Sign in to follow this  
EdgarTheFish

Reminder on the gallon rules?

I'm trying to find the generalized rules for goldies. I know 3 years ago I was told 30g for each single tail and 10g for a fancy. Is it a 2 gallon per inch of fish rule? Also does filtration change the rule? I know that the fish become stunted when they don't have enough space and that filtration probably doesn't siphon all of the (hormone? enzyme?) that tells the fish when to stop growing. Please direct me in the right place!

http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/care.html

http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/tensteps.html

Smallest sized tank, even with just one fish :)

Fancy 20g (optimally 40g)

Single tail 40g (optimally 55g)

From there, calculate a minimum of 15g (optimally 20g) per fish.

So, 2 goldfish would do well in 40 gallon, although it may be possible 30g

Different people will tell you different things but at least 10 gallons per fancy type fish and 20g per single tail. The most quoted rule here seems to be 20 for the first fish and then 10-20 gallons per fish after that :)

Additional filtration, good water and plants will help too.

Alex stop following me! XD

It is true that people have different opinions about it, depending on their experiences. :)

Those who have actually kept both fancies and single tails will know that a long tailed single tail does not need more water volume than a fancy or the same size.

If anything, it is the other way around as the fancy of same size is significantly fatter and heavier and produces more waste.

I fail to see the reason why a single tailed goldfish supposedly needs twice the water volume, when the production of waste and toxins is in relation to the body weight and food intake.

That said, single tails require a longer tank for swimming space and I personally would not keep a fully grown single tail (8" or more full length) in anything shorter than 48" long term - even if it was only 1 fish in a 55g.

But then again, of course, it all depends on the fish itself. There are fish (fancy or single tail) that with the best care will remain rather small and may do well with 10g, while other fish will grow incredibly huge (like Fede's 350g-ryukins) and may actually require 50g or more.

Long story short: I think that going with a minimum of 15g per fish to start out is the best idea. This gives the fish enough room to properly start growing and you will notice if you have to upgrade. :)

The only exceptions to this would be if you were to purchase a fish that is already huge, or start out with a breed that is known to grow rather big in body (long and chunky), such as hibuna or wakin. Here I would consider at least 25g as minimum per fish. :)

This here is a great and very helpful topic by Tithra, containing a collection of fish's size compared to their weight. Many have the breed stated as well, and you can read up yourself about what I was trying to explain above :)

http://www.kokosgold...h/page__st__100

Yes, as Fang said, what I am finding (which is not anything new, but something we often don't think about), is that although fancies may be smaller when we think about size in length, they are far larger than single tails when we think about weight. This means a fancy that is smaller in length may have a larger bio load than a single tail that appears larger.

15-20 gallons per fish is really the best rule of thumb if you are thinking long term for your fish :)

If ur stubborn like me and can't resist temptation, ya got a lot of work to do. Better follow da law or else ya be workin' more like I do.

Thanks everyone! I'm rehoming Grumpy fishy to my LFS since my second heater has broken (I think it's my power outlet but I can't move my tank to any other wall in the house). Knock on wood Stripey fishy has been really clean and since I have double filtration I think I will attempt to put a second in there after I do some more research. If my parameters get whacky then I'll have to return any new fishy.

Like I always say... give them more room than you think so they can grow... When i got charlie hes was only 2" big including tail... Now he is hitting 9" long with his tail. I cant imagine trying to keep him in a 20 gallon tank... Him and his Girl friend live in a 50 gallon tank... :o