Increasing Filtration Accuracy

Just wondering.

I was thinking of separating mechanical and chemical filtration to two separate canister filters. Would this be more efficient? I think it would for some reason and would make cleaning and maintenance less of a hassle

Canister filter #1: mechanical only

Canister filter #3: biological only

any thoughts?

Actually I think this makes quite a bit of sense. While one has a strong and fast turnover rate to remove debris, the other filter set on a slower rate would give the BBs more time to efficiently process the toxins.

But of course I don't know if "scientifically" it really works this way or if it does not matter.

It does make sense, but I also think that both filters would wind up doing both unless you put a sponge over the intake to your biological filter or something to keep the large debris out.

Its a waste. Both canisters should serve to its fullest potentials. Both should have the first stage foam paddings. As for the exit stages with different compartments, ya can do the same for both or slightly different.

Why would it be a waste?

Anyway, the only problem I see with a canister dedicated only to biological filtration is that you will still get unwanted waste materials trapped in there. To set this up properly, you would still need some sort of mechanical pre-filter to catch on the gunk before they lodge themselves in the bio-media.

Its a waste. Both canisters should serve to its fullest potentials. Both should have the first stage foam paddings. As for the exit stages with different compartments, ya can do the same for both or slightly different.

Why would it be a waste?

Anyway, the only problem I see with a canister dedicated only to biological filtration is that you will still get unwanted waste materials trapped in there. To set this up properly, you would still need some sort of mechanical pre-filter to catch on the gunk before they lodge themselves in the bio-media.

You could probably put a prefilter on the intake for the biological cannister.

YES!

A pre-filter would totally work. My reasoning behind separating bio and chemical filtration is that (to my knowledge) water turnover (gallons per hour) decreases with the amount of media inside the canister filter.