Sign in to follow this  
KingKong

Ruined my bacteria transfer?

So I just got a 55 gallon last weekend and was moving the bacteria (in filter pad) from my 10 gallon growout tank into a Penguin 350 and forgot one thing....the conditioner.

I added the conditioner as quickly as possible after forgetting about it (in 1 minutes time) - are the bacteria still living? Or has the tap already killed it already?

On the bright side I also have an extra filter floss running in the 10g filter so I sould be fine - but starting with more helpful bacteria is better...

Also, once the bacteria has been transferred, how long would it take until I could put my fish in?

Thanks again.

I think the bacteria should be fine it would take alot longer than that for anything major to happen and I would wait about a day or so , and even then check the water parameters daily :twocents

Edited by Gustave

Do you have fish in the 10 gallon that you are waiting to transfer to the 55? Has anything been added to the 55 to feed the bacteria (some sort of ammonia source)?

Do you have fish in the 10 gallon that you are waiting to transfer to the 55? Has anything been added to the 55 to feed the bacteria (some sort of ammonia source)?

Although I have backup filter cartiges and a pump goinf for their last few days in the tank.

As for things to feed the bacteria - no. Should I add somehting like fish food?

So you do have fish in the 10 gallon? Why not move them to the 55 gallon? Is the 10 gallon cycled? I guess I'm a little confused . . . :idont

So you do have fish in the 10 gallon? Why not move them to the 55 gallon? Is the 10 gallon cycled? I guess I'm a little confused . . . :idont

Overview: the 10 gallont ank is where I have my original goldfish placed in when they are young (half inch to and inch long). Since they grew up, the spaec is too small, and now I'm doing a mass upgrade for them.

The 55 is new - the 10 is old and well cycled.

Gotcha thanks. You can just transfer the filter(s) from the 10 to the 55. It's the filter(s) that is cycled, not the tank. Assuming you are not adding additional fish, your cycle that is already established on the 10 gallon filter will transfer to the 55 when you move the filter. However because you've got 5.5 the water volume, you will need additional filtration vs the 10 gallon (you probably know this. :D )

So I would move the filter(s) and the fish from the 10 gallon to the 55, add another filter if needed, and watch for any cycle bumps over the next couple of weeks. I wouldn't expect a big bump but you'll want to keep your eye on your parameters, especially ammonia and nitrites.

You'll still most likely have a cycle bump when transferring the media, however that will just be the bacteria building up and should be easily manageable. I agree with Faintail fan since transferring over will actually be a lot easier in terms of maintenance, since you can add some prime in to keep the fish safe if you do have a little bump, and since the water volume is much larger, water quality will be a lot easier to maintain :)