have another, or even to have guinea pigs/rabbits or other such furry animals. So fish are a nice compromise, still friendly, pretty to watch, don't need the outdoors.

And best of all they can be left ay home alone all day without anyone complaining :rofl

(I have dog walker who takes my dog out during working days, just incase anyone though I meant that I leave Daisy alone all day!)

Oh this is a great thread, good idea Niki!

For me, my three biggest interests have always been art, animals, and biology. Goldfish are like living works of art, with all the time, dedication, and creativity that goes into creating the different varieties and colors. I love anything that combines art and animals, so naturally I love goldfish. It's also a plus that goldfish culture is so closely intertwined with Japanese and Chinese culture and sensibilities, because I find that aspect of it really interesting as well. I guess goldfish keeping has been like a creative outlet for me, and has inspired me to do more with other creative things as well. Like my blog, shooting and editing videos, designing aquarium decor, becoming better at fish photography, drawing goldfish, and hopefully in the future breeding goldfish myself (which I think requires an artistic eye). Goldfish keeping has helped expand my understanding and appreciation for biology as well; in my spare time I like to read about how their biological processes work.

And the fish themselves are such rewarding pets to keep. It's fun interacting with them and seeing each of their individual personalities. And they are so darn cute!

Edited by Sakura

Although the little boy brought me into goldfish, I like the look of the tank. Newton is beautiful and the tank is relaxing. I like puttering about with things and the tank is something to work with during the long winter nights.

It's an education in it's self, and such a rewarding thing to do. I know it sucks when they get ill, but the achievement of knowing you helped them get better makes it all worth while. It's definitely a discipline as well with the maintenance, and level of care- it's hard not to get attached to something when you are that involved with it.

Also, I got to meet all of you great people from all over the world because of goldfish:) It's so nice to know that there are so many people who are down to earth here and share the same hobby. Seriously, you're all such wonderful people. Sorry to sound all soppy :rofl

It is a thing I can focus all of my energies on since I tend to have an obsession toward one thing at a time. It is a way I can perpetually learn and excel, which is something my brain craves. It is calming to me, even so much that I use working in/on/around the tank as a method to either stop or reduce anxiety. It gives me a place to direct emotion, as making emotional ties with people is difficult for me. Fishkeeping is very much a therapy to my mind and body.

It is fun, too. :D

I'm an animal lover and have worked professionally in animal welfare for more than 15 years, which means my mammalian pets (dog, cat) are all rescues. Keeping fish is the only time I get to choose exactly what I want in a pet, and buy it, guilt-free, since there's really no fish rescue where I live. I love that.

I find the fish good company and enjoy watching them. I like creating a natural looking environment in the tank. I find it fun and relaxing...and I've enjoyed Connecting with other goldfish here. :wub:

I'm terrible at putting things to words but GT and Narny have expressed the same reasons as I have for fishkeeping much more eloquently than I ever could. I have a pond that I sit by for hours as a type of meditation but winter leaves me with a long period of down time, so after being away from fancies for four years I am starting up again. Hopefully I have eradicated the chilodonella from my tank and can begin fresh with this new cycle! As has been stated , even though it is hard to lose them, the joy and peace they bring to your life far outweighs the sorrow of losing them. There's always a piece of them that stays in your heart no matter how long or short their stay with you is!

Because I enjoy it . I love animals but I'm to allowed them to live inside but I was allowed a fish . Ever since my first fish I have been hooked and I really enjoy watching them .

I really

I've having some friends in my room and the bubbler noise really soothes me .

I also think they are so interesting and I love creating their tank to look lovely and I like making their environment all fresh with water changes.

People don't think of fish as pets but they are great companions , I always natter on to mine

My fish keeping is because...

It is always nice to know that you have a freind. It is nice to look at them. I think goldfish are smart, and they love you. I think that goldfish remembers more than you think! :)

Honestly when I first started keeping goldfish it was just to have a fish. Now its an obsession. it relaxes me to watch my fish, change their water, and to decorate their tank. Its my alone time and allows me to wind down or destress. It's a learning experience and I love sharing my knowledge with others. It also makes me feel good caring for them and seeing that they trust me and recognize me (even if its just for food :rofl) it's also a lot of fun! :)

It de-stresses me and helps me deal with my anxiety..... I also just love any kind of animals! I love caring for things, whether it be people or animals.... I guess I just have a very motherly instinct (and boy does it take a lot to care for goldies!!! :rofl )

• Admin

For me its cause these wonderful creatures are always considered junk fish, and it breaks my heart to seem treated this way... I want to try and save them all but I cant... Plus I love watching the swim with such style and grace.

Also when you come home from a bad day they dont judge you or make you feel bad, they are my second best friends :)

I just like watching them poop and then cleaning up the poop. Am I alone on this?

Oh my god I can't breathe hahahahhaha

This is amazing. You know I never thought about it but it is very satisfying to remove a big poop with the siphon during a water change, although this doesn't happen often.

Your honesty, I love it.

the kids are gone.. so i need something to care for that is just as demanding. :)

preach!

Oh this is a great thread, good idea Niki!

For me, my three biggest interests have always been art, animals, and biology. Goldfish are like living works of art, with all the time, dedication, and creativity that goes into creating the different varieties and colors. I love anything that combines art and animals, so naturally I love goldfish. It's also a plus that goldfish culture is so closely intertwined with Japanese and Chinese culture and sensibilities, because I find that aspect of it really interesting as well. I guess goldfish keeping has been like a creative outlet for me, and has inspired me to do more with other creative things as well. Like my blog, shooting and editing videos, designing aquarium decor, becoming better at fish photography, drawing goldfish, and hopefully in the future breeding goldfish myself (which I think requires an artistic eye). Goldfish keeping has helped expand my understanding and appreciation for biology as well; in my spare time I like to read about how their biological processes work.

And the fish themselves are such rewarding pets to keep. It's fun interacting with them and seeing each of their individual personalities. And they are so darn cute!

They ARE so darn cute. I keep meaning to pm you back but I haven't yet. Thanks for posting :) Your reasons definitely help me understand you better and I agree about goldfish being art.