Substrate and lack of

MummyDJ

Yeah Koko, I want to see your bare bottom with algae? I am new to fish keeping and love my bare bottom tank with a few planets tied to some pond rocks, but right now I have some yucky brown algae on a few of my rocks. I want to promote green algae in my tank, especially on my bottom :booty Teach me your ways!

OKay okay... when I do my next water change and clean my tank walls so you can see, Ill get photos of my green bare bottom for you guys... There isnt alot but its comeing in nicely :)

Quality not quantity # 1 !!!! :P

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha, I think we were all expecting a bit more. But I like the start! I can't wait to start growing green algae, I have a feeling it is going to be a long time before I can. Do your goldfish like to nip at it?

• Admin

Haha, I think we were all expecting a bit more. But I like the start! I can't wait to start growing green algae, I have a feeling it is going to be a long time before I can. Do your goldfish like to nip at it?

Yeah it was coming in fast then, the light changed on me from the back of the tank and I got hit with brown algae... So Now I placed some Whisteria in the tank... We will see who will win now :lol3

Some times they nip but most of the time they are nipping on my Anubias plants algae :)

Guest Yellanda

I have black gravel but I vaccuum the surface of it every time I do a water change (every week) so the poop gets cleaned out. The gravel is a great place for good bacteria to colonize so when I have to clean my filter (and potentially wipe out the good bacteria colony), there is still loads of good bactera in the gravel to keep the tank balanced.

But as others have pointed, the gravel can be a hazard as goldfish sometimes swallow it when foraging for food!