Substrate and lack of

MummyDJ

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did have sand and the main reason I took my substrate out was because of how clean it kept my tank. All uneatten food and poop would get Sucked into the filters quickly. This also made water changes easier because I wouldn't have to vacumm the sand :) hope this sorta helps

• Supporter

i like the crisp clean look it gives and the fish stand out more. i prefer bare bottom tank as it takes me less time to clean it, as well as i feel it reduces the chance of bacteria to become trapped as it would in gravel or other substrates.

• Supporter

It seems so shocking at first, at least it did for me. I love bare bottom tanks. I have small river rocks in mine, but just enough to break up the space a bit and hide the poo between cleanings. :)

Bare bottom deffo the way forward for easy maintenance, however I feel it deprives them somewhat of there natural instict, they are derived from bottom feeders after all. I reckon mine spend 80% of there time going through the gravel.

Bare bottom deffo the way forward for easy maintenance, however I feel it deprives them somewhat of there natural instict, they are derived from bottom feeders after all. I reckon mine spend 80% of there time going through the gravel.

This is exactly why I wondered why there were tanks without. My little guys love rooting through thr gravel and I wonder if, without that. They might get bored?

when I had goldies, it was a case of once I went barebottom I never looked back! as everyone else has mentioned, I loved the look of how clean and crisp it was (that is if I kept up with water changes/using a turkey baster to suck out stray poos!), and you don't get grot trapped under any gravel that rots away. another thing that made me make the transition was that one of my smaller fantails was picking through substrate when it got lodged in her mouth! that experience terrified me because I had to hold her gently and try to wiggle it out. so yeah that's another thing - not wanting my baby goldies to choke to death haha.

Yes fish forage at the bottom of the tank, they do enjoy sifting through substrate if it's available but remember that most pond keepers don't have gravel at the bottom of their ponds. I don't think keeping a tank without substrate deprives the fish in any way.

The choice of substrate or not is just another choice the fishkeeper can make to help personalize and enjoy their hobby. :)

• Admin

I dont have any gravel or sand.. I like it bare :fbottom: cause its easier to clean and I can see there poop alot better when they do... Just make sure you have plenty of filtration media to hold the BB's in the tank and your good to go. : :thumbs:

Having substrate or not really just comes down to personal preference. :)

I have thought of adding some kind of substrate to my goldies tank, but I just love to many things about bare bottom tanks to try something else out anytime soon. I think bare bottom tanks look really nice clean, and it cuts maintenance time and effort significantly. Plus, I still have plants and rocks in my tank that my fish forage around in. Both my girls never stop moving around and never act "bored" at all, even in the slightest.

Also, as Una pointed out, ponds are recommended to have smooth bottoms (no gravel or rocks) to deter harmful bacterial issues. Pond fish absolutely thrive in this type of environment and live very long and healthy lives.

If you like the way substrate looks, and don't mind having to gravel vac it thoroughly each week, then it is a great choice. If you like bare bottom tanks, and want to be able to do quicker water changes, then bare bottom is a great choice as well.

The goldfish will be happy either way. ;)

I'm the opposite of most people here. I had my tank bare bottom for a very long time and then one day I decided to try sand and haven't looked back. I really love watching my fish dig through the substrate as it lets me see some hint of their wild behavior that other carp species exhibit. I really love that about it. Sand and thin gravel is relatively maintenance free if you have plants. But if you don't have a siphon bare bottom is definitely easier. It comes down to personal taste really.

I'm a die-hard bare bottomer, but I really enjoy the experience of having a planted tank. My husband wouldn't let another tank in the house, so I had to plant the goldie tank. Bare bottom is so quick and easy to maintain, but there's nothing quite like a lush planted tank. :)

The keyword, clean, is the reason as all stated above. Now, barebottom tanks work best with black silicone. You can also spray paint the bottom (outside, not inside) black to help with reducing reflection and glare. Or you can keep it clear to allow light into the stand for easy access without a need for flashlight, etc. Ya can find tanks with black silicone anywhere. Plants will go into pots and vases. One side effect with barebottom tanks is the job to scrape the bottom clean of alage.

Edited by Thunder

• Supporter

you should try to compromise :) i have loose bioballs in the tanks, the fish love to push them around ;) and they stay clean too :)

• Admin

The keyword, clean, is the reason as all stated above. Now, barebottom tanks work best with black silicone. You can also spray paint the bottom (outside, not inside) black to help with reducing reflection and glare. Or you can keep it clear to allow light into the stand for easy access without a need for flashlight, etc. Ya can find tanks with black silicone anywhere. Plants will go into pots and vases. One side effect with barebottom tanks is the job to scrape the bottom clean of alage.

Im actually trying to grow Green Algae on my bottom and walls.... So no need to paint the glass..... Also my plants are glued down to river rocks :thumbs:

I am in the middle of going bare bottom after making some mistakes with gravel and my Clementine also gets pebbles stuck in her mouth occasionally.

I like the aesthetics of it and the ease that I hope it will be :) I've nearly gotten rid of all the gravel and though she loves to suck and forage through the gravel. I notice my fish still sucks on the glass, plants and driftwood offered so she is entertained by that. So I don't think any natural instinct is deprived as they find other things to suck on haha.

you should try to compromise :) i have loose bioballs in the tanks, the fish love to push them around ;) and they stay clean too :)

Think I will stick with the jungle for as long as possible :) munching on plants, digging in gravel, what more could a goldfish want.

20130210_190923_zps48de513d.jpg

Khan that looks lovely :)

My old 'smaller' tank I always had gravel in and plants in. Think it looks more natural. But yes you do have to spend a good time more gravel vac'ing it and put more work in to looking after it.

But for the look of it was worth it.

My big 73usg tank is very heavy, thick and chunky so I have a hand full of gravel in there. Due to a few factors.

1, Mostly to the extra weight on my floor boards, LoL. The tanks empty is very very heavy.

2, it still gives them something to enjoy rummaging in.

.. and 3 the bottom of my tank is not plane glass, you can see the square "pattern" coming through from the bottom of the tank (not the stand) and it has a thick glass support edging all round it, so the gravel breaks up seeing that a bit. Totally bare bottom in my tank wouldnt look so crisp, so to speak.

Looks some thing like this, but now have the Bog wood at an angle in the corner with live plants behind it and a large external filter.

The Fish soon make sure the gravels spread about and not so neat, lol. But I think it looks cool with the gravel like that.

554648_4206539361224_1241337396_n.jpg

Edited by Prin44

I personally decided to go bare bottom because I'd rather fit more water in my tank than have gravel. Since I only have a 29g and I definitely can't upgrade anytime in the near future I try to make up for it with as much water volume as possible along with good filtration and frequent water changes. I have Ecocomplete for gravel in my planted tropical tank so I get the best of both worlds. Before I started hanging out on Kokos I never would have thought about not having gravel. I was always told that you need it for your cycle, but in reality most the beneficial bacteria are in your filter :)

I can't read my fish's thoughts (Though I'm pretty sure their thoughts are just, "blub blub food".) but they used to have gravel and I don't think they cared when I removed it. They have a bunch of anubias which are glued to rocks along with a few random pebbles so they like pushing those around the tank for entertainment.