Feeding each fish in a different area of the tank

cmclien

After Bilbo lost her left eye in early January it was tough for me to get enough food to her. Even when she had two eyes, she, being the oranda was the slowest of the three. Slowly she has gotten better with her spacial orientation with the one eye and can catch her food better.

The other thing that has helped is I have taught them their food drops in certain areas of the tank. Its kinda funny because now she will wait from the middle to right side of the tank and the other two go to the left side of the tank. They may swim and take hers sometimes but she never leaves the spot during feeding time that is designated for her. Sometimes the three of them get into a traffic jam and I just wait until they go to the right spot before I feed them. If they go over to her spot, I just say Bings name out loud and he will usually come over where he needs to be too.

Smart little buggers ;) I'm surprised how fast they picked this up.

Although some individual fish DO seem like they only have an 8 second memory :lol

I think they're just more like cats, and really don't give a hoot about what humans want. LOL.

What a fun story! I'd also enjoy seeing a video of your little cuties lining up for their breakfast, in their individual spots. How awesome is that? :D

Edited by JamieMonster

Ok, I will try and get a video of them tomorrow as I already fed them and turned off their light for the night. Like I said, she doesn't budge from that middle to right and usually goes into the corner knowing I will drop the hikari there. Bing will gladly steal her food but he comes back to the left side. I haven't found a good spot for Arwin yet, she kind of follows Bing though I try and drop hers in the middle center of the tank.

LOL, I will get it on video.