Sign in to follow this  
Helen

Physio..... for Mr Disabled..

I'm sorry it's so stressful for him! What saved me in my rat physio was that Fergus was super tame and trusting. I used a mini physio ball--I draped him over it and then let go--just for a millisecond at first--so his brain would have to kick in and try to right him. At first it seemed that nothing was happening, but after a few weeks he actually put a foot down to catch himself--and things moved like gangbusters from there! He never recovered 100%--I kept him in a smaller cage w/out levels and with only one quiet, loving friend--but he could get around, eat normally, cuddle with Oliver, etc.

I will be thinking good thoughts for Mr. Disabled and will be VERY interested in updates.

I've heard about implanting tiny weights to keep them upright--have you heard of that?

thank you!.. i have heard about the weights as well as the surgery to have a cork fitted on a fishing line etc.. however, none of those stories publish conclusions. for example, a few months ago, a surgeon implanted a fish with something to hold a fishing line and a cork (outside his body) to help the fish stay upright and swim. we don't know the outcome of this story, ie, is the fish still alive?

the only stories we learn from beginning to end are hopeful stories of harnesses and a short time after being fitted, they cause slime coat problems which brings bacteria and infection to the fish and then death. none of the "implant" stories that i have read have ever followed up with how the fish is doing, therefore we cannot ascertain positive conclusions in order to embrace this idea for our own pets. so we keep doing minor things like this and hope that something works :)

I'm sorry it's so stressful for him! What saved me in my rat physio was that Fergus was super tame and trusting. I used a mini physio ball--I draped him over it and then let go--just for a millisecond at first--so his brain would have to kick in and try to right him. At first it seemed that nothing was happening, but after a few weeks he actually put a foot down to catch himself--and things moved like gangbusters from there! He never recovered 100%--I kept him in a smaller cage w/out levels and with only one quiet, loving friend--but he could get around, eat normally, cuddle with Oliver, etc.

I will be thinking good thoughts for Mr. Disabled and will be VERY interested in updates.

I've heard about implanting tiny weights to keep them upright--have you heard of that?

thank you!.. i have heard about the weights as well as the surgery to have a cork fitted on a fishing line etc.. however, none of those stories publish conclusions. for example, a few months ago, a surgeon implanted a fish with something to hold a fishing line and a cork (outside his body) to help the fish stay upright and swim. we don't know the outcome of this story, ie, is the fish still alive?

the only stories we learn from beginning to end are hopeful stories of harnesses and a short time after being fitted, they cause slime coat problems which brings bacteria and infection to the fish and then death. none of the "implant" stories that i have read have ever followed up with how the fish is doing, therefore we cannot ascertain positive conclusions in order to embrace this idea for our own pets. so we keep doing minor things like this and hope that something works :)

Do you have a copy of 'Fancy Goldfish' by Johnson and Hess? One of them talks a little about a surgery in there, and says he's done a surgery to implant weight himself, and that eventually they did fine, but took time to adjust.

Do you have a copy of 'Fancy Goldfish' by Johnson and Hess? One of them talks a little about a surgery in there, and says he's done a surgery to implant weight himself, and that eventually they did fine, but took time to adjust.

yes, i have that book, but i didn't relate to that because Mr Disabled's issues is sitting upright. so i forgot that mention, but thank you for reminding me of that :D

The quartz surgery is an intriguing idea for floaters. I know that Sakura had been mulling it for her floater. I wonder if she's done it.

I think she got mad, because I asked her to help advertise Koko's on her promotional YouTube video. She didn't want to, and removed all her info on here. :(

This is really interesting! I can't wait to see how this turns out.

By the way, if it works, will you change his name? Will he be Mr Abled? :)

Edited by Frenzy

This is really interesting! I can't wait to see how this turns out.

thank you :) i'm about to do water changes now, so i will put him in the box on the refil :)

By the way, if it works, will you change his name? Will he be Mr Abled? :)

haha.. nice try.. no! :P

he's in the box now :) i will try for a few hours to see if he can overcome the aggression he displays.

well, in the few hours that he was in the modified box, i had to correct him about 10 times :(

so, tomorrow being sunday, i will take out the angle grinder and make another modification to "the box".. i hope this modification thought i have will prevent him from doing a somersault and ending upside down.

if i cannot prevent him from flippin upside down in the box, then i won't be trying again. he will remain with his disabilty for as long as he survives :)

the modification has not gone as smoothly as i thought, so an addition to what i show below is in progress:

Dsc_6795_zps725b8454.jpg

Dsc_6800_zps3ea8c98d.jpg

ok, so here is the additional modification, which appears to be successful. in the time that this was implimented, he has not flipped over once.

Dsc_6801_zps1107a876.jpg

Dsc_6802_zps4731b220.jpg

Dsc_6803_zpsbe8473a5.jpg

as i have considered his safety first in all that i have created here for him. this final attempt, i am very happy with. i am comfortable knowing that leaving him here like as you see above for a few hours at a time to an overnight and possibly one entire day, will not harm him asthetically in any way. not fins, not slime coat nor scales.

i resort to understanding, if his fins were to become damaged/shreaded in any way, then they are easily repaired with very mild salt treatment. damaged scales and dermis are possible health issues, so i will be checking him regularly for signs of damage to scales and dermis.

wish us luck! i hope this will help to correct him or even give his favoured resting side a break from the constant surface contact.

Good luck, Helen, and Mr. DA! :)

Good luck, Helen, and Mr. DA! :)

thank you Alex :)

I think you a wonderful lady Helen! Such persistance in both you and your fish. Keep up the hard work and determination! :)

Good luck! :)

thank you #2 :D

I think you a wonderful lady Helen! Such persistance in both you and your fish. Keep up the hard work and determination! :)

thanks for the encouraging words, Flipper :)

Wonderful! You are a very resourceful person--Mr. Disabled is VERY lucky to have met you. :) I'm following this w/ great interest.

Helen I tell all my non fish friends how amazing my friends on here are and this is a great example why. What you are doing is just amazing and I hope it works!

mission aborted :(

we tried, he never really settled enough for my liking. the longest he was in there for, was an overnight to almost 2 full days. so why did i abort this attempt?

well, i noticed that when he was settling, he was very unhappy. all other attempts, he was lively, would respond to the other fish around him.. move his eyes to see everything aroud him.. but not this time. i am pretty sure, emotionally, he was having a hard time. so i set him free.

i observed, the once social fish i had slumped in a corner and sulked for days. he got up to feed and then slumped back in that same corner. his favourite place of rest is in front of the feature driftwood with plant. he just wanted to be left alone.

so, this is now over. this was my last attempt to try and make a difference for him. perhaps i am too soft, but this is not for him. he's happier being left alone. he's becoming more social now, but he's still not back to 100% emotionally, like he used to be. the day he begins to take food from my hand again, i will be satisfied that Mr Disabled is back to his normal self.

thank you to everyone who followed this thread, offered your support & encouragement :)

to anyone who reads this, it is important for you to know. the final box i made for Mr Disabled and for the length of time he was in there (almost 2 full days) did not harm his exterior. slime coat, scales and dermis were not affected one bit. so if you're willing to try this for you fish, i recommend it and for further advice, coaching on the build/materials, you are welcome to PM me :heart

Aww, I'm sorry it didn't work out. :( Even if you can't "fix" him, he still seems to be pretty active and happy like Percy's little guy.

In that second video of you catching him, the other fish next to your hand is all "MUMMY, WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO HIM???" :rofl

Edited by Chai

Aww, I'm sorry it didn't work out. :( Even if you can't "fix" him, he still seems to be pretty active and happy like Percy's little guy.

In that second video of you catching him, the other fish next to your hand is all "MUMMY, WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO HIM???" :rofl

thank you, i know he's a happy boy.. i didn't want to mess with that, hence why it took me so many tries :)

the giants are very cheeky and personable. it's a drama, every time i need to scrub that tank clean. i start scrubbing and they swim around my hand, on the odd occasion, one sufferes a flick in the side from one of my fingers and it's like "well, excuuuuuse me!.." and then swims off in a huff.. only to return for similar treatment! :rofl

currently, they've dropped both their spray bars and riding the strength of the current! :tomuch:

tomorrow, they will eat my plant... :blink:

the next day, i will get them to do the laundry.. hahhahahah :rofl

goofballs, absolute goofballs :D

thank you, i know he's a happy boy.. i didn't want to mess with that, hence why it took me so many tries :)

the giants are very cheeky and personable. it's a drama, every time i need to scrub that tank clean. i start scrubbing and they swim around my hand, on the odd occasion, one sufferes a flick in the side from one of my fingers and it's like "well, excuuuuuse me!.." and then swims off in a huff.. only to return for similar treatment! :rofl

currently, they've dropped both their spray bars and riding the strength of the current! :tomuch:

tomorrow, they will eat my plant... :blink:

the next day, i will get them to do the laundry.. hahhahahah :rofl

goofballs, absolute goofballs :D

They sound like it! How cute :wub: