So many eggs

GreenTea

Raichu and my black and white ranchu spawned tonight. The black male oranda and tiger oranda were trying to contribute as well so I hand spawned them in my 10 gallon tub with the rest of the females eggs. It looks as if there are already eyes. There are so many eggs that some are stuck together in clumps. This time the temp is higher and the airstone has been running the whole time.

I hope they don't all fungus again. I can't find the blue stuff to prevent it and I'm worried since many are stuck together.

I also got some pearlscale milt in there. If they hatch out maybe well get some interesting fry :)

Edited by GreenTea

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You do not necessarily need methylene blue to keep the fungus away. It helps, but it will work without.

If the eggs are in a clean container with clean water (no debris on the bottom) then only the bad eggs should grow fungus. Not sure how this works for eggs in clumps, but I guess there is simply not much you can do about it right now but to wait and see.

Keep us updated! :)

I hope they don't all fungus again. I can't find the blue stuff to prevent it and I'm worried since many are stuck together.

a uv lamp filter can also be used to help prevent fungus and other things, but with such a small spawn is not really needed the blue of metiline. Odd you can not find it , it is a mild disinfectant sold at the farmicia. also found a schools shop with the microscopes supplys.

You do not necessarily need methylene blue to keep the fungus away. It helps, but it will work without.

If the eggs are in a clean container with clean water (no debris on the bottom) then only the bad eggs should grow fungus. Not sure how this works for eggs in clumps, but I guess there is simply not much you can do about it right now but to wait and see.

Thanks for the info Fang. After looking into hand spawning I see what the issue is and will improve it next time. I need multiple containers to reduce egg density and be sure to swirl the eggs immediately to disperse them :)

I'll still keep my eye out for the blue stuff.

Thanks for the info Fang. After looking into hand spawning I see what the issue is and will improve it next time. I need multiple containers to reduce egg density and be sure to swirl the eggs immediately to disperse them :)

I'll still keep my eye out for the blue stuff.

You know it's the funniest thing, just before I woke up I had a dream related to this, where apparently I had stored away a cluster of eggs myself and forgot about them for a few days. When I found it, the eggs had merged into one huge (2" diameter) "globe" and a few fry were squirming around inside.

I need to lay off the 'shrooms. :rofl2

Ah lucky you. Now you have plenty to care for.

and plenty time too, you are the one with the broken foot?

ha , miy redcap ,which i though no fertile also hatch today , joy1.

Any babies?

Hey Allison. Should I be worried that some are on the bottom and others on the sides? Could the fungus'd eggs hurt the fry that have hatched?

I want to give the rest of the fertile eggs time to hatch but I am worried the bad eggs will hurt the fry that have hatched.

I'm going to get a turkey baster to remove as many as I can and will probably do another water change.

Congrats Michael! Yes that is me lol. I'm getting around well now, the boot is just annoying more than anything else.

Who did your red cap spawn with?

Any babies?

Hey Allison. Should I be worried that some are on the bottom and others on the sides? Could the fungus'd eggs hurt the fry that have hatched?

I want to give the rest of the fertile eggs time to hatch but I am worried the bad eggs will hurt the fry that have hatched.

I'm going to get a turkey baster to remove as many as I can and will probably do another water change.

Congrats Michael! Yes that is me lol. I'm getting around well now, the boot is just annoying more than anything else.

I'm happy your feeling better :D!

Good luck on the babies too! If you ever need some Raichu babies re-homed, I'd be an eager candidate for adoption!!

Any babies?

I'm happy your feeling better :D!

Good luck on the babies too! If you ever need some Raichu babies re-homed, I'd be an eager candidate for adoption!!

Noted! Not sure how these fry will come out but I want to practice raising them. I'll give them to Kokos members cjeaply, maybe a few dollars each to cover the cost of raising them and then shipping.

I think they're mostly hatched now!

Some of mine sat on the bottom for 2 days. The ones on the wall are probably the ones that will grow bigger and are stronger. I left them all alone and all but 3 maybe out of 200 were actual sinkers. So they should be fine :)

Some of mine sat on the bottom for 2 days. The ones on the wall are probably the ones that will grow bigger and are stronger. I left them all alone and all but 3 maybe out of 200 were actual sinkers. So they should be fine :)

OK cool. I got some additional bins and stuff for next time they spawn as well as a Turkey baster and some first bites and brown shrimp stuff :)

OK so I siphoned out the bad eggs as well as unhatched eggs that were stuck to bad eggs because as I can see from dead fry, they just get stuck to the fungus and die anyway :/

Then big water change time.

Redcap spawn with redcap. I now have only nine but they are ok. I think maybe now are 50-100 hatching .

Awesome! I really like other people's red caps but I've not owned one myself.

I forgot how long it takes to deal with fry and a turkey baster. Oy my back!

I found about 20 fry in the main tank as well which I moved over to the 10 gallon tub! Crazy. They seem bigger and stronger than those hatched in the tub already.