Bad day in betta town

Avepico

This is more of rant/venting than anything. I got off work today and the HOB filter in my sorority tank had kicked the bucket. No clue why, it just stopped. I have a small canister filter in the budget in the short term but not that short term. I was in the middle of jury-rigging a powerhead to the spongefilter with the output going into the media basket of the HOB (Works great BTW.) when my phone rings.

My friend that got my male betta had shown his little girl how he feeds the fish. So... she fed the fish. ALL of the fish food. I drained and refilled tank four times and told him that his best chance is that the pond snail population will boom, eat the remaining food, the assassin snail population will boom, eat the pond snails, and if he keeps up WC's for a week or two, he might not kill all the fish. Then I harvest assassin snails. The only other option I saw was to completely drain the tank, rinse the substrate and all the plants, and probably kill off a lot of BB in the substrate.

If he doesn't, he will likely have dead fish. As much as I hate to possibly doom the fish, they need to learn how to care for the fish. I will always be there to help, and will do a WC when I babysit on Thursday, but sometimes consequences teach more lessons than advice.

I will be over there tomorrow anyways, and will test the water.

The feeding lesson is not for the child, it is for the parents having the fish food where the child can feed it to the fish, IMO. They have fixed that issue.

I told my 5yr old son that he is to never feed the fish and that if he fed them to much they would explode. I feel bad but its better then him getting into the fish food! Now whenever i feed them he tells me mommy do not give them to much. Its kinda cute that he worries about them!! The food really should be hidden around small children!

I told my 5yr old son that he is to never feed the fish and that if he fed them to much they would explode. I feel bad but its better then him getting into the fish food! Now whenever i feed them he tells me mommy do not give them to much. Its kinda cute that he worries about them!! The food really should be hidden around small children!

That is almost where I am at with my 38 year friend. "You're feeding them how much?!". Having said that, I think most of us can look back on mistakes we made and wonder why we did what we did. Whether we learn from our mistakes and amend our behavior is the true test.

Never be afraid to scrub out an entire tank. As long as the filter media is in good shape, you won't lose enough BBs by cleaning the substrate to make any difference to your cycle. Not much in the way of BBs live in the substrate anyway, mostly in the filter. :)

Completely cleaned out the male betta's tank tonight. Removed everything living, thoroughly rinsed the substrate, and set it back up. That should give everyone a nice clean home.