Healthy gill color?

addymeg1

Hi! i just got my new goldfish yesterday after cycling for 3 months. I was just wondering what a healthy gill color should look like? Does white fish have a different color gills? Valentino's gills seem to be a purply color. His dorsal fin is erect, no bottom sitting, no floatiness, regular poops. I will be starting prazi in the next couple of days. The other one in the tank is orange and his gills are a nice meaty red. Not sure if this is normal to have purply gills? All water params are 0, except for nitrates which are 5. It is super hard to tell exactly what color they are though. Thanks!

Edited by addymeg1

• * Ammonia Level (tank):0
  • * Nitrite Level (tank)0
  • * Nitrate level (Tank) 5
  • * Ammonia Level (Tap):0.25
  • * Nitrite Level (Tap)0
  • * Nitrate level (Tap)5
  • * Ph Level, (Tank) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)8.3
  • * Ph Level, (Tap) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)7.4
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?API master test kit
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? 1 AC 30, 1 AC 50, eheim canister filter 2236
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime
  • * Water temperature?73
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? 50-60%

What is a good way to get a good look at the gills?

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Today 30-40% ph was 8.0
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?40 gals 4 months
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 2 3-4 inches
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? repashy, progold, veggies, bloodworms
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? Yes got 2 new fish yesterday
  • * Any medications added to the tank? No will start prazi soon
  • * List previous issues experienced (dropsy, SBD, etc.)No
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? dark gills
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? No
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * You can really help us to identify with the concern more accurately if you post some pictures and a short video.

Edited by addymeg1

Thanks!

Purple gills can be an indicator of nitrite poisoning. It's possible since this is a new fish that the water quality was bad at the pet store and you are seeing the effects of this now. Given that he has no other behavioral symptoms at this time, I would just proceed with your planned QT (salt and prazi), make sure the water conditions stay pristine and keep an eye out for any concerning behaviors. You may also want to add some extra aeration to the tank, since damaged gills can make it more difficult for the fish to get all the oxygen they need. The salt will help with this as well, so I would start salt whenever you're able :)

Thanks!

Purple gills can be an indicator of nitrite poisoning. It's possible since this is a new fish that the water quality was bad at the pet store and you are seeing the effects of this now. Given that he has no other behavioral symptoms at this time, I would just proceed with your planned QT (salt and prazi), make sure the water conditions stay pristine and keep an eye out for any concerning behaviors. You may also want to add some extra aeration to the tank, since damaged gills can make it more difficult for the fish to get all the oxygen they need. The salt will help with this as well, so I would start salt whenever you're able :)

Ok can these gills be fixed meaning will they return to a healthy red? Also what is the concentration for 0.1% salt? 1 tbsp per 10 gallons correct?

Were the gills like this yesterday when you got the fish?

[e] Sniped XD

I have no idea... i wasnt really paying attention with all of the hype

Thanks!

Ok can these gills be fixed meaning will they return to a healthy red? Also what is the concentration for 0.1% salt? 1 tbsp per 10 gallons correct?

Were the gills like this yesterday when you got the fish?

[e] Sniped XD

I have no idea... i wasnt really paying attention with all of the hype

If it is nitrite poisoning, they may be able to be repaired with some time and return to their normal healthy red color. Keep an eye on them and let us know if there are any changes.

1 teaspoon per gallon = .1% (make sure you dissolve it well before adding to the tank and you'll need to replace whatever you take out with water changes. For example if you have 20 tsp in the tank and you do a 50% water change, then add back in 10 tsp of salt etc)

If you are treating with prazipro you'll want to stick with .1%

If you are treating with powdered prazi you can up the salt to .3%

Here's the link to the prazi schedules (let us know if you have any questions regarding salting or prazi)

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/105076-schedules-for-the-treatment-of-flukes-etc-using-praziquantel/

Thank you! How long does the salt take to dissolve? Its taking forever!

you may need to use more water. You can heat up the salt/water on the stove to make it go faster too (just make sure you let it cool before adding it to the tank)

make sure you are using either aquarium salt or a salt with no additives/anti caking agents please

Thank you! How long does the salt take to dissolve? Its taking forever!

you may need to use more water. You can heat up the salt/water on the stove to make it go faster too (just make sure you let it cool before adding it to the tank)

make sure you are using either aquarium salt or a salt with no additives/anti caking agents please

i am using mortons canning and pickling salt:) thanks!

What kind of salt do you have?

Mortons canning and pickling salt:)

How many grams did you end up measuring out for your 40? It should be about 147grams for 39 gallons or so.

I have a spreadsheet with .1%, .2% and .3% but I don't know how to post it? I had Alex double check it awhile back so I think its accurate :)

It tells you how much per gallon for each amount so is helpful for partial water changes too.

A wise moderator :teehee told me to put the salt in the end of a pair of pantyhose and hang it inside the tank to dissolve itself slowly overtime. It worked like a charm. :D

Ahh! That is super smart!! Thanks for the tip!

How many grams did you end up measuring out for your 40? It should be about 147grams for 39 gallons or so.

I have a spreadsheet with .1%, .2% and .3% but I don't know how to post it? I had Alex double check it awhile back so I think its accurate :)

It tells you how much per gallon for each amount so is helpful for partial water changes too.

I actually ended up using tsp. and i used around 39-40:) that would be awesome if u could figure out how to post it! :D

A wise moderator :teehee told me to put the salt in the end of a pair of pantyhose and hang it inside the tank to dissolve itself slowly overtime. It worked like a charm. :D

Ahh! That is super smart!! Thanks for the tip!

I'd like to take credit for it but it was Alex. Surprised? No, probably not. Well except for the fact he would be the moderator least likely to have spare pantyhose lying around. :rofl

:rofl

I did get some very awkward looks from my mom asking for a new pair of pantyhose :rofl

I would have loved to claim credit for original idea, but alas, it was not. I learned it from here, a long time ago. :)

Any chance we can see pics of the gills? I realize that this would require two people :)

:rofl

I did get some very awkward looks from my mom asking for a new pair of pantyhose :rofl

I would have loved to claim credit for original idea, but alas, it was not. I learned it from here, a long time ago. :)

Any chance we can see pics of the gills? I realize that this would require two people :)

what would be the best way to get a good picture? Hold them slightly above the water??