Please Help - advice needed on upgrading my tank :)

You just need to do as tithra said. I had the same one on my old 10 gallon and I transferred my cycle to the 40 that way. Having both filters on also gives you a couple of perks: a filter running if something happens to the other one and a filter at each end of the tank to help pick up debris and poo.

So the white bag is considered a 'cartridge'. Your new filter will likely come with these too. The instructions will tell you that you should replace them every 1-2 months etc. etc.

Basically cartridges are a scam and a waste of money :P The beneficial bacteria (BBs) that make up your cycle live primarily in the filter media (cartridge or whatever else you have in your filter). So, if you take out that cartridge and replace it with a new one every month like you're supposed to, you lose your cycle. These cartridges often contain carbon, which is just not necessary in a filter and also needs to be changed regularly.

Please take a look at this link that talks about how to set up your filters without cartridges. When you get the new filter, this is what you will want to do. http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/page/index.html/_/aquatic-equipment/simple-media-setup-for-hob-filters-r248

I would go ahead and run both filters side by side when you first get the tank. This will help seed the new filter. Once you feel confident that the tank is cycled, change out the old filter with the cartridge so that it is set up as described in the link above.

^ ooooh wow, so much info. Thanks!! So I won't really have to be changing anything monthly then? How often would I have to clean it and how would I do this? Just rinsing the "floss" and the rings once in a while when it gets gunky? ty :)

In the article, it says "In order to keep as many beneficial bacteria as possible, you should additionally add your current filter floss. If you can, remove the carbon. The plastic holders can go in the trash also."

Would that just be the sponge that is in a little plastic frame in front of the white cartridge? remove it from the plastic frame once I do what you suggested.... after the new filter is cycled and I am about to re-configure the old filter. I hope my petstore has those ceramic rings, if not I suppose I can order these online.

About how long should the transferance/cycling take? I know there is pinned threads on this so I'll take a look, and I'll have to be testing the water to monitor it.

Grah, I am so thankful I found Koko's! I don't know what I would do without your guys' advice. :) Probably have a very sick fishy. :(

Edited by Sennenko

Exactly. You need a filter that doesn't house bio media within carts. They need to be separate. For example, Emperor has the blue pad similar to your white pad and another slot for the bio media. The bio media slot is left alone except for once in a while rinising in tank water bucket to remove any excess gunks. The blue pads are replaced monthly which doesn't disturb the bio portion. Carbon isn't required and more like a preference. Carbon isn't a joke or waste of money. It assists with oder elimination and assist with water clarity. My blue filter pads in my Emperor filter contains carbon and I replace the pad once monthly, my preference. If you don't want carbon, ya can get any polyfiber padding to cut in shape/size to fit and rinse regularly and sometimes replace. Choosing the right kind of filter is the key.

^ ooooh wow, so much info. Thanks!! So I won't really have to be changing anything monthly then? How often would I have to clean it and how would I do this? Just rinsing the "floss" and the rings once in a while when it gets gunky? ty :)

Yep. So about monthly, just take the media in your filter and rinse it out in some tank water. Sponges/soft filter padding will last several months, they only need to be replaced when they begin to fall apart. Hard biomedia will last years, they only need to be replaced when they begin to wear down and crumble. When you replace any media you should always stagger it so that you don't lose your cycle. For example, you might replace all the filter padding in one filter, but wait another month or two to replace the media in the other filter. Plus you can do things like keeping an extra bag of biomedia in a filter that you can just pull out if you ever need to set up a QT tank :)

In the article, it says "In order to keep as many beneficial bacteria as possible, you should additionally add your current filter floss. If you can, remove the carbon. The plastic holders can go in the trash also."

Would that just be the sponge that is in a little plastic frame in front of the white cartridge? remove it from the plastic frame once I do what you suggested.... after the new filter is cycled and I am about to re-configure the old filter. I hope my petstore has those ceramic rings, if not I suppose I can order these online.

Yes. You can cut off the plastic frame, dump the carbon out and keep the soft padding that will have BBs in it. Then you can stick this in the new filter or keep it in the old filter along with the new media to seed it. You should have no trouble finding ceramic rings. They are often sold for use with canister filters, aqua clear brand filters sell boxes of them too. Just ask at the pet store, you should have several different choices :)

About how long should the transferance/cycling take? I know there is pinned threads on this so I'll take a look, and I'll have to be testing the water to monitor it.

You should technically be cycled instantly because there is no change in your bioload happening. You are just adding more water volume. However, do keep a close eye on the tank for the first week. For some reason people sometimes get a cycle bump when swapping tanks... I am not sure why, but its a good idea just to keep an eye on the ammonia and nitrite.

Grah, I am so thankful I found Koko's! I don't know what I would do without your guys' advice. :) Probably have a very sick fishy. :(

Please let us know if any other questions arise!

I will also say that I am not a big fan of internal filters simply because they don't give you a lot of room for media and they take up tank space. Once you get your new setup going and established, you may want to start looking at alternative filtration options :) But I wouldn't worry about it just yet. Get your tank set up and see how things go and you can make more decisions from there on exactly how you want your tank to be and what works best for you.

You guys, would this be a suitable stand? All of the premades are WAY too expensive, I checked my local thriftstores, and craigslist is bare.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_328959-80752-142430B-DS_4294857690__?productId=3468765&Ntt=freestanding%2Bwire%2Bshelves&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dfreestanding%252Bwire%252Bshelves&facetInfo=

My dimensions for the new tank are 24"long by 13" wide. This one is 24" long by 14" wide, says its capable of holding 250 lbs of weight. Would I need some wood or rubber to act as a pad between the tank and the metal shelf?

Then I was thinking of getting a velcro fabric skirt to make it look nicer and hide the equipment? :D <3

You guys, would this be a suitable stand? All of the premades are WAY too expensive, I checked my local thriftstores, and craigslist is bare.

http://www.lowes.com...lves&facetInfo=

My dimensions for the new tank are 24"long by 13" wide. This one is 24" long by 14" wide, says its capable of holding 250 lbs of weight. Would I need some wood or rubber to act as a pad between the tank and the metal shelf?

Then I was thinking of getting a velcro fabric skirt to make it look nicer and hide the equipment? :D <3

If you don't get more replies in this thread I'd suggest starting another thread in the DIY or equipment section of the forum asking about this shelving and also asking for cheap stand ideas. There are people for example who have made cheap stands out of cinder blocks :) We have lots of folks here that are very good at this sort of thing, but they may not see your post in this thread :)

A 20 gallon weighs about 230 lbs so technically this shelving might be ok, but I don't have good enough skills in this area to say one way or the other :P

http://www.lowes.com...lves&facetInfo=

Those shelves are surprisingly sturdy, but I'm not sure if it will hold over 200 lbs. Can you look up the weight recommendation for it?

No. It looks like even the top shelf is just attached to the side of the uprights.

Go to a second-hand store. You may be able to find an aquarium stand there, but you can certainly find a cheap, sturdy piece of furniture to use as one.

Definitely look in the DIY section for stands you can build. Cement blocks are very cheap and provide excellent support.

Edited by shakaho

bah, humbug. I do want it to be 100% safe though. Thanks guys.

The thift stoes here are completely bare in terms of suitable furniture pieces.... so I will have a look at the DIY section with cinderblocks... I would be worried about the extra weight from those on the floor though!

Oh dear, I believe the filter that came with the kit is not going to be enough truly.... :(

Surely it's the "quietflow 20" and as you've been saying, it should have at least 10X turnover rate... and I looked it up, which this one will be only 125. d'oh.

So as you said, I will 'seed' my kit filter with my small one i currently have, then once that runs side by side for a while (the little one will help at least somewhat?!) I just looked just and it says it does 90gph. And we may just barely be in the mark. As I saw on your youtube page, they really do less gph when it's all said and done.

So I could double up with the same larger filter (QuietFlow 20) or some brand similar after a while. Or could go even larger?

Your youtube page is SUPER informative, tithra! ty! :)

Edited by Sennenko

Oh dear, I believe the filter that came with the kit is not going to be enough truly....

Surely it's the "quietflow 20" and as you've been saying, it should have at least 10X turnover rate... and I looked it up, which this one will be only 125. d'oh.

So as you said, I will 'seed' my kit filter with my small one i currently have, then once that runs side by side for a while (the little one will help at least somewhat?!) I just looked just and it says it does 90gph. And we may just barely be in the mark. As I saw on your youtube page, they really do less gph when it's all said and done.

So I could double up with the same larger filter (QuietFlow 20) or some brand similar after a while. Or could go even larger?

Your youtube page is SUPER informative, tithra! ty!

Aw thank you Hun :)

Yeah, I had looked up the gph on that filter and saw it wasn't great, that's why I said it was best to run them both.

I would hold off a little before buying a new filter. Get the tank, see if you like the filter that comes with it, see what would even fit in the hood etc.

We'll all be happy to give you filter recommendations :) my biggest concern is how a second filter will fit with the hood that comes with the tank, this may limit your options a bit, but you'll need to see the tank first.