Ulcers

Artemis

My dear little red and white high head oranda Gwen has ulcers. She had one on her side when I got her and one on her dorsal fin but even with the better water quality, she has gotten one on her lower lip that is growing and has ragged tissues and one on her anal fin. You can see the one on her dorsal fin and a little it of the one on her side, it's the kinda raised and greenish lump on her side (it's actually more pink) and you can kinda see how her lower lip sticks out. My old oranda died when a cat got him and she is in his old tank so it's cycled with 0 ammonia and nitrite and about 10 Nitrate. What can I do to help her?

2yyuzar.jpg

• Test Results for the Following:
  • * Ammonia Level (tank):0
  • * Nitrite Level (tank)0
  • * Nitrate level (Tank)10
  • * Ammonia Level (Tap):0
  • * Nitrite Level (Tap)0
  • * Nitrate level (Tap)0
  • * Ph Level, (Tank) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)7.4
  • * Ph Level, (Tap) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)7.6
    Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Drops
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? 1 Pond pump and a Tetra 60 gal Whisper
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? API Stress oat for chloramines
  • * Water temperature? About 65 F
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? 6-12 gallons 1 time a week

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Thursday when we got her
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? A few years. 30 gal
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 5 total of 7 inches
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Flakes, gel food, spirulina/brine shrimp, and peas 4-5 times a day.
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? She's the new one, we got her like this
  • * Any medications added to the tank? No
  • * List previous issues experienced (dropsy, SBD, etc.) Unknown
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? The ulcers, nothing else. She's the only one affected
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

• * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. The tank had MelaFix for the first day she was here at half the dosage, no other treatments used.

She won't stand still.

I was looking online and it looks like carp pox. The one on her side at closer examination looks like it was a cut. She came from a pretty bad shop.

Do I need to move her into my 10 gal tank so she doesn't infect the other fish?

If there is a sick fish, then isolating her isn't a bad idea at all, to avoid spread of contagion (if there is one), and to prevent the sick/injured fish from being picked on.

While of course carp pox is definitely something that is possible, I don't know that we have enough to conclude anything. Try getting a video, or actually gently hold her still so that you can take pics of the affected spot.

Do you have adequate filtration/aeration etc. for the QT?

I can get it. So yes. That is my best camera and pic, I took maybe 30 pics and that was the only clear one. It might not be that, possibly parasite

Hi and welcome to Kokos. I'm sorry your fish is having problems. If you can get your arm in there and gently cup her in your hand a bit, against the aquarium glass, you should be able to get a better photo or video. You can also scoop her into a Tupperware container so she has less room to swim away from the camera if you don't want to handle her :)

If your camera has a macro or sports setting, it will do a better job of picking up details. Her in clean water with either a white or dark background will make a good background for the mods to be able to see the injuries closer.

Unfortunately five fish in a tank that size will produce lots of waste, which means your tank parameters can't be zero. Also, there are so many things that look like ulcers or can create ulcers that the experts can't really help until things have gotten more specific. Best of luck with your fish and again, welcome to Kokos.

Edited by GreenTea

The tank has cycled so the bacteria can handle the waste. I use my camera phone. If you even did 4 gallons per 1 inch of fish, I would be 2 gallons under the stocking level and I got with 2.5 per inch.

The tank has cycled so the bacteria can handle the waste. I use my camera phone. If you even did 4 gallons per 1 inch of fish, I would be 2 gallons under the stocking level and I got with 2.5 per inch.

Goldfish can get 8+ inches long, whether fancy or single tail, and we reccomend 10-20 gallons per fish. Less than that will create chronic issues, which this may be the first sign of. It will also stunt your fish, preventing optimal growth and overall health.

If you have substrate and decor in your tank, its holding even less than 30 gallons. Even if the tank is cycled, 6 gallons a week on such an overstocked tank is not enough to keep levels safe at all times.

When I came here I was overstocked as well as not properly cycled and didn't realize or maybe want to admit I had done something to hurt them because I really did care about them. We all make mistakes and learn. There are lots of great articles and helpful people on this site to help you with anything you may need :)

Can you use a guardian or friends camera? They really won't be able to help you without more info hon. There are just so many things it could be. Fish are good at hiding illnesses until they are in advanced stages unfortunately. Many of us check our fish over daily and do frequent large water changes and still have problems. Myself included.

Edited by GreenTea

• Admin

I will have to agree... you just got to many fish in this tank. Ulcers can be a sign that there is bad bacteria in the tank.

Also Pond Pump what kind is this...

We bought her with the ulcers, this is a temporary home. Just for a year or so. We bought her with the ulcers and she is the only fish with signs.I don't know the brand it is. We bought it refurbished.there is not bad bacteria if that was the case I believe the salt and melafix would have gotten rid of it.

• Admin

Well if thats the case then she still needs to be in a QT tank by her self so you can treat her....

Also there still is the issue of having to many fish in that tank... :twocents

Melafix is good for small issues, but for ulcers, it may not be enough. This is true with salt, although salt is more potent than Melafix in my opinion.

Do you have the better pics yet?

Artemis,

I'd like to give you suggestions on what to do, but I really need better pics. Since you said you have better pics, please try to post them ASAP so that we can go from there. :)

She is deeply attached to my other fish Panda, separation would kill her. I used some more melafix and the ulcers and cotton are going down. I also ga e her a salt bath and that got most of the fungusoff.

Two f my new fish Panda and Ebay had ammonka poisoning when I got them. Their fins are clamped and I have had them almost a wek in ammonia free water. What else can I do to unclamp tghem

She is deeply attached to my other fish Panda, separation would kill her.

What an interesting comment.

Also, Artemis, may I ask why you think that your fish got ammonia poisoning when you first got them?

I would like to say that in order for us to help you, you might actually have to do some of the things we suggested. For example, even if the two fish are the very best of friends, separating them would not hurt them. In fact, it stands to hurt them more if the sick fish is not separated and treated. :(

Separation from each other will NOT kill your fish. Not separating them may kill your fish because this undiagnosed disease could spread. You need to get the one with the ulcers in a quarantine tank, then take better pictures of it and wait before adding any medications to the tank. Melafix can be problematic sometimes and some goldfish do not react well to it. Please listen to koko and dnalex. They are trying to help you save your fish.

• Admin

I feel as though we are only getting bits and pieces of information. With that being said its really hard to help some one this way.

We cant help if you dont help us to help you....

The fish have clamped fins. This website says it is ammonia poisoning

It will kill Ebay if I separate them it happen to this fantail here when his tank mate died

And now Panda has red splotches like the Nitrite Poisoning

Edited by koko
Links not allowed please read the rules