Slimey Algae

FishyMandy

• Supporter

I'm getting darkish green algae in my betta tank. I've never seen algae like this before. It covers all the silk plants, heater and glass. It's not opaque, and it's like slime. You can peel it off,, it feel slippery and it stretches and tears like slime.It even gets air bubbles caught in it, between the layer of slime and the silk plants. It's only in my betta tank (5 gallon) and it grows really quickly @_@ Any idea on how to get rid of it or manage it?

That's Cyanobacteria. Not the kind of algae ya want. Clean them out gently or they scatter all over. Suction with hose. After that, do a total blackout for 3 days, completely covered and no feeding. Cut down on the lighting. If ur feeding high Spirulina, cut down on that.

Could you please post some pictures of the algae? I have a similar type of algae in my planted tank that comes and goes, and that is not harmful to my betta in there :) So pics would be good.

Silk plants need to be cleaned once every few weeks anyway, and I'll also give the heater a little rub down once in a while to get any gunk build-up off of that :)

Edit: I don't think you need to cut feeding at all, so feed as normal. Just clean the algae off, and problem solved. Algae maintenance is literally cleaning, since it is in every tank

Edited by Narny105

• Supporter

I'll try to get some pictures soon, I need to find the charger for my camera

I cleaned the silk plants about 5 days ago and they are covered in it again :(

Could too much light be a problem? The tank doesn't get direct sunlight but it is close to a window, I could see about moving it

Algae can trap air bubbles. The texture of most algaes will hold onto bubbles, especially when plants are releasing oxygen. The algae then will usually grow around it. Here's a pic of trapped air bubbles on one of my plants. As the plants mature, they will compete more for the nutrients and light, so algae will not be as overgrown as it is on this particular plant. Same thing happens on silk plants, since there is air trapped under the gravel, and filter flow will also create air bubbles.

yju9eqy7.jpg

Adding real plants will help with algae, but most of it you just are going to need to manually remove. Blacking out the tank will often work, but it is temporary unless you use other organic matter (plants) to absorb the supplements in the water that the algae uses. :)

Edited by Narny105

• Supporter

Ah yes that's what it gets like. It's tank cleaning day tomorrow anyway so I'll give the plants a scrub and hopefully look into getting some live plants. I've been wanting to but so many expenses and so little $$ lol

Water wisteria, anacharis, and Hygrophila Corymbosa (aka "temple plant", "Giant Hygro") are supposed to be really nice nutrient sponges. Any super fast growing plant should be helpful though. :)

In addition, especially in a betta tank, having some floating plants will help reduce algae, as this will block out excess light. Floating plants are great nutrient absorbers as well and bettas love to hide in them. If you can find some duckweed, mini water lettuce, frogbit etc, this will significantly help as well. Especially since you have only silk plants from what I understand, the plants below won't be affected by dimmed light. :)