Goldfish With Rock Stuck in Mouth

CamilleM

My goldfish (a year old) has a rock stuck in his mouth, and he usually gets any rocks out of his mouth, but this one is stuck in there pretty far and it's been there for a good 3-4 hours.

People online say they have to get it out using tweezers, and I have no idea how to....

Please help!

20130215_121639_zps7c052f20.jpg

20130215_121658_zpse356eea2.jpg

Sorry, I know the pictures aren't very good, but they're the best I can do.

Try holding him vertically, head down, and then lift straight out of the water. This may be enough for him to spit it out.

If not, then gently pry the rock free with tweezers. I've done it a couple of times. :o

You will need to consider removing all gravel, or going with a much smaller size to avoid future issues. :)

If you hold him vertically as I've instructed, he will instinctively open his mouth.

If you are careful, and with luck, he isn't going to be hurt. However, we don't really have much of a choice. That pebble needs to be dislodged.

Hope everything goes well!

This is exactly the reason why I went to a bare-bottom tank as this became a regular occurrence with my fish.

When it happened to me I put him sideways on a plate with tank water on it so it still got oxygen in one gill. Laid it on its side, and ended up just moving it a bit with the tweezer. That was enough for the fish to spit it out. I didn't have to actually grab and tug. Not what I was trying to do but how it happened.

Very scary, I went to barebottom afterwards, now I have sand.

Edited by Smurfishy

Please remove the gravel or try smaller/bigger rocks ASAP! One of my fish got a rock stuck twice and I waited to do anything about the gravel and I found him dead maybe a couple weeks later :( not to scare you!! I wasn't sure if it was another rock so far down I couldn't really see or maybe a cut from the rocks getting infected.. It was kind of a mystery but I'm sure it was related and I regretted not doing anything sooner so much. I just feel if your fish is prone to doing this, it's not something you want to leave to chance. I'm glad the rock came out tho! :)