Sign in to follow this  
tangcoral

Gram for gram price difference of repashy sg vs progold, calculations correct?

I understand the bigger the bulk the cheaper it gets but just for crude estimate and I don't want it to get too mathematically complicated,

1 bag of Pro-Gold SuperSize 2lbs (32oz) = $19.99 +$9.99 shipping = $29.98

2 bags of Repashy SG 16oz Bag (2 bags = 32oz) = $26.98 +11.25 shipping =$65.21

by my calculations, is repashy a bit over 2 times the cost?

I also tried another variation for ex. 2 ~ 2lbsbags PG vs 1 64ozbag of SG and the gap lessens at 27% cost difference which made realize that repashy is much cheaper going with the big 64oz (4lbs bag)

I'm assuming I shouldnt be calculate adding water to the final mix of repashy towards my price per weight calculations.

I always considered progold a slightly expensive premium food but that would definitely mean repashy is expensive unless I go with the biggest bag.

Is there any flaw to my calculations? Am I not taking account in consideration of other factors? Let me know.

Edited by tangcoral

Is it just me or does everyone find that they go through SG much faster than PG. Seems that I run out of SG much faster.

Probably cause I dont have a weight scale and going by general estimation.

I went through more SG than PG even though I feed the PG to my oscar as well. I switched back because my mom doesn't want the SG in her fridge anymore lol

Sent from my SCH-I535

I think shipping will vary depending on who sends it out but generally, yep, I think repashy is more expensive than Pro Gold. I feed both to our fish.

I do think that the SG somehow mysteriously goes much faster, but I wonder if it's because we are feeding more of it. Remember that 1 pound of SG at the end becomes 4 pounds.

I'm not disagreeing that it seems to be more expensive though. :)

I kind of like the fact I buy food semi frequently rather than having a large bag of pellets that I have past it's expiration date. I worry when my food sits around for months!

Unless I missed this (although I read your calculations twice), the Repashy makes up 4x as much food in the end though since you have to prepare it, while the Pro Gold is what it is.

So 16oz Repashy in the end make 64oz of food vs 16oz of Pro Gold.

Then again we feed more Repashy due to its higher water content, but I don't think we feed 4x as much as in pellets.

In the end, I prefer the Repashy over pellets since it has a much more natural ingredient list :)

I kind of like the fact I buy food semi frequently rather than having a large bag of pellets that I have past it's expiration date. I worry when my food sits around for months!

Maybe my wishful thinking but I wish the super-sized bags came in 2 or even 3 individually packaged so as to maintain the freshness and not having to open a huge bag.

Maybe I should dump half the content of a new bag into another bag and vacuum seal it.

Edited by tangcoral