Sign in to follow this  
Batto

Gel food made with salmon frozen for 6 months - still ok?

Hi guys, my lovely oranda has thankfully recovered from a bacterial infection and I am being scrupulous about her water and food. :)

I made some gel food approx 6 months ago that contained salmon did a quick search and they say you should never freeze fish longer than this.

How long can you freeze gel food for?

And do we believe it could do any harm if you feed it to your fish if it is past it's best by date?

Cheers

It probably is fine, but I'm one that goes with "when in doubt - throw it out".

It's just not worth the risk to me :)

Cheers Oerba, think I'll start a new batch ;)

6 months? I would only freeze things like ham for 6 months. For salmon and other fatty fish, I wouldn't freeze longer than 3 months since the fish deteriorate and decline in quality. When I am using salmon in gel foods, I generally make enough for 1 month at a time, and take out a weeks worth of gel food at a time to stick into the fridge.

I don't even keep frozen blood worms past 3 months, since they are usually quite dry and lacking quality by then :)

I don't think you would need to make gel food lasting 6 months plus, because it just declines in quality. It's much easier to make it lasting no longer than 2-3 months, since then you really don't have to worry about the quality of it during that time :)

Yes totally agree Narny, it was my first batch of gel food and I made soooo much!!

I will halve the ingredients this time :)