Gold Gourami; too aggressive?

Evening

I'd really like to get a gold gourami for the 40B tropical tank I've had set up for a few months now. I love their coloration and their size, and I think that one would make a great showpiece fish to round the tank out well. My only problem is that Aqua advisor says that the fish is "Too aggressive" to be kept with my black neon tetras, and there are some horror stories about gold gouramis killing other fish.

So, what does koko's think? Should I chance it and try for a gold gourami, or try to find another showpiece fish?

My problem is that of similar fish of their size and solitary nature, most don't have the same coloration, or are just as aggressive. My original plan was for Dwarf Gouramis, but they have health issues, I don't really trust my local stores to have the healthiest fish, and they don't grow into that nice centerpiece size. So, should I go with this or try for another?

I have a GG for my center in my 55. He does ok but yes they are the most agressive gourami out there. I have seen a few terrors. IMO it will work just don't add 2x of any gouramis though

Edited by Steven11788

• Supporter

I have one in my community tank and she does ok. Originally, I had three but over the last year, two of them have died. You might try getting a female. You can tell them from the males because they have a deeper body and a more rounded dorsal fin. The males dorsal fins are a bit more pointed. Google pictures of them, it's quite easy to tell them apart. Good luck.

I have 2 male dwarf gouramis in my 75 community tank, and they are very healthy. I will have had them for a year, very shortly. The health issues with gouramis can happen with any of them, not just the dwarf variety. Mine came from PetCo, and are healthy and very docile. Honey sunset gouramis are also pretty laid back, as are the moonlight and pearl varieties- both of the latter mentioned being REALLY gorgeous, especially the pearl gouramis.

Pearl gourami in an e-bay listing:

http://www.ebay.com/...=item4ac0f3361d

Better pic, showing their true coloring under better lighting, and not stressed from being netter & photographed.

http://www.amazonios...ge.php?pID=2859

Edited by JamieMonster

From what I read it is a matter of trial and error. How old are your black neons? They can get rather "big" with age and even my angelfish leaves them alone. But if they are ll young and smaller, you might be taking a big risk.

They're not exactly babies, and I'd be getting a younger gourami, so they'd probably be older by the time she grew up.

What about a Rainbow Fish? The Bosemani's get quite pretty.

Also expensive, and I believe they are a schooling fish?

Got a lfs near ya, get the G's ya want and make sure the lfs can take them if they go psycho. Back in 05 I had a 55 with with 3 dwarf and it was ww3 till I figured it out I gave them 3 kingdoms. Each kingdom was like 5 Plants packed together so they could just squeeze in and out of. Had about a foot of clear rank between them. It 90% wOrked. Now days I just go with 1. But it truely depends on fish

Edited by Steven11788

• 1 month later...

I've kept a dwarf gourami with a few guppies before, and the gourami wasn't aggressive towards them at all. He has more trouble with the giant pearl gourami we have in our 6ft now, as they like to

chase each other around, but I think you should be fine with just the one dwarf if you'd like to try that. :)