Anyone read Japanese? Medication for injury but can't read instructions

tangcoral

Unfortunately my fantail had an accident with the filter pipe.

He now has a 1 inch semi deep cut with scales missing right above his head.

Hes doing fine but I want to take preventive measures to avoid infection and fast heal time.

Being in Thailand I don't have access to much meds but at my LFS they gave me a packet of granulated powder that will make the water turn yellow.

Hes currently in 20 gal QT with .3% salt water for 1 day now. The LFS said to put 1/3 of this packet in and let him stay for 3 days.

How long should he be in the QT tank with salt?

I would love for someone to translate what it says on the packet and the small instructions.

IMG_0941.jpgIMG_0943.jpg

The first pic says

iruba-jue?

and for the last one, I can't read it. :( I can only read hiragana and katakana, no kanji. Maybe Artsy Goldfish can help you, she speaks Japanese. :)

Edited by Orandatchi♥

I'm not a mod, but please wait for one to respond to this before adding this to your water. It sounds similar to Maracyn to me, which is an antibiotic that should only be used under very specific circumstances. Also, using just .3% salt and pristine water may be enough to heal the wounds effectively. Would it be possible for you to fill out the form at the top of this page and post a picture? That would really help us make the best treatment suggestions for him. :)

I'm not a mod, but please wait for one to respond to this before adding this to your water. It sounds similar to Maracyn to me, which is an antibiotic that should only be used under very specific circumstances. Also, using just .3% salt and pristine water may be enough to heal the wounds effectively. Would it be possible for you to fill out the form at the top of this page and post a picture? That would really help us make the best treatment suggestions for him. :)

Jenny, can you translate it for me, please, if you can?

If not, I will try to see if I can find MagiKarp.

Tangcoral, could you answer these questions below? Pics or a video will be very helpful as well. :)

Test Results for the Following:
  • * Ammonia Level (tank):
  • * Nitrite Level (tank)
  • * Nitrate level (Tank)
  • * Ammonia Level (Tap):
  • * Nitrite Level (Tap)
  • * Nitrate level (Tap)
  • * Ph Level, (Tank) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
  • * Ph Level, (Tap) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
  • * Water temperature?
  • * How often do you change the water and how much?

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?
  • * Any medications added to the tank?
  • * List previous issues experienced (dropsy, SBD, etc.)
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * You can really help us to identify with the concern more accurately if you post some pictures and a short video.

Jenny, can you translate it for me, please, if you can?

If not, I will try to see if I can find MagiKarp.

Oh, I don't speak Japanese at all I was going off of his description. "Being in Thailand I don't have access to much meds but at my LFS they gave me a packet of granulated powder that will make the water turn yellow..The LFS said to put 1/3 of this packet in and let him stay for 3 days." This sounds very similar to the look and treatment schedule of maracyn, if I remember correctly.

Thank you for the replies...This results are from my OT tank, let me know if you need parameters for my main tank.

• Test Results for the Following:
  • * Ammonia Level (tank): 0
  • * Nitrite Level (tank) 0
  • * Nitrate level (Tank) trace and main tank 30ppm
  • * Ammonia Level (RO h20): 0
  • * Nitrite Level (RO h20) 0
  • * Nitrate level (RO h20) trace
  • * Ph Level, (Tank) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.4
  • * Ph Level, (Tap) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.4
    Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API test drops
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? QT no filter just air bubble for areation and Main tank K1 media filter and sponge filter
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? None
  • * Water temperature? 79 F
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? 2 times weekly 50%

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? QT 100% new and MT 50%
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? QT 18gal 1 day and MAIN 50gal 3 months
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? QT 1 and Main 5
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? hikari lionhead and frozen blood worm and occasionally peas
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? NO
  • * Any medications added to the tank? QT just .3% salt and nothing in Main
  • * List previous issues experienced (dropsy, SBD, etc.) NONE
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? NONE, just cut and missing scales due to srape with pvc filter pipe
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? NONE, injured fish acting and eating normal.
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. NONE
  • * You can really help us to identify with the concern more accurately if you post some pictures and a short video. I will try to get pictures

Edited by tangcoral

okay I've found out it's called "japanese yellow powder" and here is some information I came across

- Anti Septic / Anti Bacteria Agent

CONTENTS: SODIUM NIFRUSTYRENATE 100mg / g

USAGE:

For Koi stomach or intestine inflammation or Perciformes

・ Mix 10g of ELBAJO well with adequate amount of Freshwater.

・ Spray to 1 kg Pellet Feeds and let dry in room temperature and coat feed

with binder such as fish or squid oil.

・ Feed it to your koi fish for 7 days.

For fish bathing treatment due to external infection and wounds

• Use 1g~3g ELBAJO with salt for 1000 liters of water.
  • Put fish into solution for 2 hours or more.
  • Maintain good oxygen level by using air pump.

For live fish transportation :

・ Mix 1g-2g of ELBAJO with 500 liters of Freshwater.

・ This is to prevent fishes from getting infection during “catch and scratch” handling process.

AVOID SUNSHINE WHILE TREATMENT !

Packing : 100g per pkt (10 pkts / box).

Thank you for the fantastic help, you guys, especially PSP! :D

It's my opinion that you unless there is quite a severe threat of infection, daily 100% WCs, salt dips, and salt at 0.3% are better for your fish. This product will kill your cycle, and I don't know how effectively it works by this point in time, given the widespread use in Asia.

Sodium Nifrustyrenate is also marketed as Furan 3 in the states I believe. I think it would be okay to use, I read it is Elbajo is very popular in Asia and among goldfish breeders. It is an antibacterial and if it's a serious wound should help decrease the chance of infection greatly. You can stick with very clean water and salt but use this as a back up if things start to look bad or if the fish isn't healing well.

Ahh..come to think of it I see the extensive usage of this med here in Thailand pet fish market where hundreds of vendors gather for weekend sale.

Normally early in the morning the fish are in plastic shipping bags are filled with yellowish water dropped off by suppliers.

dnalex, I think I will go with your suggestion and skip this treatment. Question, you mentioned 100% WC for severely infected fish how about my case where it looks none to mild. Would 50% or less be okay cause when I introduce salt I staggered the dosage at .1% every 12 hours. So it would be hard to imagine how easily that can be done with a daily WC of 100%

Once you have the salt up at 0.3%, you could just replenish the salt back to up to that level without having to go step wise.

For now, given that you said it's a clean cut, I think the smaller WCs will be OK, although I would definitely just keep an eye on it. If you see signs of inflammation, definitely let us know, and it may then be necessary to use the yellow powder.

^Whenever you do 100% WC just replace the salt? You dont have to reacclimate it over 12 hours if the fish has been in .3% the whole time. With salt that make ammonia more dangerous, so 100% WCs are important and essential, especially with an open wound.

EDIT: sniped by alex. :rofl

Edited by Pearlscaleperfect

Doh I knew that! The acclimation of .3% is not needed since is already acclimated (forgot about that one)

Once again I tank you guys for the awesome response time...I am now a believer in this forum so I just might be a subscriber for the support.

Also from past threads I found these post..

It's been used to transport koi for years and years, Has a calming effect on fish. Also used in QT as a antibacterial and gill wash, great use for ulcers along with salt. I have a friend who uses it for her koi and swears she'd never be without it.

and

It is anti bacterial, not for parasites. Good for stress as when shipping fish. Has a calming effect though they do not know why. Supposedly very good for ulcers especially in conjunction with salt.

Edited by tangcoral

yellow powder...really good stuff you have there. For treatment purposes you would use it for

"fin rot, gill rot, hemorrhagic septicemia, mild dropsy, skin lesions, bacteria infection related to the digestive system and other bacteria infections"

but thats the newer yellow powder but yours should still be just as effective if you decide to use it. I think it is one of the three must have medice in asia...wish is was easier to get over here as it is over there >.<