Is permanant marker safe?

cmclien

I want to mark off where 20g, 30g etc is in a solid color bin so I need to do it on the inside. Right now I have duct tape there and am wondering what is safer the tape or permanent marker?

Edited by CindiL

Im not sure really, I would think non-toxic marker better than tape but thats a total guess.

Maybe you could mark them with lines of aquarium silicone instead? then youd know its safe? :)

If it's a solid bin rather than a clear bin, it's much easier to read when it's marked on the inside.

I have a solid white bucket I use to make my homemade liquid laundry soap, so marking it on the inside makes things a lot easier.

As to it being safe, I'm not really sure. I have some on the outside of my aquarium along one side edge to mark the amounts for water changes, but otherwise I've never used it inside anything that would have fish in it.

Check your marker -- it probably says "non-toxic" on it. Most markers are these days. That should ease your mind.

Hey, you're right, it says non-toxic right on it :)

Just keep in mind that you'll probably have to re-mark it later. :) Permanent markers aren't really permanent, just resistant to most wear and fading. In water though, they eventually can and will wear off depending on how long it's submerged and other factors.

Personally though, I wouldn't feel comfortable putting permanent marker in water I plan on putting in the fish tank.

You could try scoring the sides with a knife, not deep enough to cut through, just deep enough to leave visible lines.

Just keep in mind that you'll probably have to re-mark it later. :) Permanent markers aren't really permanent, just resistant to most wear and fading. In water though, they eventually can and will wear off depending on how long it's submerged and other factors.

Personally though, I wouldn't feel comfortable putting permanent marker in water I plan on putting in the fish tank.

You could try scoring the sides with a knife, not deep enough to cut through, just deep enough to leave visible lines.

I did something similar once, but I heated up the tip of nail under a flame....I then scribed/melted several lines at various levels within the interior of the bin. You can even write the various depth level in centimeters alongside each line.

Just a suggestion...... :carrot:

P.S.

Just don't press too hard or :oops: you'll have a fountain onto the carpet that you didn't plan for!!!

Edited by Phillyn17

Why are you uncomfortable? Is there some dye in markers that is extremely toxic? It would have to be extremely toxic for the tiny amount that would leach out in any batch of stored water to be harmful.