Sign in to follow this  
Helen

Physio..... for Mr Disabled..

Good luck, Helen, I hope you can figure something out. He's a stunning fish, probably my favorite one that you keep. Best wishes. :)

Thanks guys, I think I have figured something out for the walls.. More to come in a few days :) he's been "free" since that first few hours attempt. After freeing him, he did seem to swim for longer periods of time, only just, but enough for me to notice :)

Helen I know you mentioned you don't think it's swim bladder related. It's possible an inner ear injury or blow to the head could cause disorientation like this. Just a thought! He's really lovely and I hope you're able to help him.

oh how sweet your trying to help this poor baby :) I hope you come up with a solution :) keep us posted :)

Helen I know you mentioned you don't think it's swim bladder related. It's possible an inner ear injury or blow to the head could cause disorientation like this. Just a thought! He's really lovely and I hope you're able to help him.

thanks hun, yep, i think it's a blow to the head. during a spawning period, they got really aggressive. their size, their strength.. a hit to the glass, driftwood etc, i think would be enough to cause such injury. which is a shame, because i think his disability is permanent. but, if there is any chance whatsoever that this would work, it's definitely worth a try.

oh how sweet your trying to help this poor baby :) I hope you come up with a solution :) keep us posted :)

thanks shell :)

Helen I know you mentioned you don't think it's swim bladder related. It's possible an inner ear injury

Maybe I remember this wrong but do goldfish not have ears like we do? Is such an injury even possible in goldfish?

Helen I know you mentioned you don't think it's swim bladder related. It's possible an inner ear injury

Maybe I remember this wrong but do goldfish not have ears like we do? Is such an injury even possible in goldfish?

They have an inner ear system for balance just as humans do, just no external ear.

source: NCBI

Abstract

Fishes can regenerate lateral line and inner ear sensory hair cells that have been lost following exposure to ototoxic antibiotics. However, regenerative capabilities following noise exposure have not been explored in fish. Moreover, nothing is known about the functional relationship between hair cell damage and hearing loss, or the time course of morphological versus functional recovery in fishes. This study examines the relationship between hair cell damage and physiological changes in auditory responses following noise exposure in the goldfish (Carassius auratus). Goldfish were exposed to white noise (170 dB re. 1 muPa RMS) for 48 h and monitored for 8 days after exposure. Auditory thresholds were determined using the auditory evoked potential technique, and morphological hair cell damage was analyzed using phalloidin and DAPI labeling to visualize hair cell bundles and nuclei. A TUNEL assay was used to identify apoptotic cells. Following noise exposure, goldfish exhibited a significant temporary threshold shift (TTS; ranging from 13 to 20 dB) at all frequencies tested (from 0.2-2 kHz). By 7 days post-exposure, goldfish hearing recovered significantly (mean TTS<4 dB). Increased apoptotic activity was observed in the saccules and lagenae between 0 and 2 days post-exposure. Immediately after noise exposure, the central and caudal regions of saccules exhibited significant loss of hair bundles. Hair bundle density in the central saccule recovered by the end of the experiment (8 days post-exposure) while bundle density in the caudal saccule did not return to control levels in this time frame. These data demonstrate that goldfish inner ear epithelia show damage following noise exposure and that they are capable of significant regenerative responses similar to those seen following ototoxic drug treatment. Interestingly, functional recovery preceded morphological recovery in the goldfish saccule, suggesting that only a subset of hair cells are necessary for normal auditory responses, at least to the extent that hearing was measured in this study

How is he doing???

I hope Mr. Disabled gets better. Great video

well, to be fair, i don't see that i have the time to monitor him right now. so i don't want to just stick him in the box and let him be.. i would like to monitor him closely for the first two sessions.

for correctiveness, you need consistency. until the end of next week, i don't have that time available to monitor him. the good news is, i've prepared the new box, everything is ready to go :)

it looks like the old one, however, the walls that will restrict his movement are not perforated. they are flat, transparent plastic. basically, i used the lids to the breeder boxes as the restrictive walls :)

a small update :)

He is very feisty for being Mr Disabled :P

Good luck !

Edited by Quasi

Very cool! I hope this helps him!

This is what I tried first with Vanille, but she wouldn't flip so much sideways as she would... backwards somersault. Eventually she would go nose up into the air, rolling backwards, and then she was belly up again. So this version did not work out for her. It may very well work on Mr. Disabled though! Best of luck, I'm crossing my fingers for the both of you :heart

Hope this works out for you! :-)

So whatever happened??? I just found this thread and it's fascinating, esp as I rehabbed a rat who had a stroke years ago (went from completely paralyzed to getting around pretty darn well and lived another 6 mos--like 20 years to a rat).

So how did Mr. Disabled do?

And Helen--YOU ROCK! :-)

So whatever happened??? I just found this thread and it's fascinating, esp as I rehabbed a rat who had a stroke years ago (went from completely paralyzed to getting around pretty darn well and lived another 6 mos--like 20 years to a rat).

So how did Mr. Disabled do?

And Helen--YOU ROCK! :-)

ha ha! thank you :)

at the moment there is no progress. he gets stressed when he's in there... so we're doing like short 5 minutes visit into the box here and there, particularly during feeding time.

it's difficult because my tanks are a really odd size and to catch him, as you've seen, is quite the task. so every time i consider putting him in there, i need to have the time and the energy to catch him :)

he will, eventually get a good long stint at being in there. perhaps 24 to 48 hours at a time is the goal to reach. i think that amount of time will tell us if he can manage longer periods without damage to his slimecoat and scales.

the very first attempt prior to all the modifications, saw him losing about 3-5 scales in the first 2 hours. then the wait for him to repair himself before a second attempt took some time. so, slowly and surely is the best way. considering all factors, i have a "well" fish health wise, i don't want to risk making him ill for the sake of resting upright :)

thank you for checking on us! i didn't realize that members would be so keen for an update :heart

I'm sorry it's so stressful for him! What saved me in my rat physio was that Fergus was super tame and trusting. I used a mini physio ball--I draped him over it and then let go--just for a millisecond at first--so his brain would have to kick in and try to right him. At first it seemed that nothing was happening, but after a few weeks he actually put a foot down to catch himself--and things moved like gangbusters from there! He never recovered 100%--I kept him in a smaller cage w/out levels and with only one quiet, loving friend--but he could get around, eat normally, cuddle with Oliver, etc.

I will be thinking good thoughts for Mr. Disabled and will be VERY interested in updates.

I've heard about implanting tiny weights to keep them upright--have you heard of that?