Ammonia Troubles!

brittie

Tank size: 29g with a Fluval 206 (ammonia remover, extra bio). Lots of plants -- java fern, anubias, water wisteria, cabomba. I use PRIME.

PH: 7.6

Ammonia: 1.5

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 2

My tank has been set up since November 2012. It originally had Neon Tetras in it and was cycled. A month ago, I put 2 goldfish (approx 1.5inch), which magically 3 days later got ich. i quaranted the plants to kill the ich in a separate small tank while I salted the tank and added ich meds for a week. I also removed all the gravel and bleached it because I worried that the ich would survive in the gravel (paranoid!!) haha. When the week was over, i re-added the plants and cleaned gravel. Now for the last 3 weeks I have had readings of ammonia anywhere from .25 to 2ppm. Nirite always reads 0 and Nitrate are anywhere from 0-3. i have done 25/30% water changes either every 2 days or daily, if i have time. My fish are disease free, dorals are errect and they are active/hungry as per usual.

i assume the panicked removal of the gravel, combined with the meds killed my cycle. now what? :( -- just do water changes as I and eventually the ammonia will cease? I am thinking that if Nitrites haven't shown up yet, then it isn't actually re-cycling complete. Just a bump? Plus, when doing my water changes should i clean the gravel or allow it to build up BB by just taking out water and leave the gravel untouched?!

my cousin is coming to visit in March and will be bringing me her 10g tank (for free, woo! student life = broke), so in the future, i will med the 10g and have a proper quarantine tank.

I'm so sorry, but I sadly inform you that you have lost your cycle, most definitely due to the ich medication and the removal and rigorous cleaning of the gravel. I have several comments, please:

1. I am a little concerned that you did not treat long enough to completely eradicate the ich. Usually, we need to treat for 1-2 weeks longer from the day the very last white spot was observed, depending on the tank temp. There is nothing to do now, although once you've re-established your cycle, it might be prudent to salt the tank at 0.3% for 2 weeks just to make sure things are really gone.

2. Did you do anything to treat the plants? One week is a bit on the short side for my comfort with ich.

3. For future reference, you don't need to do both salt AND ich medication. You actually just need salt in most cases, unless you encounter salt-resistant ich.

4. For now, here is my suggestion to getting your cycle back on track:

- get rid of the ammonia remover. It's not necessary, expensive, and can only interfere with your cycling. Let the biological filter develop, and take care of nitrogenous wastes.

- check for ammonia, nitrite, and pH daily. Nitrate is necessary, but probably every couple of days.

- when NH3 + NO2 < 1ppm combined, you do not need to do a WC that day. Simply add 2x the amount of Prime recommended for the volume of the tank. (6 ml for you)

- when NH3 + NO2 = or >1ppm combined, you must do as close to a 100% WC as possible, add 2x Prime, and continue until you are cycled again.

I'm sorry, hopefully this won't take too long.

What is your tap pH?

get nutrafin cycle it starts your cycle instantly it worked for me my ammonia was at 8.0 i was surprised my fish didn't die but anyway within a day all the ammonia disappeared into nitrite and then nitrate

1. I treated for ich as soon as I noticed and they showed no signs from day 2 and on. I had raised the temp to 80 to speed up the ICH life cycle. In the past, I lost my previous goldfish to ICH when i just used salt method (.3%), so I did not want to risk losing them this time.

2. for the plants, i did a mild bleach solution soak and then, I put them in a small heated betta tank (2.5g) and put a mild dose of the meds. i don't have an extra filter, so I just changed the water every few days.

i will never again add meds to a cycled tank. :( this sucks. I don't have much time (between school and work). i am really beginning to hate carrying buckets up and down the stairs.

i haven't checked my tap PH offically, but city website records it from being anywhere from 7 - 7.8. which is the range my tank always tests at.

Thank you so much for all your help :)

get nutrafin cycle it starts your cycle instantly it worked for me my ammonia was at 8.0 i was surprised my fish didn't die but anyway within a day all the ammonia disappeared into nitrite and then nitrate

i have Scheam Stability, but it doesn't seem to be helping. I will try Cycle!

1. I treated for ich as soon as I noticed and they showed no signs from day 2 and on. I had raised the temp to 80 to speed up the ICH life cycle. In the past, I lost my previous goldfish to ICH when i just used salt method (.3%), so I did not want to risk losing them this time.

2. for the plants, i did a mild bleach solution soak and then, I put them in a small heated betta tank (2.5g) and put a mild dose of the meds. i don't have an extra filter, so I just changed the water every few days.

i will never again add meds to a cycled tank. :( this sucks. I don't have much time (between school and work). i am really beginning to hate carrying buckets up and down the stairs.

i haven't checked my tap PH offically, but city website records it from being anywhere from 7 - 7.8. which is the range my tank always tests at.

Thanks for the info :)

Unfortunately, it seems like all we can do now is to recycle the tank. I wonder if it's possible for you to get a water changer, which would help tremendously at this time.

You could do as Anaru suggested and get a biological supplement, but those are iffy. Sometimes they work extremely well, and at other times, they don't seem to do much.

Thanks for the info :)

Unfortunately, it seems like all we can do now is to recycle the tank. I wonder if it's possible for you to get a water changer, which would help tremendously at this time.

You could do as Anaru suggested and get a biological supplement, but those are iffy. Sometimes they work extremely well, and at other times, they don't seem to do much.

the issue is none of my taps will hook up to a water changer, except for my tap outside and they will be cold water! but I was thinking if I am refilling with cold, i could slowly add a bucket of really hot water to balance it out? its ify.

The only one I seem to be able to unscrew is in my bathroom in the basement (other taps are old and won't budge), but its half the size of what a typical water hose "outlet" would be?

Is a python or aqueon water changer better value for my money? In my town I can get the Aqueon, but further away I can get the Python!

Hi, this might seem obvious, but have you tried a wrench on the aerator attachment on the old faucets by the tank? If you can get the aerator off and take it to the local hardware store, there probably is an adapter they would have that you could screw in that would allow you to attach an aqueon or python (standard hose sizes) to your sink. They make metal adapters that will not crack and break like some of the plastic ones that come with the water changers.

Sorry you lost your cycle :(

it's alright. Rookie panic mistake, haha. I now know to not be cheap and keep a 10g on hand.

My dad said he will help me with the tap situation. I went to buy a python, but the store only has them online now. 25ft after shipping is approx $70 (ow). Hope it's worth it.

Edited by brittie