Sign in to follow this  
mygoldfishmylife

Hey I was wondering how do you prepare shrimp for gf?

I can feed them shrimp from the store, right? Do i cut it into small pieces and just drop is in?

I get frozen brine shrimp or frozen blood worms, those are great treats for your goldfish :). I have not heard of buying shrimp and chopping them up, I don't feed live foods because that can be a way for parasites or other bad things to get in your aquarium.

Like the cocktail shrimp in the package shaped like a ring? Yes, you would have to cut it up. I would think you should cook it first, too. If the shrimp had any kinds of illness while living, if you feed them raw, there would be a risk of passing it to your fish. It might be too hard for them to eat, though, and they may spit it out. I find that mine enjoy veggies as a snack, and as Ahardeay said, frozen blood worms.

Raw shrimp are always better, and should be par cooked before feeding to goldies. I take all the little "Scraps" I pull off shrimps while cleaning/preparing them and then boil a bowl of water, then toss them in and poach them for about ten minutes. This cooks them but leaves them very tender. Fish love it.