Sign in to follow this  
number20121

Bettas and planted community tank

Alright. I FINALLY got around taking a halfway decent photo of the community tank and also got an 8 minute long video of me messing around with the tank and the betta girls messing with me :lol

The cabomba shrunk a lot because I failed to realize just how much light the floating plants (duckweed, water lettuce, frogbit, riccia natans, hornwort) were blocking out. Initially I thought the shop light was a piece of poopoo and going dim, but then I saw what was really going on. I skimmed off 80% of the small floating plants and fed it to the goldis, moved some of the hornwort out to them as well, and now the tank is nice and bright again. I still got quite a few stems of cabomba so I am certain it will recover if I keep the water surface clear enough :D

Anyway, here's a few pics and a rather long video of the betta girls. Don't even bother turning up the volume - unless you want to listen to the audio of Vanilla Sky :rofl

"Full tank shot". As always, crappily photoshopped together :lol

planted2-18-13_zps8d12cf8b.jpg

Some closeups of plants. I had two anubias flower (see top left corner in the first following photo) and the vals are growing wonderfully. A bit too much algae on the anubias but that might be due to the fact that I got the lights on about 15 hours a day. No joke.

100_9333_zps656d1bc1.jpg

100_9336_zps2e29fc39.jpg

This here is interesting. It is cabomba, topped with java ferns, topped with hornwort, topped with various floating plants. It's like a bizarre sculpture :rofl

100_9337_zpse37c3223.jpg

100_9338_zpsf7fd0ee5.jpg

And, last but by no means least:

100_9337copy_zps2172d6e5.jpg

Its so gorgeous!! That last picture is hilarious :rofl

I love this tank and your sorority! also LOL @ the last pic!

I'm so jealous of how tall and beautiful your plants are! The whole tank is gorgeous and I love that plant sculpture.

gorgeous! do you use co2? I never have, but my plants seem to grow pretty well without it. I love keeping betta girls in a community tank. I have one at the moment, but I used to breed them.

also, how do you get such a crisp full tank shot? i cant seem to do it :(

Edited by aquariummaniac

Oh wow. That tank is so beautiful! Can you come over and plant my tank? I'll pay for airfare, transportation and hotel. Lol. Seriously though, good job!

Also, what's your lighting setup?

gorgeous! do you use co2? I never have, but my plants seem to grow pretty well without it. I love keeping betta girls in a community tank. I have one at the moment, but I used to breed them.

also, how do you get such a crisp full tank shot? i cant seem to do it :(

It's actually two separate photos since I can never get one in one shot either. One of the left and one of the right side, and then crappily photoshopped together :rofl

I don't use CO2 but am supplementing with a liquid carbon product by API :)

It's just a shop light from Home Depot with two 32watt T8 bulbs in it. :) Not quite as pretty as actual aquarium light fixtures, but much cheaper! :D

It's just a shop light from Home Depot with two 32watt T8 bulbs in it. :) Not quite as pretty as actual aquarium light fixtures, but much cheaper! :D

Yay, I do the same thing too. So I'm guessing your tank is 50/55 gallons? And do you hang it from the ceiling or lay it on top of the tank?

55g, yes. I just got it laying across the tank. I don't trust it enough to be hanging from the ceiling :D

You did a beautiful job making an awesome home for your betta's. I love all the plants you put in the tank. It looks so healthy and green. I Love all the plants on the surface. I bet they are loving their new spacious home. They have so much room to swim and explore. Thank you for putting up a video for all of us. I was really looking forward to seeing this. :)

That last photo should be in one of the photo contests! :rofl Your fish are so cultured!! :D

Your tank is so lush and green.

You did a beautiful job making an awesome home for your betta's. I love all the plants you put in the tank. It looks so healthy and green. I Love all the plants on the surface. I bet they are loving their new spacious home. They have so much room to swim and explore. Thank you for putting up a video for all of us. I was really looking forward to seeing this. :)

Thanks! I too think that they are quite happy with all that room. I don't think I'd ever keep a female betta by herself in a small tank anymore, but rather in a sorority or community - unless a specific fish is a big drama queen of course. :)

That last photo should be in one of the photo contests! :rofl Your fish are so cultured!! :D

Your tank is so lush and green.

Maybe I'll enter it :rofl

And thanks! :)

It looks amazing Fang! :D

Thanks, Alex!! :)