Wen growth?

aquariummaniac

A lot of it is by genetics, but there are things you can do to get the fish to its full potential. Feed him a lot of protein and bloodworms. Then keep the water super clean since clean environments help increase growth in general. If you can, try feeding protein rich food.

What they said. Go to Petsmart and approach the freezer section next to the Goldfish. Get the Hikari brand frozen cubes. Bloodworm, Brine Shrimp and Krill are great for them. It will encourage the wennies! I dunno how long it takes for the growth to start. Both of mine started on them recently and I hope it will help them be large. Just scoop up water, put a cube in, microwave 30 seconds and let set for several minutes then pour in. The Bloodworm should be fed once every two to three days. Don't forget to visit the Orandas when you're at the store! They like to say hi.

ahh, so i can probably assume that my Petsmart orandas likely dont have too much potential lol. need to save up and order nice ones online.

This is incorrect. I've seen many giant wens there! Both of mine came from a LFS and they have smaller than normal wens. Just feed them and keep up with the water conditions.

I have a Petsmart Oranda, and she has a nice recap. You can see it in the picture. :) Wens grow slowly, with time. I've had a little lionhead since August, and he's only just getting the first signs of growth. He was probably a few months when I got him, too.

Don't worry, your fish will grow, and so will it's wen. Keep the food quality excellent, and the water pristine, all else will come in good time. :)

I wonder if genetics can be overided? Can we encourage growth that's not within their genetic? I'm a bit confused.

Nope, sorry, genes are genes. You can activate them or deactivate them, but unless you've got the technology of the 2050's hidden somewhere, you can't rewrite it. It's the same with people and height; you can give someone good nutrition to encourage growth, but if it's not in the cards, it's not in the cards.

EDIT: D'oh, replying to someone who won't see. Derpyherps.

Edited by Evening

I wonder if genetics can be overided? Can we encourage growth that's not within their genetic? I'm a bit confused.

Nope, sorry, genes are genes. You can activate them or deactivate them, but unless you've got the technology of the 2050's hidden somewhere, you can't rewrite it. It's the same with people and height; you can give someone good nutrition to encourage growth, but if it's not in the cards, it's not in the cards.

EDIT: D'oh, replying to someone who won't see. Derpyherps.

It's still good information to share though