So many eggs

GreenTea

Uhm 8 days now I believe. 9 days? One loss today and one yesterday. They seem to be doing pretty OK. I think I will start doing 2x changes a day and I'll feel better about their diet when the worms and decap eggs get here.

IMG_20130301_013843_742_zps0184d979.jpg

IMG_20130302_023052_644_zps37c71de6.jpg

IMG_20130302_023045_239_zps57132e52.jpg

IMG_20130302_022939_264_zps91bfee01.jpg

Edited by GreenTea

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aww look at all those, real cute :)

Look at all the eyelashes with eyes! :D

Those tiny double tails are adorable! :)

I love them! I see some single tails I think but mostly double tails.

I was going through your thread last night to see if ours were hitting similar milestones and what I have to look forward to :) So exciting! They seem so *big* after a week compared to day 1 but they are still so little.

I was going through your thread last night to see if ours were hitting similar milestones and what I have to look forward to :) So exciting! They seem so *big* after a week compared to day 1 but they are still so little.

I know, right? And when they hit about 4-6 weeks, looking like fully developed fish, then they start to really take off in size. You saw how Norm started to fill that olympic tablespoon! There they also start to eat a massive amount of food. Repashy is really working great, they will nibble on small chunks :)

I know, right? And when they hit about 4-6 weeks, looking like fully developed fish, then they start to really take off in size. You saw how Norm started to fill that olympic tablespoon! There they also start to eat a massive amount of food. Repashy is really working great, they will nibble on small chunks :)

What did you feed him? I've been feeding first bites and brine shrimp but I feel like the first bites are maybe too small already? I get decap eggs and micro worms this week and will feel better about it. Yes norm is gorgeous too, so shiny like you said. I hope mine are as well.

How much light did you have? I have a little natural light but mostly a tank light on them 10 hrs or so a day.

Edited by GreenTea

I hatched baby brine shrimp, and the tub he is in is covered in duckweed etc which I know for a fact has a lot of tiny organisms living in it.

As light source I have a simple desk lamp with flexible neck, and am using a 23watt CFL bulb in it for about 8-10 hours a day, which shines right into the tub. This also makes some algae grow which the fish eats as well. :)

I hatched baby brine shrimp, and the tub he is in is covered in duckweed etc which I know for a fact has a lot of tiny organisms living in it.

As light source I have a simple desk lamp with flexible neck, and am using a 23watt CFL bulb in it for about 8-10 hours a day, which shines right into the tub. This also makes some algae grow which the fish eats as well. :)

OK. I have two anubias in there and a little duck weed/water lettuce. I should probably try not to worry so much!

OK. I have two anubias in there and a little duck weed/water lettuce. I should probably try not to worry so much!

But you have a lot more fish, while my tub / plants sustain only one little guy. I'd keep up feeding whatever you are feeding as it seems to work for now. Maybe not the first bites anymore because this will be way too small soon. Whenever you get the other food, that will be great as well!

I can not remember right now if or if not you have soilent green, but this makes excellent fry food. A little chunk dropped in and left in there most of the day for the little guys to munch on is an easy way to feed them, and its ingredients are very close to what they would consume if growing up in a pond. Can't really go wrong with that, as long as the uneaten food is cleaned out daily :)

But you have a lot more fish, while my tub / plants sustain only one little guy. I'd keep up feeding whatever you are feeding as it seems to work for now. Maybe not the first bites anymore because this will be way too small soon. Whenever you get the other food, that will be great as well!

I can not remember right now if or if not you have soilent green, but this makes excellent fry food. A little chunk dropped in and left in there most of the day for the little guys to munch on is an easy way to feed them, and its ingredients are very close to what they would consume if growing up in a pond. Can't really go wrong with that, as long as the uneaten food is cleaned out daily :)

That's a good idea. Do I have to sort of crumble the gel into the tank?

Nah, I just toss a piece in. After about 30 min in the water it will get mushy anyway, and is so even more easily to eat for the fry :)

I've stopped with live brine shrimp as it is a pita... repashy soilent green and live micro worms is what they are eating now... the repashy is great because it doesn't make the water yucky and they go crazy for it. The microworms are great because they can survive in the water for a day or so.

I am waiting on decapsulated brine shrimp eggs to feed them and this will be their main diet with some microworms and repashy mixed in. Decap eggs have tons of protein and so should make a great food that is easy to feed :) There are also live plants in their tank.

No losses and no cannibalism of the the 10 or so that are a week younger. There is some decent size variation at this point and most of the larger fish look to have dorsal fins so they must be the orandas. I've culled probably about 100 total from day one due to deformities or spiral swimming/ bottom sitting.

Aqua prazied should be arriving in the mail today so I can start treating for flukes. This is pretty cool! I also Java smaller second spawn that is just eggs right now. Who knows if anything will come of that. Getting my tubs ready to separate these guys in a few weeks. Its getting pretty exciting as they are really starting to look fishy :)

I am very antsy to see some color in a few weeks and see what type they are! This will be a lesson in patience..

Edited by GreenTea

Nah, I just toss a piece in. After about 30 min in the water it will get mushy anyway, and is so even more easily to eat for the fry :)

Thank you for this idea fang. I crumple up a few chunks in different areas of the tub because there are about 100 fish in there! They had a really hard time figuring out what it was the first day and how to eat it but they get it now! Its a great thing to feed when I am heading to a session or something.

Alright guys...fry are 20 days old today. I'm going to move them into two larger tubs and move the new babies to the 10 gallon.

The new babies are almost free swimming and are from my lavender male and black and white female. There are about 60. I intentionally made this spawn smaller because I'm hoping they'll be great looking fish.

Wish me luck! Photos later.

I'm also going to be doing a major cull for spikes and spinal deformities tonight which will be a little hard to do, because they aren't necessarily unhealthy and such.

It looks to be a big cull so far..maybe 20. Its also taking me awhile to catch these buggers!

There are a few fish that are already looking exceptional as well, both ranchu and orandas.

Really looking forward to watching them develop.

Thanks Lady! I am almost done with the cull for tonight...its getting exhausting. At first it made me sad...but it is also exciting! Because this means I'm focusing on the nicer fish :)

There is one oranda and one ranchu that are just wow already! Most of the fish look to be orandas at this point which is what I expected as most of the fertilizing was done by a black oranda.

I am pretty picky about the fish I buy and I'm hoping that will show in the offspring. I do so wish I could send you one or two mama red cap <3

Edited by GreenTea