Shrimp question

Gcourtney

YEP! You sure can. Make sure they are well fed, and they have lots of plants. The ghost shrimp can bully the cherries a little over food, as they are a little larger as adults. Just make sure there's enough for everyone, though, and they will do just fine!

The only problems you'll really run into trying to house different freshwater shrimp species together is if you try to add macrobrachium, which are highly aggressive and will even attack fish in your tank, with non-aggressive shrimp species. They are usually pretty easy to identify, though, as many of the macros have big crab like claws, or resemble scorpions, without the stinger... and live in the water. Some species of ghost shrimp are macrobrachiums, in which case they shouldn't be housed with RCSs, but most of the ones at your larger chain LFSs are palaemonates- which are pretty peaceful. If you're in doubt- snap a pic, and attach it to the thread, please! :)

EDIT: The ghosts may also try to eat the smaller cherries if they are not fed enough. As long as there is plenty to eat, though, the ghost shrimp should leave the juvie and adult cherries alone. Babies, of either species, very well may be eaten... which is where the heavy plant cover comes in. Getting more cherries than you have ghosts is also a good general rule of thumb.

Edited by JamieMonster

Thanks , it is moderately planted with lots of hair grass , crypts and wisteria ' and java moss and my ghosts are paleamonates , right now it's in a algae boom witch I am getting back in control of . My Lfs has a tank labeled fancy shrimps with is really just an RC shrimp tank , and occasionally some other species mixed in.

Edited by Gustave

Thanks , it is moderately planted with lots of hair grass , crypts and wisteria ' and java moss and my ghosts are paleamonates , right now it's in a algae boom witch I am getting back in control of . My Lfs has a tank labeled fancy shrimps with is really just an RC shrimp tank , and occasionally some other species mixed in.

Cool- can't wait to see pics! Bump it up to heavily planted, if you want babies from any of the shrimp or guppies to survive. Otherwise, sounds good! :D

Edited by JamieMonster

Cool- can't wait to see pics! Bump it up to heavily planted, if you want babies from any of the shrimp or guppies to survive. Otherwise, sounds good! :D

ok I will check out the plants at the Lfs tommorrow