Sign in to follow this  
RanchuDressing

So tell me about Repashy...

Jeez, I disappear for 6 months and barely understand the lingo around here. So tell me all about this Repashy food that everyone seems so keen on. I get that it's powdered gel food you add water to, but want to know why it's great -- sell me on it! What I've read so far sounds good, but what makes it superior to other foods? Oh, and last question: Does it affect color? I usually have at least one goldie with a white color base, so will it alter that? In my laundry and in my goldfish, I like to get my whites their whitest. :P

Not sure about color changes. I am feeding community plus. I like it cause they can graze on it. I also like it cause they like it. I do not feed it as their main diet. It's a treat for mine. I still use pro gold for that.

OH and it does not mess up the water.

Edited by Hidr

Well, I can tell you why I like it so much. :) I personally use both the Soilent Green and Super Green, and mix them together using 1 part Soilent Green, 2 parts Super Green. It is just a dry powder that you add to boiling water, pour into a mold, and let it set. It can then be frozen or stored in the fridge for up to one week. Very easy to make and has a great consistency!

Soilent Green is made up of natural plant matter and animal proteins. Basically, a lot of algae and little crustaceans that wild carp would be eating a lot of in nature. Some people have had issues feeding this type of Repashy to their older fish, since it has a high protein content, which is why I mix mine with Super Green which is made up of only plant matter. I would recommend doing this for your fish since they look very mature (and gorgeous, btw!!). If you have any youngsters who are still growing, you can feed only Soilent Green or a mixture with more Soilent Green, since the additional protein will help them grow.

Some people have also had issues for the first few weeks switching over to this food, so if you do try it, it would be best to slowly introduce it into their diet. I have been feeding it to my girls for the past 6 months, and they have both tripled in size and have been very healthy. I definitely recommend it. :)

Soilent Green will turn a white fish into.. well a white fish with a yellow tint to it. :)

Not sure about color changes. I am feeding community plus. I like it cause they can graze on it. I also like it cause they like it. I do not feed it as their main diet. It's a treat for mine. I still use pro gold for that.

OH and it does not mess up the water.

Oh! I forgot about the color changing part. It can definitely give the fish a yellow tone around their face and fins. This is a lot more noticable for white fish. Their are picture examples somewhere. ;)

Buttons has some yellow tinting. But I don't know that her white would been a bright white on other foods cause she has been eating it since I got her.

Here is a good example of Sakura's Ryukin, Clover. His yellow tinting is common with Repashy, and at one point she posted a before and after picture showing his color change while on the food (which I cannot find!) Maybe she will see this and post comparison pictures. ;)

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/104414-clover-callisto/page__p__1319516__hl__+sakura%20+repashy__fromsearch__1#entry1319516

There is also the review that I wrote many months ago in the reviews section.

Soilent Green will turn a white fish into.. well a white fish with a yellow tint to it. :)

Yes. :) My Oki has a yellow tint on some parts of her body. :)

My ranchu got a yellow twang to the white. Great food though.

Without reading any other replies, Repashy Soilent Green (Super Green might be preferred for adult goldfish, or a mix of Soilent and Super Green) has made a HUGE difference in my food-related floaters. When feeding S.G. I see barely any floating, if any at all.

Yes, it does improvement in coloration which may affect white based fish, but with all the benefits coming from it, I really don't care about yellow patches on my white ribbontail. :)

Here's what I wrote about it on my blog

"I’d recommend Soilent Green as a partial diet for younger fish which can be enriched with things like bloodworms (as I’ve done). For more mature fish who don’t need a high protein diet this algae based gelfood is perfect. It’s 25% algae and it contains whole ingredients like whole krill, squid, sardine, and anchovy. I really recommend it to replace pelleted foods in fish with swim bladder problems because the binding agent only makes up 5% of the mix and it algae based so it is easily digestible; unlike gelatin and nearly every binding agent in commercial pellets. I’m continuing to feed a pellet mix along with the gelfood to encourage growth, but Kai really loved it. I made a few gifs of her chomping down on it like a tiny shark."

2012-09-2514-56-19701_zps2e07b378.gif

2012-09-2514-54-15299_zpsf5c1ee7a.gif

2012-09-2514-53-47767_zpse6e1c73f.gif

Some gifs of kai tearing into it the first time I gave it to her.

Cuteness overload with those animated gifs! :)

Thanks, everyone, for the good info. It sounds like really excellent food, and I always have at least one floaty-inclined fish.

Mnemosyne used to have a clear white tail. It is now a pasty yellow color. Juno always had a yellow tint but he's an absolute lemon now, which might be the Repashy influence. Funnily enough, it hasn't had any effect on Mars.

I do have to mention that I have seen cloudiness issues with Repashy I have frozen. It doesn't bother me; the fish love the food, it is great for them and that is what matters.

^try feeding smaller amounts but more frequently. I freeze too and his work better it seems.

My guys LOVE repashy SG. I feed it in combination with Pro Gold pellets from GFK. :) It has definitely given my red cap a yellow-green tinge, but they love it so much, I try not to mind. I also love that super bright white, so I hear you!

we also have a new sponsor who sells it (and other fishy things) to us at great prices ;) tastyworms.com

I used to feed it exclusively but I think I like it best now as part of their daily diet instead of all of their daily diet so I feed it once a day along with saki hikari purple and veggies. It definitely helps with floatiness issues, I agree on this wholeheartedly. I mix half soilent green and half super green as I only have one young one now who can eat anything with zero issues. I find feeding a small amount in the same meal as pellets reduces buoyancy issues in general that I would otherwise see with pellets alone.

You can purchase it in small 4oz bags to try it out and you can mix as small a batch as you want as long as you keep the ratio. I mix 1tbsp mix now with 3 tbsp hot water. This is off the top of my head but I'm pretty sure its a 1 to 3 ratio.

Edit: I forgot to add that it definitely has added yellow to my fantail on his chest and neck area but I think its pretty on him :)

Edited by CindiL

It does add yellow. My fantail lost pretty much all of his orange color in the last few months, but on Repashy he's gone as yellow as a lemon.

I just bought some Repashy Soilient Green this week. I haven't tried it yet though. My Ryukin gets VERY floaty with Pro Gold...so I guess I have to stop using it. (although my Orando and Black Moore don't have problems with it...I'm not going to separate them at feeding time) So I'll be trying Repashy this weekend. My Oranda is almost completely white, so it'll be interesting to see if he turns yellow.