Substrate and lack of

MummyDJ

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to have my tank bare-bottom, but decided I didn't like it and now I'd never have it like that again. I actually found that it looked dirtier like that, because there always seemed to be poo on the bottom of the tank, even 5 minutes after I'd cleaned it! :blush:

The keyword, clean, is the reason as all stated above. Now, barebottom tanks work best with black silicone. You can also spray paint the bottom (outside, not inside) black to help with reducing reflection and glare. Or you can keep it clear to allow light into the stand for easy access without a need for flashlight, etc. Ya can find tanks with black silicone anywhere. Plants will go into pots and vases. One side effect with barebottom tanks is the job to scrape the bottom clean of alage.

I'm actually trying to grow Green Algae on my bottom :thumbs:

Any pics of that "Number 1" :lol3 ???......... :booty LOL!!!

Edited by Phillyn17

• Admin

The keyword, clean, is the reason as all stated above. Now, barebottom tanks work best with black silicone. You can also spray paint the bottom (outside, not inside) black to help with reducing reflection and glare. Or you can keep it clear to allow light into the stand for easy access without a need for flashlight, etc. Ya can find tanks with black silicone anywhere. Plants will go into pots and vases. One side effect with barebottom tanks is the job to scrape the bottom clean of alage.

Oh I can get you pic of my Algae bare bottom if you want :teehee

• Supporter

Oh I can get you pic of my Algae bare bottom if you want :teehee

:yikes

I had a bare bottom goldie tank for a while many years ago, but I just didn't like the look. I tried everything, plants in pots, scattered river stones, a handful of glass jewels, you name it. It just didn't work for me.

But I tend to go for a brightly colored (some would say tacky, gasp!) look in my tanks anyway. So I dig colored gravel.

I also would like to point out that when the tank with substrate (the right amount, the right type) is properly kept, there is no indication that the fish are any less healthier than those in bare bottom tanks. There is also no data that says that fish in bare bottom tanks are actually healthier. It really comes down to preference.

ichthius, a breeder of many many different kinds of goldfish, has sand in all of his tanks/tubs/containers.

• Supporter

I also would like to point out that when the tank with substrate (the right amount, the right type) is properly kept, there is no indication that the fish are any less healthier than those in bare bottom tanks. There is also no data that says that fish in bare bottom tanks are actually healthier. It really comes down to preference.

ichthius, a breeder of many many different kinds of goldfish, has sand in all of his tanks/tubs/containers.

go away! :kickbutt

:rofl:tomuch:

I go bare bottom, but I have those smooth glass gems scattered about for decoration. I find that the fish aren't deprived of the natural foraging behavior since they can poke around through the gems and they're strong enough to push them about as well. They seem to enjoy it, as the gems are in a different place every morning. XD

:rofl :rofl :rofl

I only answered for Shawn, of course :rofl

:rofl :rofl :rofl

Yep, I am not a bare-bottom girl. (Well, maybe if I go to that kind of beach! ;):fbottom: )

My long list: I like the look of substrate, I have no desire to clean the bottom of the tank, I don't want to see poo sitting on the bottom, I like the more natural environment for the fish, the fish like to sift through the sand, the sand doesn't require hardly any maintenance, I like the planted look, the fish like the plants, the plants help keep the tank "clean" and cycled. ;)

I don't see myself ever going bare bottom, but despite my grumblings, I admire several bare-bottom tanks here. They can be lush and lovely. :)

Edited by ShawneeRiver

Hey all,

I am new here, been lurking for a bit due to my newly acquired goldies and I've been confused about the trend for bare bottom tanks with goldfish. In one of my other planted tanks I have very messy residents (3 adult African clawed frogs and a surinam toad, all carnivores, comment removed) and I never vacuum the substrate. Since the substrate contains a ton of beneficial bacteria, too much vacuuming can hurt the colony and with a mature tank and proper filtration, there's not much need, especially with plants. The waste from fish is used by plants, who with growth suck up ammonia and nitrates. I also keep Malaysian Trumpet Snails who aerate the substrate constantly, lowering the chance of harmful gasses building up. All put together, in my opinion substrate is more beneficial than harmful.

But yeah, it's definitely a preference. My new goldfish tank was without a substrate for two weeks until I had the cash to complete it, I couldn't stand it. Just put in a substrate tonight and planted it. I'm much happier and I hope my golden friends are too!

Edited by Helen
comment removed

Anyway, substrate contains around 10% of all beneficial bacteria colonised within the tank environment, so yes, over-cleaning can hurt the cycle and cause a little bump, but so can over-cleaning the filter which contains most bacteria, but gravel is not essential. You can have a very strong cycle even without gravel, since proper filtration allows for the space for those bacteria to colonise. It's completely personal preference :) I keep no gravel in my goldfish tank, but I keep it in my planted 15 gal betta tank since it's a great source for plants. I usually just skim clean the surface of the planted tank, and don't touch what is underneath :)

I'm personally at the stage where I also want to add something to the bottom (had barebottom tank for over a year now), since now I have the room to add plants and gravel with adequate stocking. Can't at the moment though, but it's a plan for the future! :)

Edited by Narny105

if I don't have live plants and if I've never had a substrate (ie. never went from gravel to barebottom, was straight barebottom), then I wouldn't be missing out on any bb I never had, and my silk plants wouldn't mind not getting nutrients. :D

All this talk of bare bottoms and growing things on our bottoms.. Perhaps we should wear pants for now? Might cut down on the bottom growth.

Yeah, but if we grew leaves on our bottoms we wouldn't need pants Hibuna....LOL!! :booty

I had nature blends pebbles in my tanks for several years, and after having to pluck rocks out of fish mouths far too often, I removed it all & went to bare-bottom in 2005. Lisa is the only fish that would have been able to forage in gravel, but Spot & Bart have never known anything but bare-bottom.

What I like about the bare-bottom is that it stays clean with the fish foraging as they are fed sinking pellets, and if any algae grows, they clean that. In addition, the pleco also keeps it clean, so I never scrub the bottom of the tank in any way.

• Admin

There sure are ALOT of BARE BOTTOMS on this forum!!!!! I have thought about it but for now I keep my bottom covered!!!!

:booty

i like my bare bottom... still need to show you guys my algae on my bare bottom... its coming in nicely :)

Yeah Koko, I want to see your bare bottom with algae? I am new to fish keeping and love my bare bottom tank with a few planets tied to some pond rocks, but right now I have some yucky brown algae on a few of my rocks. I want to promote green algae in my tank, especially on my bottom :booty Teach me your ways!

I wouldn't use gravel because I don't want to pick it out of a fish's mouth. Sand is a natural substrate for goldfish (natural ponds and lakes very rarely have gravel bottoms), is safe for them to eat, and easy to clean. I have it in a couple of my ponds and like it a lot. The only disadvantage is that you have to make sure your filter intake is far enough from the bottom so it doesn't pick up sand. With sand, you should clean your impeller more often to keep any sand that is picked up from doing damage.

• Admin

Yeah Koko, I want to see your bare bottom with algae? I am new to fish keeping and love my bare bottom tank with a few planets tied to some pond rocks, but right now I have some yucky brown algae on a few of my rocks. I want to promote green algae in my tank, especially on my bottom :booty Teach me your ways!

OKay okay... when I do my next water change and clean my tank walls so you can see, Ill get photos of my green bare bottom for you guys... There isnt alot but its comeing in nicely :)

OKay okay... when I do my next water change and clean my tank walls so you can see, Ill get photos of my green bare bottom for you guys... There isnt alot but its comeing in nicely :)

How exciting can't wait to see it!! After searching the web for more information on this bare bottom algae look I stumbled across moss walls. I may incorporate some moss walls and abit on the bottom to create a river bed look. I love live plants in my tank and watching them grow along side my fish!

I wouldn't use gravel because I don't want to pick it out of a fish's mouth. Sand is a natural substrate for goldfish (natural ponds and lakes very rarely have gravel bottoms), is safe for them to eat, and easy to clean. I have it in a couple of my ponds and like it a lot. The only disadvantage is that you have to make sure your filter intake is far enough from the bottom so it doesn't pick up sand. With sand, you should clean your impeller more often to keep any sand that is picked up from doing damage.

I use sand for my guys too. Worst case scenario they can sift it through their gills to avoid choking. They also keep it quite clean for me, because they sift around in it allowing the filter to take up the dirt and encourages natural foraging behaviour. :-)