Stubby Ryukin QT thread

(skipping params because Alex said I could :P)

I picked this tiny fellow up from my local petsmart. He has been there longer than my defunct ranchu Sharkie, so well over 7months. He was always there, and is much smaller than any of the "medium" ryukins he was being sold with. His eyes seem very large to me and he just has a weird body shape and proportion. I saw him exhibiting SBD (floating) from time to time when I was in store, however he seems to be fine now. No doubt it was due to his poor diet and water conditions. I've never really seen a fish like him before, and felt really badly that he'd been there forever so I bought him. He appears to be in okay healthy besides being very small and stubby, he has a firm tummy and good appetite. Right now he's in QT with some barbs from the same store because there was ich present in a few tanks (dont worry there hasn't been any aggression, in fact they've taken to schooling with him) but I guess I wanted some opinions? does he look stunned/malnourished/odd etc? I'm going to weigh him as well and keep track to see if he gains any weight.

DSC09030.jpg

DSC09026.jpg

DSC09025.jpg

DSC09021.jpg

DSC09018.jpg

DSC09017.jpg

DSC09013.jpg

also name suggestions! :)

What a cutie! And good on u for adopting him!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

He is a very pretty fish. He may be a little stunted but what stands out to me is his belly. Normally ryukins have that nice round belly, so I would say malnourished? I know you can fatten him up :) His scales and eyes look clear. I really like him.

Sometimes fish look a little disproportioned when they grow, his eyes look a little big but th find don't look too long so he might not be stunted. He looks like an adorable shirt tail ryukin :) I got one of those from my Petco and she has slowly started to put on weight and grow, I thought she was stunted. Adding bloodworms to her diet helped a lot

Thanks for all the comments guys! I want him (or it looks like a him) to live with Kai in the 30 I'm storing in my garage atm. I just can't set it up until I make a stand for it, so they might be cramped in a 20 for a few weeks once he gets out of QT. So far so good! Things look like smooth sailing, and I'm sure he's much happier now that he's out of the cramped petsmart conditions. I just wanna save em all ya know? :(

:rofl I think they'll get along okay. Kai tends to not like fish with long fins (idk why?) she bullied cider and roos but got along fine with sharkie, orangepeel, and ushi. My bf wants to name him Ikura, because he is orange like salmon roe.