Ahhhh! Eggs!

Frenzy

I walked past the tank today and saw some eggs! :)

The fish were eating them quickly and I had trouble getting them out of the tank so I looked in the filter and there were loads in the filter floss so I took off a tiny piece and stuck it in some tank water in my spare 2.5g. I know it is too small but it is the best I have.

I really hope the eggs are fertilized, I didn't see the chasing.

This is the first time I have seen eggs in my tank so I am very excited to see what happens.

I took a picture of them. Don't worry, they actually are not fuzzy right now it is just my camera not wanting to focus.

http://i1353.photobucket.com/albums/q665/Frenzy99/Eggs%20and%20Fry/DSCN2174_zpsf7b3ed48.jpg

Sorry about the dirt at the bottom of the tank, it is from the filter floss.

Good luck! If eggs become fuzzy and opaque, remove them. They are no good. If they stay yellow-ish and somewhat clear, leave them in, they may be fertilized.

If you can, use a turkey baster to carefully remove the gunk from the filter from the bottom of the tank, so if you have any hatch, the tank will be clean.

If you do not have a turkey baster, look if you have an extra piece of airline tubing. Get an empty container (can be an empty soda or water bottle if nothing else) and place it lower than the tank.

Stick one end of the tubing inside the tank, away from the eggs. Gently suck on the other end of the tubing to get the suction going, like a miniature siphon. Stick this end inside the empty bottle, and move the other end around inside the tank to siphon out all the gunk :)

Keep a thermometer in the tank to keep track of the temperature. You do not need a heater; room temperature is normally perfect for them to hatch. Higher temperatures may speed up the development process, but this can also have downsides. Usually they are healthier if the temperature is kept cooler, but anywhere between 20C and 24C is great, as long as the temperature is stable :)

Then, within about 24-36 hours you should start seeing two small eye dots and a spine in the eggs, if they are fertilized :)

Thank you everyone for your lovely replies and thank you Oerba for your advice.

I just found out that they are both girls, the previous owner of my fish told me Numis was a boy but I saw that Fern dropped eggs yesterday, and Numis started dropping them today so there is no way the eggs are fertilized.