Would a dresser be able to hold a fish tank?

abcdomo

I have actually seen a 125 with cinder blocks on corners. When I asked about the center, it was what I was told, corners is important.

Yeah people say all kinds of things. However, you seeing one persons tank once and hearing something they said does not equal it being the truth forever. Of course corners are important, but so is the middle, and we aren't talking about cinder blocks, were talking about a dresser.

What if she had an old, thin pine dresser? One with a crack in the center? You just can't tell people any tank on any surface is OK! Its really unsafe.

1) A tank that's on a desk.

2) Not a big tank

3) Said nothing about damage.

4) Dressers are generally solid.

My opinion that placing a tank on a desser will work was justified. And the person asked a "general" question more along the line of "can dressers be used as stands" which the general answer to that is, yes.

That's it. That's all they wanted to know. Move on.

To the original poster, yes, a lot of furniture are used as aquarium stand every day. Its common. Its not weird or wrong. Ya be amazed how creative people can be. If ya have any further questions, feel free to ask.

A 60 gallon tank weighs at least 480 lbs. Easily enough to hurt someone, damage a home, etc. So yes, the materials and specifics matter. Telling someone sight unseen that any tank on any dresser furniture will be fine, without knowing what floor it will go on, if its a load bearing wall, etc, is irresponsible and dangerous. That's all I have to say about it.

Edited by GreenTea

I wasn't sure what to put this under but I was wondering about if a dresser would be able to hold the weight of a fish tank. I mean my tank is on a desk right now but at the same time it isn't a big tank therefore it won't do much. Any of you guys use something as a stand that isn't a fish tank stand? Will a dresser be able to hold a fish tank? also how do you know if it will be able to? someone said to sit on it with a bunch of friends and see if it buckles.

No mention of tank size, Green Tea, read above.

You need to stop and chill. I caught that name calling before edit. You are so wrong in many ways. Of course she isn't gonna be talking about a mini tiny dressers. Most dressers are large. She never said the size tho. And you are not understanding how she was asking like in general term. Back off.

Nice trying to get me in trouble but I didn't call you an names. Just pointed out there was proof, for you, that your advice was irresponsible. Since you cant be reasoned with, I was hoping you would go to the first page and look for yourself, to see that she mentioned a large tank, and we had no other info which could make it dangerous.

ABCdomo I'm sorry your topic got so off track. I apologize.

Edited by GreenTea

Okay guys, let's leave this issue be. You have both said your piece. In the future it is important to find out specifics of a situation prior to providing advice or to make certain that the OP knows that you are providing general advice that may not necessarily apply to their specific situation. I understand that you were providing general advice Jesse, and you are correct that dresser's can be used as stands, it may just have not been clear that this was general advice and not a go-ahead to the OP for their specific situation ;)

Let's move on from here :)

bth_houseandowen2006021_zpscbfc631b.jpgThis th_houseandowen2006023_zps7ced2633.jpgis a pic of my 108 gal. There were 2 support posts between the 3 rows of drawers that were solid 2"x2" and there was no sagging whatsoever.

I am jealous of both the furniture, and the tank. Both are beautiful pieces of art. :)

Thank-you! I spent many, many hours sitting in front of it!