Dropsy?

Vdubbchic

Hey guys I'm unsure if this is dropsy or just typical ryukin growing! Thanks for help!

Test Results for the Following:

* Ammonia Level (tank):0

* Nitrite Level (tank) o

* Nitrate level (Tank) 10

* Ammonia Level (Tap): 0

* Nitrite Level (Tap)0

* Nitrate level (Tap)0

* Ph Level, (Tank) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.9

* Ph Level, (Tap) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8.0

Other Required Info:

* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API liquid

* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Ehiem for 2217

* What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime

* Water temperature? 72

* How often do you change the water and how much? 1 a week 50 percent

* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Yesterday 50 percent

* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 75 gallons. A year

* How many fish in the tank and their size? 5 all under three inches

* What do you feed your fish and how often? 2 x morning medi gold and then veggies

* Any new fish added to the tank? No

* Any medications added to the tank? Recently treatment for flukes praziquantel. All done now

* List previous issues experienced (dropsy, SBD, etc.)

* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? No

* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? No

* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Prazi three weeks

* You can really help us to identify with the concern more accurately if you post some pictures and a short video.

How do I post a pic?

Direct link

Edited by Vdubbchic

Create an account on photobucket, snap your pictures, and then upload them. Once you upload them to photobucket, you reply to the post. Hover your cursor over the post options until you see the word "image" pop up. It's a little square picture. copy and paste your picture url into the bar, hit enter, and your picture should show up in the reply.

If you still can't find your way, just copy and paste the links, and I'll post them for you. I hope your fish feels better very soon.

Edited by yafashelli

Hi, sorry you may be having issues!

why are you feeding the medi gold if you are unaware of the issue?

To post a picture, you can upload on photo bucket, then copy the image url across. Or, you can upload on facebook and then copy the image :)

Sorry I took awhile to respond! He is in a qt tank. I have been doing water changes daily, treated with 1/4 tsp epson salt. He is also on metro meds. He is swimming and eating, but still has raised scales. I have never dealt with this before so I don't know what to expect or how quickly to see improvement. He acts normal besides the raised scales and bloating. Is this typical?

He does seem to be pineconing less now though. Sorry still having picture posting issues. I'm on my iPad.

boards)

Edited by Vdubbchic

The mods will need some questions answered:

How many days has the fish been in epsom?

How many days has the fish been eating metromeds? How many pellets have you been feeding a day?

What does the poop look like?

Can you provide a top view pic of your fish so we can see the raised scales? (posting pics link is in my siggy :) )

Thank you very much I hope your fish is feeling better.

Sorry I took awhile to respond! He is in a qt tank. I have been doing water changes daily, treated with 1/4 tsp epson salt. He is also on metro meds. He is swimming and eating, but still has raised scales. I have never dealt with this before so I don't know what to expect or how quickly to see improvement. He acts normal besides the raised scales and bloating. Is this typical?

He does seem to be pineconing less now though. Sorry still having picture posting issues. I'm on my iPad.

boards)

If you are on your iPad and took pics with it as well. You will want to download the Photobucket app, sign up for an account, and then upload pics directly from your iPad. Then you can share the link with us. :)

Hi guys thanks for answering me! He has been on metro meds for 6 days now. I feed him about 6 pellets a day. He is about the size of a golfball.

He is now off the epson salt because he was on Epson salt for 8 days per advice from this site about dropsy. It said no longer than that amount? 1/4 teaspoon.

His poop is solid brown.

I have to run my daughter to school. I change his water everyday in the hospital tank so I will take a top view pic then. I will also download the app so hopefully I can upload it without a problem! Thank guys. Not sure where to go from here with my little guy.

Oh! I was only feeding him 6 pellets. It didn't say how much to feed him! He is roughly the size of a golf ball. I will start feeding him more then! If he does get better how long can it take? How long do I feed him the MM. And will it be safe to eventually bring him back to his tank mates? Sorry for all the questions. Never had this happen before!

Oh! I was only feeding him 6 pellets. It didn't say how much to feed him! He is roughly the size of a golf ball. I will start feeding him more then! If he does get better how long can it take? How long do I feed him the MM. And will it be safe to eventually bring him back to his tank mates? Sorry for all the questions. Never had this happen before!

Please ask all the questions you want. :)

Metro-Meds are usually taken for at least 14 days. Given that you have been underfeeding, let's consider today as day 1, and we will need to evaluate before stopping.

If you can weigh the fish, we can tell you exactly how many pellets to feed.

Hopefully the fish can go back with his/her friends after the treatment. :)

Okay! No more salt though right? I did it epson salt for eight days and that's it. While I have your ear...lol, I have a ranchu I just got about a week or more ago. He is in a qt. from day 1 this is how he has been. Even in the store. His head down and tail up. He comes out to eat swims for a bit and then goes back to the position. Is this something to be worried about? It's a 29 gallon tank. He is about an inch long, literally a baby.

Here is a quick video...

http://i1293.photobucket.com/albums/b584/Dana_La_Scala-_Huckle/d33e9a51ac7d3065428d3e92eb3940d3_zps599e351f.mp4

Edited by Vdubbchic

The baby may need metro meds too? I had started prazi treatment, but had ammonia spike of .25 and the ph got thrown off. So I had to change the water day two of treatment. So I am still fussing with the ammonia. For some reason it was hanging around .25. I thought the tank was cycled , I also had substrate from my cycled 75 gallon in that tank. So not sure why it was spiking.

I want to help this little guy, let me know when you think I should start MM. Or what I should do for him. Thanks for the help!

Once he is healthy ill be moving him to a 75 gallon tank.

Would you please start a new thread on him, just so that we can stay on one track with each? I do think that he may need MMs, but I'd like to have all the info before me, before making the final suggestion, if you don't mind. :)