Overhead trickle system?

dakotak

Ok so I found this page after looking up putting peace lily in a HOB filter.

Peacelilies001.jpg

Peacelilies002.jpg

I was going to get a separate HOB for a few plants to help with my nitrates but I saw this and I cant tell you how much I want it.

I'm trying to find info on them but its proving to be a challenge (yay google). Does anyone have any info on them?

I think it would look sick on top of a tank with plants sticking out of the top and some hanging plants on the side and an overhead lighting system. :druel

Oh wow that does look amazing! You could probably do this with a lot of those tanks that come with the filters attached, though I don't know how good their filtration is. Just a matter of taking off the lid and sticking some plants in there?

Shakaho tells us that you can get pond pumps very cheaply at Harbor Freight. I imagine that you want one that doesn't have such a high pump rate, no?

In any case, have fun. I look forward to seeing the final product! :)

Yea, I only need it to be able to get water up and inside of the box and push it through to the other side of the box. Im thinking of this one, thanks for the link and thanks to Shakaho for sharing it with us. http://www.harborfreight.com/200-gph-miniature-submersible-fountain-pump-68372.html

The challenge will be making it look pretty in the tank with the pump.

Get the one that's the next size bigger. It's a much better pump. I strongly suggest you build a filter for your tank like this one. I made no attempt to pretty this up since it's in a utility room. Then just extend the outlet pipe the length of the plant box, put a cap on the end of the pipe and drill a series of holes on the underside so you trickle water over the gravel. If the bottom of the plant box touches the water, you will have a filter system that is noiseless.

The pump is small. It has suction cups you can use to stick it on the back of the aquarium. If you have a dark background and stick a plant in front of the pump, it will be virtually invisible, unlike a big HOB filter. Likewise, black plumbing blends in well. I

Thanks shakaho! I talked to my grandfather about it and he said he wanted to help me do it. So we will be doing it together sometime soon when I can get all the supplies.

I just realized something though, my tank is 5 and a half feet long. So I unless I can find a box that long I will need to make two.

This is so exciting, not only because you are doing DIY things, but also because it's a collaboration with grandpa!

I agree! Im very excited! He cant get around very well anymore but he hates not doing anything and just sitting around so he often falls when working outside by himself or hurts himself. This way he can sit and be occupied and I dont have to worry about him falling or getting hurt and I get a cool DIY project and quality time with Papa. Everyone wins! :D

Thanks Shakaho.

So I thought of doing it a different way. Kind of like an overhead sump if you will.

Ill have the pump on the bottom of the tank. Water goes through the tubing, comes in the intake and goes though sponges or ceramic rings(im leaning towards rings or just putting gravel in the whole thing) that the plants can grow through. The separators work like they do in sumps and water flows through dirt or gravel for the plants that need gravel and dirt to root and go out the outflow that will have a cap with hoes drilled into it to make a cool trickle sounds.

What do you think? Good idea or not?

filterbox_zps9d08fffa.jpg

There are two problems with your design. This thing will fill up with crud and need to be taken apart and cleaned regularly. A trickle filter really should be receiving water that has already been through mechanical filtration. That's why I like the idea of pumping the water through an external filter before trickling it. While the idea of the water moving horizontally is attractive, the way you have it set up there will be anaerobic pockets of relatively stagnant water and medium in each chamber created by the separators. The aerated water will pretty much flow over the top of the medium. There won't be much biofiltration.

What I suggested is an external flowerpot filter with a long "spray bar" or drip tube that spreads the water over the full surface of the filter bed, which should be simply pea gravel or lava rock. Then you have holes in the bottom of the plant box to allow the water to return to the tank. If you want trickle sounds, the plant box can be suspended above the surface of the water. I prefer silence and would have the bottom of the plant box just under the surface of the water.

Now you have the flowerpot filter collecting particulates and carrying out some of the biofiltration. The water coming out of that and spraying/dripping onto the gravel in the plant box is clear and rich in nitrate and oxygen. The gravel medium stays aerobic since the water just trickles through it and does not stagnate. This makes it easy for land plants to grow and provides optimal microbial biofiltration.