Tail biting

Andrea

Just an update :)

I am still cycling the new tank as the ph's are not the same so I am just waiting to see what happens, though the problem is sort of with the tank Klaus is currently in (the small one).

My tap ph is 7.6, my goldfish tank is always 7.6, the new tank with no fish in it is 7.6 but the tank Klaus is in is something like 7.0-7.2 (I couldn't tell the difference between the colours). Is there any reason this could be? I've always had a stable ph but this one is different and I can't think of why. I only have some small black gravel in there, a fake ornament, one plant and a filter.

Klaus is doing ok. No more tail biting, but a bit more fin rot has developed on his fins though at the same time I am now seeing new growth :) I have changed to doing 50% water changes every 2-3 days and he seems happy. No more salt for now.

I was hoping on moving him today, but what do you think about the ph difference?

pH will change due to the GH and KH of the tank water, but providing it's stable, I wouldn't bother messing around with it :)

You can move him today providing the levels for ammonia and nitrite are 0ppm, and nitrate no higher than 10ppm. Just acclimatise him as you would a new fish, and he'll be fine with the pH.

Edited by Narny105

Ammonia in both tanks is 0.25 :( But nitrites and nitrates are both zero. If I move him, which I will, I'll just keep a very close eye on that ammonia!

Thanks for the help. I'll get a photo up of his new digs too!

• 4 weeks later...

Just a long overdue update :)

Klaus did well with his change over to the new tank and he seems happy in his new tank. I haven't had the money to buy a light so a lot of the plants have died a little bit (plus I am horrible at keeping aquarium plants alive!) but it's on the to do list.

I'm just a bit worried as though his tail is healing, it's healing extremely slowly and his bottom fins don't seem to be healing at all? I can see tiny red dots on his bottom fins. But there has only been one episode of tail biting since he moved and that was right at the start.

Ammonia was present in the tank for the first few weeks, but not anymore since this week with the parameters being:

ammonia: 0

nitrite: 0

nitrate: 0-5 (very pale orange, but not yellow)

I have attached some photos and a video to give you a better idea (you may want to mute it as my music is playing in the background :P)

I am not too worried, but was looking for a course of action? Continue what I'm doing? Add salt? Right now there is no salt, I stay away from it now, but just Prime and water changes :)

DSC00810_zps771faf94.jpg

DSC00808_zpsdb7d6308.jpg

DSC00812_zps26f40cc1.jpg

http://s1117.beta.photobucket.com/user/Andrea-Cronshaw/media/M4V00815_zps0d89ab4e.mp4.html

Glad the move went well! I can see some regrowth which is the clear lining around the fins. But other than that, it will heal on its own time, and that is a slow process. It can take anywhere up to 6 months for the fins to completely heal and grow back to proper length provided he no longer nips, however chances are the fins will never heal back to their original state since nippers are often nippers for life.

I would expect the finds to neaten up and get some length, but unfortunately I don't think he'll ever have complete halfmoon fins. Could be wrong though ;)

Aw that's ok, I just want to know he is happy and healthy. It was worrying me a bit, but it is definitely on the mend, I didn't know it could take that long but it is good to know so I don't stress.

Thank you for all your help again through this whole thing. It's been very helpful :)

Glad the move went well! I can see some regrowth which is the clear lining around the fins. But other than that, it will heal on its own time, and that is a slow process. It can take anywhere up to 6 months for the fins to completely heal and grow back to proper length provided he no longer nips, however chances are the fins will never heal back to their original state since nippers are often nippers for life.

I would expect the finds to neaten up and get some length, but unfortunately I don't think he'll ever have complete halfmoon fins. Could be wrong though ;)

If he flares they should still spread half moon (180 degrees), they'll just be shorter in some areas. If he didn't nip too much than his fins may fully grow, however the more he nips the less likely it is that they will regain their original length and the slower regrowth will be. As long as there isn't any rot present (which there doesn't appear to be) I wouldn't worry, just keep an eye on him! :)

If he flares they should still spread half moon (180 degrees), they'll just be shorter in some areas. If he didn't nip too much than his fins may fully grow, however the more he nips the less likely it is that they will regain their original length and the slower regrowth will be. As long as there isn't any rot present (which there doesn't appear to be) I wouldn't worry, just keep an eye on him! :)

He has actually never flared that I have seen, including when I put a mirror up next to him. So I just have myself a lover not a fighter? Haha, I dunno. But he does often stretch out all his fins and he does look beautiful when he does that.

sorry, I meant not having completely halfmoon fins as not having fully grown fins, not meaning it won't still spread halfmoon :P

He has actually never flared that I have seen, including when I put a mirror up next to him. So I just have myself a lover not a fighter? Haha, I dunno. But he does often stretch out all his fins and he does look beautiful when he does that.

My older sister had a betta many years ago that would not flare even with a mirror. I guess being a lover not a fighter is a good way to put it :P Him stretching out his fins is great! I would be worried if he was all clamped and refused to flare :)

My older sister had a betta many years ago that would not flare even with a mirror. I guess being a lover not a fighter is a good way to put it :P Him stretching out his fins is great! I would be worried if he was all clamped and refused to flare :)

He is actually more friendly than Clementine my goldfish, though I think that says more about her than him ;) I think it's the perfect way to put it hehe and it doesn't bother me at all, but he definitely does stretch out and seems quite content. I'm already so attached :)