Would a dresser be able to hold a fish tank?

abcdomo

I wasn't sure what to put this under but I was wondering about if a dresser would be able to hold the weight of a fish tank. I mean my tank is on a desk right now but at the same time it isn't a big tank therefore it won't do much. Any of you guys use something as a stand that isn't a fish tank stand? Will a dresser be able to hold a fish tank? also how do you know if it will be able to? someone said to sit on it with a bunch of friends and see if it buckles.

Is it solid wood? How big of a tank will it have to hold?

I was asking for future refrence and probably a 50gal-60gal. I read that its better if it has legs in the middle also, would it help if the dresser completely touched the floor?

I keep my 30G on my wood dresser. It hasn't bowed the wood or rotted from any dropped water or anything negative at all in the 6 months I've had it there. As long as you feel comfortable trying it (or maybe get a few friends together and all stand on it to check its sturdiness) I think it would be safe.

I don't know, we had our 20g on a solid wood nightstand and it was fine and maybe even a 30g would be fine too, but I would be hesitant to put a 50 or 60 gallon tank on a dresser (but this would depend on if its solid wood etc) because they can weight as much as 400-500pounds not counting substrate. I would get a stand made to withstand that kind of weight if you go that big.

Are there any small children in the house that could come into contact with this set up if there is please consider anchoring the dresser to the wall. As an aunt who lost a niece to a dresser tip over I do not recommend doing this because the dresser was just not made to withstand the weight of the tank.

I had my 108gal. on a nine drawer(6ft) dresser for seven years with no problems. It is a strong well-built piece that is fairly heavy on its own so I had to have it on a load bearing wall but never had a probem structurally or with the tank and stand.

I think for up to about 20 gallons, provided the dresser is reasonably well built, you would probably be fine. For more than that, just like with whether or not a floor can support a tank, it's just too dependent on the dresser and the specific situation to make a call like that. Many people have tanks on dressers and do fine with them, but they don't have your tank on your dresser.

I would suggest looking around at various DIY stand instructions on the internet to see what kinds of things are necessary for a stand, and use that information to make an assessment about your dresser. At least this is easier than judging the structural integrity of the floor, as you can see inside the dresser yourself to make these judgments. :)

I have sturdy dresser that holds my 30 gallon. I you are wondering about the wight of the tank, there are about ten pounds for each gallon. ;)

Are there any small children in the house that could come into contact with this set up if there is please consider anchoring the dresser to the wall. As an aunt who lost a niece to a dresser tip over I do not recommend doing this because the dresser was just not made to withstand the weight of the tank.

I am so sorry. :(

I have sturdy dresser that holds my 30 gallon. I you are wondering about the wight of the tank, there are about ten pounds for each gallon.

Yes, but that's the weight of the water alone. Add substrate, filters, tank hood, etc. and it can weigh significantly more. Another plus of bare bottom or light-substrate tanks. ;)

Up to 25-30 gallons, I'd feel comfortable with a well-built piece of furniture. Bigger than that and I'd personally prefer a dedicated aquarium stand that distributes weight evenly and is designed expressly to hold a large tank.

I have sturdy dresser that holds my 30 gallon. I you are wondering about the wight of the tank, there are about ten pounds for each gallon.

Yes, but that's the weight of the water alone. Add substrate, filters, tank hood, etc. and it can weigh significantly more. Another plus of bare bottom or light-substrate tanks. ;)

Up to 25-30 gallons, I'd feel comfortable with a well-built piece of furniture. Bigger than that and I'd personally prefer a dedicated aquarium stand that distributes weight evenly and is designed expressly to hold a large tank.

I forgot to mention that. :P Thank you for clarifying. :D

Edited by teleSC

I got a coffee table for a stand with my 55 gallon in the living room. I am ok with it because it is an old well built coffee table from a consignment store. The lady selling it to me checked how much a 55 filled with water would weigh, said that's about how much I weigh, anthem jumped on it! Anyway she made the sale lol

I got a coffee table for a stand with my 55 gallon in the living room. I am ok with it because it is an old well built coffee table from a consignment store. The lady selling it to me checked how much a 55 filled with water would weigh, said that's about how much I weigh, anthem jumped on it! Anyway she made the sale lol

:o Lol!

I have my 40 gallon on a tv stand and it works perfectly and is extremely sturdy. I got it for about 60 dollars at Ikea which is an awesome deal for a stand in my opinion :) hope this sorta helps

It will hold. The middle isn't important. Its the weight on all 4 corners.

How can you say this? Thunder I keep seeing you say things that are incorrect and in this case, potentially dangerous. What if the middle is weak? Over time it can crack, become warped, moldy, cave in, etc. It is just not OK to tell someone sight unseen that any tank on any dresser is safe.

Edited by GreenTea

How can you say this? Thunder I keep seeing you say things that are incorrect and in this case, potentially dangerous. What if the middle is weak? Over time it can crack, become warped, moldy, cave in, etc. It is just not OK to tell someone sight unseen that any tank on any dresser is safe.

Its a fact that weight of tank is more on the corners.

Its a fact that weight of tank is more on the corners.

It's true that the best stands are made to transfer the weight of the tank down to the ground most efficiently at the corners, but it's also true that for the integrity of the structure as a whole, the rest of the structure should be taken into account. I don't think anyone here would put a tank on a stand made out of four cinder blocks, one at each corner, and there's a reason for that. The tank needs to be supported across the entire base. If the middle is bowing, the whole structure could be compromised, and then all that weight at the corners would no longer be supported either.

bth_houseandowen2006021_zpscbfc631b.jpgThis th_houseandowen2006023_zps7ced2633.jpgis a pic of my 108 gal. There were 2 support posts between the 3 rows of drawers that were solid 2"x2" and there was no sagging whatsoever.

I am jealous of both the furniture, and the tank. Both are beautiful pieces of art. :)

I have actually seen a 125 with cinder blocks on corners. When I asked about the center, it was what I was told, corners is important.

Yeah people say all kinds of things. However, you seeing one persons tank once and hearing something they said does not equal it being the truth forever. Of course corners are important, but so is the middle, and we aren't talking about cinder blocks, were talking about a dresser.

What if she had an old, thin pine dresser? One with a crack in the center? You just can't tell people any tank on any surface is OK! Its really unsafe.